ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Will Dealers Charge Premium Prices for First 2013 ES's?

Old 07-02-12, 06:42 PM
bikerneil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Dealers Charge Premium Prices for First 2013 ES's?

I have been waiting for months for the new ES350's and it sounds like the first ones will be at dealerships in August.

Does anyone know if Lexus will be adding ADP (that stands for Additional Dealer Profit) to the first batches of cars that are sold? I am in the process of selling my car right now and if it sells I will be looking to buy one of the first ones.

By the way, I sold my LS460 one year ago, when I had this crazy idea to buy a Mercedes. I bought a CLS63 AMG and have regretted it since about one week after taking possession of the Mercedes. I can't wait to return to Lexus. I am looking to buy the Hybrid version.
Old 07-02-12, 07:00 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't know about marking the new ES up above MSRP but I wouldn't expect great deals for a while which is a problem for me because my current lease runs out on Nov. 27th. I may see if I can extend it for a few months both for a better deal and maybe a couple of initial problems worked out altlhough both might take more than just a f ew months.

Dave Mac
Old 07-02-12, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I would highly doubt it. The ES isn't an enthusiast purchase, which is generally where you see ADP.

With you leasing Dave, if the GS Is any indication the ES will have great residuals at first, which means you can pay sticker and still get a great lease. The GS still has 65% residuals,nthey were like 68% at first.
Old 07-03-12, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't think there will be much in the way of ADP on the 2013. Initially most dealers will try to get as close to sticker as possible if the car takes off like it might. If you wait wait a while, that will come down after the initial buzz wears off.

The one area where you might see some ADP will be in the form of dealer add ons like paint and interior protection packages, various appearance packages etc.
Old 07-03-12, 12:28 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point LexBob, that's probably where most of the ADP will come from. The 2013 ES configuration build is now available from Lexus' offical website (see link below). There are 3 packages, each with nested options and accessories, of course no prices are listed at this time.

Link is here: http://www.lexus.com/BuildYourES/
Old 07-03-12, 12:40 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bikerneil
I have been waiting for months for the new ES350's and it sounds like the first ones will be at dealerships in August.

Does anyone know if Lexus will be adding ADP (that stands for Additional Dealer Profit) to the first batches of cars that are sold? I am in the process of selling my car right now and if it sells I will be looking to buy one of the first ones.

By the way, I sold my LS460 one year ago, when I had this crazy idea to buy a Mercedes. I bought a CLS63 AMG and have regretted it since about one week after taking possession of the Mercedes. I can't wait to return to Lexus. I am looking to buy the Hybrid version.
Just curious, the CLS63 AMG is a really nice car and expensive, but I have heard that the reliability is poor, what was your experience, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Old 07-03-12, 08:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

If money is a concern to you, buying a new ES when it first comes out is a poor decision. If you want to be the first, you are going to have to pay for it. This has nothing to do with enthusiasts, but more about supply and demand. With the current ES still selling strong, the core Lexus customer will be all over this thing when it goes on sale. Wait until the Winter and you'll be in a better position.
Old 07-04-12, 05:24 AM
bikerneil
Driver School Candidate

LexPaul - my experience with the AMG: I bought a used 2007 with very low miles. It has huge horsepower with tons of speed and good handling. However, I am very disappointed with things like: I have had it almost a year and I still cannot figure out how to do something as simple as change a radio station, the Nav is totally unusable, there are also lots of little annoyances like the wind whistles in a tiny area of one of the windows, the drivers door makes a noise when driving over rough roads, the air conditioner vents wont adjust properly, the electronics and stereo controls are horrible, the doors are too heavy and must be man-handled to close, this is not to mention I'm scared to death that I will need a brake job before unloading this beast (brakes cost $2500). I can't wait to get back to Lexus..............

My 2007 FJ Cruser with 106K miles has none of the problems listed above.

All you get with a Mercedes is an emblem on the front of the car that says you have $$$ (IMO). I personally don't need the emblem to feel fulfilled.
Old 07-04-12, 05:51 AM
ranman1
Driver School Candidate

I'm in a similar situation and would like to buy October to November. If I don't plan to finance the vehicle, is there anything special about waiting for the "December to remember" sale?

This will be my first Lexus and first time buying in a new model year. If I wait a few months after release, I'm expecting to be in the range of $1k-$2k under MSRP for the luxury package. Does that seem on the mark?
Old 07-05-12, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If money is a concern to you, buying a new ES when it first comes out is a poor decision. If you want to be the first, you are going to have to pay for it. This has nothing to do with enthusiasts, but more about supply and demand.
Sure, but you won't see dealers demanding $5k over MSRP for these cars, because they aren't "I gotta have it" type cars.

Originally Posted by ranman1
If I wait a few months after release, I'm expecting to be in the range of $1k-$2k under MSRP for the luxury package. Does that seem on the mark?
I fully expect it to be better than that a few months after release. People are buying 2013 GS's now for invoice...
Old 07-05-12, 02:35 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The "December to Remember" sale usually only applies to lease interest rates. The dealer still sets the price and will have to compete for the sale.

Dave Mac
Old 07-05-12, 02:46 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Es350

My dealer states it will be like the 2013GS. No additional dealer markup on MSRP. Just will not haggle much on the price and a lot will have upgraded tire and wheel packages put on by the dealer to increase their profit margin.
Old 07-05-12, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
The "December to Remember" sale usually only applies to lease interest rates. The dealer still sets the price and will have to compete for the sale.
Isn't there a 0.9% financing deal thats a part of the December to Remember as well? I can't remember...

I would imagine you'll see 0.9% financing pretty quick on the 2013 because of it being a volume and conquest model...
Old 07-05-12, 03:08 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
My dealer states it will be like the 2013GS. No additional dealer markup on MSRP. Just will not haggle much on the price and a lot will have upgraded tire and wheel packages put on by the dealer to increase their profit margin.
If you have a good trade-in you might be able to use it as a bargaining chip and get more for it than their initial offer.

As you mentioned, when I bought my in demand '07 ES they weren't negotiating much at all, but I was able to get them to increase the amount for my trade-in, a very clean low mileage Avalon XLS.

Last edited by LexBob2; 07-05-12 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 07:43 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bikerneil
LexPaul - my experience with the AMG: I bought a used 2007 with very low miles. It has huge horsepower with tons of speed and good handling. However, I am very disappointed with things like: I have had it almost a year and I still cannot figure out how to do something as simple as change a radio station, the Nav is totally unusable, there are also lots of little annoyances like the wind whistles in a tiny area of one of the windows, the drivers door makes a noise when driving over rough roads, the air conditioner vents wont adjust properly, the electronics and stereo controls are horrible, the doors are too heavy and must be man-handled to close, this is not to mention I'm scared to death that I will need a brake job before unloading this beast (brakes cost $2500). I can't wait to get back to Lexus..............

My 2007 FJ Cruser with 106K miles has none of the problems listed above.

All you get with a Mercedes is an emblem on the front of the car that says you have $$$ (IMO). I personally don't need the emblem to feel fulfilled.

LOL, thanks !!...hope you can unload it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Dealers Charge Premium Prices for First 2013 ES's?