ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New ES impression

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 04:20 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New ES impression

And surprising. After time and acquaintance are established we reach acceptance and appreciation. This process is quicker for some than it is for others. I spent the morning driving the new ES models and getting to know them. The new front spindle actually improves the aerodynamics along with the air dam shaping. The architectural design of the dash is very appealing and reeks of luxury with its hand stitched panels which are produced by twelve Takumi craftsmen. Whether it has the Birdseye maple or the Eco friendly Bamboo the wood carries the theme horizontally across the dash and picks it up again on first the front door panels then the rear doors. This wraps you in a cocoon of polished surfaces that subliminally says "You have arrived." The use of piano black is also a signal of old word charm like a fine Steinway. Give it time.....

Rock
Old 08-21-12, 04:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
And surprising. After time and acquaintance are established we reach acceptance and appreciation. This process is quicker for some than it is for others. I spent the morning driving the new ES models and getting to know them. The new front spindle actually improves the aerodynamics along with the air dam shaping. The architectural design of the dash is very appealing and reeks of luxury with its hand stitched panels which are produced by twelve Takumi craftsmen. Whether it has the Birdseye maple or the Eco friendly Bamboo the wood carries the theme horizontally across the dash and picks it up again on first the front door panels then the rear doors. This wraps you in a cocoon of polished surfaces that subliminally says "You have arrived." The use of piano black is also a signal of old word charm like a fine Steinway. Give it time.....

Rock
Nice write up. Thanks.

I have a question regarding the 12 Takumi craftsmen. If the new ES sells as well as I think it will in both the North American market as well as others around the world where the ES is sold, how can those 12 guys keep up with demand/production? Maybe Lexus will have to outsource or automate the work??
Old 08-22-12, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've decided the two things I dislike about the interior vs the old car:

1. No wood on the console. I prefer the wood trim to piano black trim.

2. The door panels. They're so flat and with no adornment save the wood strip. I prefer the contours and organic curves in the door panels of my ES. Plastic quality below the armrest is also a step down, mine has high end padded vinyl, in the new ES the lower panel/map pocket area is hard plastic. The speaker grill is fabric in mine, hard plastic in the new one.
Old 08-22-12, 05:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES

2. The door panels. They're so flat and with no adornment save the wood strip. I prefer the contours and organic curves in the door panels of my ES. Plastic quality below the armrest is also a step down, mine has high end padded vinyl, in the new ES the lower panel/map pocket area is hard plastic. The speaker grill is fabric in mine, hard plastic in the new one.
Have not sat in it yet, but by pics the 2013 looks like a far better design than the last gen.
Old 08-22-12, 06:59 PM
mikedege
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you could fill us in on what you do like?

-Mike
Old 08-22-12, 09:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I already have, a few times. I think the interior of the new one overall is a huge improvement over the previous car. If there are only two things I don't like, that's pretty good.

On the exterior it's more than that. I miss the chrome accents to the door handles and base of the doors, I think it makes it look a little plain, especially on light colors.

Overall though I think it's a great car

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-22-12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 02:47 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Plastic quality below the armrest is also a step down, mine [2010 ES] has high end padded vinyl,
20 years ago base model Toyota Tercels had fully (tho thinly) padded vinyl door panels. Gradually over the years Toyota and Honda have been hard plasticizing the interiors of their "luxury" Lexus and Acura brands. Ditto the American luxury carmakers. Guess they figure the younger generations will never miss what they have never known - never known the rich looking, deeply padded fabric / velour interior of a 1970 Chevy Caprice or 1990 Toyota Cressida.
Old 08-23-12, 02:49 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the ES for the first time last weekend at an ATL dealer, this new ES is a 10 IMO. It definitely looks much better in person, which is typical of Lexus cars. The interior is a big improvement, center console, hand stiching around the dash and doors makes the interior look rich and upscale, Rockville's comments are on point . The exterior is nice, and the spindle grill actually looks very good, it gives the car an agressive, but elegant look at the same time. The rear has more of a LS look, which is a plus.

