ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 10:50 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats

Someone brought out an issue on another thread but I thought this might be serious enough to deserve its own thread. I seem to have the issue too - if in fact it is an issue or perhaps it's just the way the Lexus ES 300h seats are. Right below the headrest there are three panels for the seat back - the top two panels don't feel as tight as the bottom panel (the panel that meets the seat) - while I have the issue on both sides it seems more pronounced on the passenger side. Just to clarify further: if you rub your hand up and down on the three panels - the top two panels don't feel tight (like you can easily move the leather around because there is something missing behind the leather). As I said, maybe it is a problem and maybe it isn't - but I could use some opinions here based on your own cars.

Thanks
Old 11-09-12, 06:42 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Do I assume that I am the only one with this problem (or what I construe as a problem)>
Old 11-09-12, 07:29 PM
Gtgrad95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Do I assume that I am the only one with this problem (or what I construe as a problem)>
I know what you are referring to and I pointed this out to my wife as well. I think the reason is that the bottom panel has a flat metal part for the lumbar support that comes in and out. I believe that is why the bottom panel is 'tighter' than the top 2 panels.
Old 11-09-12, 07:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it because the passenger seat doesnt get lumbar adjustment while the driver's side does? If you adjust the lumbar so it is more pronounced out, will it make the leather tighter?
Old 11-09-12, 08:00 PM
Tedster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Someone brought out an issue on another thread but I thought this might be serious enough to deserve its own thread. I seem to have the issue too - if in fact it is an issue or perhaps it's just the way the Lexus ES 300h seats are. Right below the headrest there are three panels for the seat back - the top two panels don't feel as tight as the bottom panel (the panel that meets the seat) - while I have the issue on both sides it seems more pronounced on the passenger side. Just to clarify further: if you rub your hand up and down on the three panels - the top two panels don't feel tight (like you can easily move the leather around because there is something missing behind the leather). As I said, maybe it is a problem and maybe it isn't - but I could use some opinions here based on your own cars.

Thanks
Jerry,
I brought the topic up earlier. This is a quote from Lexus' marketing:

"The LS-ification of the ES manifests in richer interior materials like a contrasting stitching on the dash that is hand sewn by one of 12 Takumi masters who must pass a manual dexterity test by folding an origami cat with their non-dominant hand in 90 seconds (Japan truly is a different world)."

The top photo (from Lexus) I am posting shows how firm and taut the leather seating should be. But as you can see in the bottom three photos on my brand new ES 300h, lots of slack. Not the type of quality I expect from a vehicle made in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats-lexus-interior-lexus-page.jpg   Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats-lexus-back.jpg   Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats-lexus-side-right.jpg   Leather on Driver/Passenger Seats-lexus-side-left.jpg  
Old 11-10-12, 12:49 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Is it because the passenger seat doesnt get lumbar adjustment while the driver's side does? If you adjust the lumbar so it is more pronounced out, will it make the leather tighter?
Actually, the passenger seat does have a lumbar control; but I do believe that GTGrad95 is on to something: since both seats have lumbar controls it is possible that they had to leave slack in the top portion of the seat back in order to allow the lumbar mechanism to move tighter.
Old 11-10-12, 04:30 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tedster, do you have semi-aniline leather in your 300h? (the three pics you posted)
Old 11-10-12, 03:27 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed this too on the back seat passenger side. It's not as taught as the other side. At first I thought this could have cause by the child car seat I installed in the back.