ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

A technician's short review of the '13 es

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 02:16 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I was happy to see the following:

Elimination of the power steering reservoir (electric now)
Relocation of the coolant reservoir
Change of routing of the A/C hard line
Elimination of the engine bay covers

--all of these make the inevitable water pump replacement much easier

Oh yeah, and the redesign of the air filter box is welcome.
Old 08-12-12, 02:35 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage

i was fine with the water pump location when it paid 8.1 hours warranty!
Old 08-12-12, 05:12 PM
Road Rage
Driver

yep that 2.5 sucks big time.
Old 08-17-12, 04:23 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

wow. just bought an ES300h 3 days ago, and this technician has nicely summarized what i was feeling but couldn't really put into words.

if anyone has a doubt whether or not to buy this car, read this, and send it to friends or family who may be waffling about buying a '13 ESh. having owned a Prius, and an HS250h, this is by far the best, biggest, most luxurious, most beautiful, quietest, best handling, and most powerful hybrid i've ever driven -- using regular gas and achieving a true 40mpg/city if you drive with a light touch. and even if you don't worry about the ways to achieve that 40mpg, you can still get 34-35mpg and have fun stompin' on the gas at every green light. this baby will smoke the tires, and that alone is just too good to pass up.
Old 08-19-12, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
wow. just bought an ES300h 3 days ago, and this technician has nicely summarized what i was feeling but couldn't really put into words.

if anyone has a doubt whether or not to buy this car, read this, and send it to friends or family who may be waffling about buying a '13 ESh. having owned a Prius, and an HS250h, this is by far the best, biggest, most luxurious, most beautiful, quietest, best handling, and most powerful hybrid i've ever driven -- using regular gas and achieving a true 40mpg/city if you drive with a light touch. and even if you don't worry about the ways to achieve that 40mpg, you can still get 34-35mpg and have fun stompin' on the gas at every green light. this baby will smoke the tires, and that alone is just too good to pass up.
so I take you are achieving the 40/39 advertised mpg for the 300h?
Old 08-19-12, 08:57 AM
bjjones
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review! I do agree that the navigation/infotainment screen should have been the 12.3 inch version, or at least offered as an upgrade or extra option on either & or both the Luxury/Ultra Luxury Packages (maybe this will be possible in the future refresh). Also not a fan of how the screen appears within the upper dash area, IMO it looks somewhat unfinished (as if Lexus was going to put a larger screen in the ES and changed their minds at the last minute) and does not flow with the rest of the beautifully designed dashboard.

Last edited by bjjones; 08-19-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 03:24 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Road Rage

apparently, the elimination of the of the engine bay covers helps with aerodynamic drag. air that enters through radiator is supposed to meet less resistance on it's way out. sounds like BS to me since the hood is sealed.

I think they're just not spending money on a completely useless feature. No one really looks under the hood these days. And the few car guys that do, usually like to see the engine....not a bunch of plastic. I'm glad they're spending money on something other than useless engine bay plastic.
Old 08-20-12, 03:27 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bjjones
Excellent review! I do agree that the navigation/infotainment screen should have been the 12.3 inch version, or at least offered as an upgrade or extra option on either & or both the Luxury/Ultra Luxury Packages (maybe this will be possible in the future refresh). Also not a fan of how the screen appears within the upper dash area, IMO it looks somewhat unfinished (as if Lexus was going to put a larger screen in the ES and changed their minds at the last minute) and does not flow with the rest of the beautifully designed dashboard.
I agree with you. But they can't make the dash/screen/interior just as nice as the GS. you can tell the designers were told to use restraint on the ES. Overall though, it's a good design. The ES is already encroaching too much into the GS's territory.......
Old 08-20-12, 03:34 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME THIS CAR READS TEXT MESSAGES!!!!!!

so i'm sitting in the new ES ,.....listening to pandora.....when a message pops up that says i have a new text message. so i click "read"....and the damn car reads my text message out loud. pretty sure it's the same lady's voice as the nav system. Now that is a feature i would actually use!!

so how come Lexus has spent so much time talking about how I can make dinner reservations (on a program I've never heard of.....when it would be faster just to use my smartphone to do it anyways)....BUT NO ONE EVER MENTIONED THE CAR WILL READ TEXT MESSAGES.

Some of you may not care, but I know a lot of people will.

Dear Lexus,

When you put a good feature on a car, please tell us.

Sincerely,
Diagtime
Old 08-20-12, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Did you read the owners manual?
Old 08-20-12, 09:59 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diagtime
HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME THIS CAR READS TEXT MESSAGES!!!!!!

so i'm sitting in the new ES ,.....listening to pandora.....when a message pops up that says i have a new text message. so i click "read"....and the damn car reads my text message out loud. pretty sure it's the same lady's voice as the nav system. Now that is a feature i would actually use!!

so how come Lexus has spent so much time talking about how I can make dinner reservations (on a program I've never heard of.....when it would be faster just to use my smartphone to do it anyways)....BUT NO ONE EVER MENTIONED THE CAR WILL READ TEXT MESSAGES.

Some of you may not care, but I know a lot of people will.

Dear Lexus,

When you put a good feature on a car, please tell us.

Sincerely,
Diagtime
What type of phone where you using?
Old 08-21-12, 05:11 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Did you read the owners manual?
What's that? I seem to remember something about some "owner's manual," but ever since I have owned a Lexus.....I have lost all knowledge of this device.
Old 08-21-12, 05:17 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by longslim
What type of phone where you using?
I am using a Motorola Razr from verizon. And you bring up a good point that i realized after I wrote my overexcited post....

As of now there aren't many phones that have the text reading capability. I've tested all iphones through the 4s and have not gotten it to work. According to LEXUS's list, not many androids can do it either. Of course, that same list says my phone can't use Pandora.....but in reality it is fully functional with the Pandora app (not just BT audio)....just like the iphone.

The good news is the phones get updated and more importantly Enform gets updated in the car. We already have to update every car that comes off the truck. Enform is updated by the user's smartphone, so no hassle. Point is, I'm sure more phones will be compatible with the text message reading feature in the future.
Old 08-23-12, 05:51 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Always said the best safe deposit box is an owners manual since nobody ever opens them.
Old 08-27-12, 01:50 PM
Slogan2012
Driver School Candidate

@ diagtime

Hi there can you please tell me if the new 2013 ES 350 has a timing belt or timing chain?

Also do you happen to know if the 2005-2006 ES 330 has a timing belt or timing chain?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: A technician's short review of the '13 es