I agree with SW10ES, I think the chrome on the door handles provided a nice accent and I do wish they had integrated the exhaust tips as was done on the GS/LS. The engine cover was a nice add on and IMO overall it made the car look more upscale. Too bad they decided to drop it. However, the improvements far outweigh the few negatives I have.

Unfortunately, the only ES they had for me to test drive was a base model. We had found a Luxury plus model for me to test drive, but when we got ready to drive it, another saleman came out and told us the car had been sold. Lexus has a hit on their hands. In fact the salesman told me they sell as fast as they get them in, and another ATL dealer told me demand is outpacing supply right now, but I think this will improve as production ramps up.

As far as driving dynamics, normal mode felt slightly more stiffer than my 09, but not that much. The sport mode felt more 'firmer' especially so when I gave it some gas. I did not try the ECO mode, I will next time around. I also saw an Ultra model which looked like 'money'. It's probably sold by now, I'm sure.
Old 08-23-12, 02:51 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Nice write up. Thanks.

I have a question regarding the 12 Takumi craftsmen. If the new ES sells as well as I think it will in both the North American market as well as others around the world where the ES is sold, how can those 12 guys keep up with demand/production? Maybe Lexus will have to outsource or automate the work??
That probably goes for the bamboo steering wheel too....
Old 08-23-12, 03:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gemigniani
20 years ago base model Toyota Tercels had fully (tho thinly) padded vinyl door panels. Gradually over the years Toyota and Honda have been hard plasticizing the interiors of their "luxury" Lexus and Acura brands. Ditto the American luxury carmakers. Guess they figure the younger generations will never miss what they have never known - never known the rich looking, deeply padded fabric / velour interior of a 1970 Chevy Caprice or 1990 Toyota Cressida.
Yep, its a shame. Good point about the Cressida, my uncle had a 1990 Cressida which was a very nice, high quality car.
Old 08-25-12, 08:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I finally had a chance to sit and drive the new ES350. I will agree with you on the door panels, they seem a little flat and boring, materials have become much harder on the lower half.

Also, the soft material over the speakers is now hard Toyota like plastic like you said which does not belong in a Lexus.

Where this Lexus does well is the styling and the design, very nice design. Where it struggles is in some of the materials and it feels like there are a lot of bits and pieces all over the place.
Old 08-25-12, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah and a lot of that is cost cutting to hold the price. You gain in some areas, and loose in others.
Old 08-26-12, 03:47 PM
Onethinkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ES300h = perfect car. Great drive. My view: all is right. Zero issues. Love this car.
Old 09-03-12, 03:29 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I finally had a chance to sit and drive the new ES350. I will agree with you on the door panels, they seem a little flat and boring, materials have become much harder on the lower half.

Also, the soft material over the speakers is now hard Toyota like plastic like you said which does not belong in a Lexus.

Where this Lexus does well is the styling and the design, very nice design. Where it struggles is in some of the materials and it feels like there are a lot of bits and pieces all over the place.
These are the things my wife and I both dislike. We were set to get an ESh... After really looking and noticing the corner cutting.... We decided to get a GS.
Old 09-03-12, 04:18 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
These are the things my wife and I both dislike. We were set to get an ESh... After really looking and noticing the corner cutting.... We decided to get a GS.
I can give you about 15000 reasons why the GS is better appointed than the ES

Seriously, I'm sure Lexus decided to cut a few corners in order to keep the price competitive with other entry-level luxury cars, especially considering the value of the yen compared to the dollar. That's why I'm not surprised to hear Lexus is considering moving ES production to the United States. Acura and Infiniti are already making some vehicles here.

Enjoy your GS. If I could afford one, I'd be driving one too. But I'm still happy with my ES...

Quick Reply: New ES impression