ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

what kind of oil in 2013 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 06:57 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You can go 10k miles, but they're never going to revise the intervals. I personally would still change the oil at 5k intervals on your 2012 even with synthetic just to be sure the warranty stays intact.
I'd suggest going with 5k intervals.

a German forum I'm on opened up a BMW w/ the 10k intervals at 75,000 and it was very very gunked up. like grease. Baaaad!

but it depends on how long you keep your cars. if you lease, not your problem at 100k.
Old 12-26-12, 08:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Did they use synthetic oil on that BMW? Lexus wouldn't have increased the intervals if they were worried about sludge...
Old 12-26-12, 10:19 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

All you have to do is google "Camry oil consumption" "Corolla oil consumption" "Lexus oil consumption" to read stories about consumption problems on the 2003-2009 models caused by clogged oil passages in the engines. The affected owners - which included some that used semi-synthetic oil - typically stretched oil change intervals beyond 5,000 miles.

The 1997-2002 V6's also had an oil gelling problem when owners stretched intervals beyond 5,000.

The 1990-1994 Lexus V8 had sludge buildup problems on some drivers side exhaust valve lifter buckets when the owners stretched intervals causing wear that ended up causing tapping noises.

Bottom line is that historically stretching change intervals to the maximum Toyota suggests (currently 10,000 miles) is risky (except for owners who are leasing or those who plan to sell/trade at the end of the powertrain warranty period.
Old 12-27-12, 03:51 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Did they use synthetic oil on that BMW? Lexus wouldn't have increased the intervals if they were worried about sludge...
BMW use's synthetic oil. They began using extended oil changes cause BMW began paying for oil changes. The motors where super gunked up. Pretty bad. My E39 was not too bad when I changed the Vanos Seals in the motor but it still took me an afternoon cleaning the VC and top of head.
Old 12-27-12, 06:00 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Keep in mind the viscosity of the oil and a hybrid's engine usually runs less per mile than a gasoline only car. These factors may have something to do with the interval recommendation at least for hybrids. The owners manual does say change it more often for severe operating conditions.
Old 12-27-12, 06:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I'd suggest going with 5k intervals.

a German forum I'm on opened up a BMW w/ the 10k intervals at 75,000 and it was very very gunked up. like grease. Baaaad!

but it depends on how long you keep your cars. if you lease, not your problem at 100k.
BMW has 15K mile changes.
No way I'd go that long unless it was a lease.
Old 12-27-12, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Those are all different engines though and Toyota learned from those experiences. You think they want a repeat of the 97-02 ES oil sludge problem?

Those owners were ignoring Lexus' statement that oil change intervals should not be extended even when using synthetic oil. We're not talking about extending oil change intervals, we're talking about following the recommended oil change interval. There's no evidence that following Lexus oil change intervals has led to sludge historically.

Based on my experience with how conservative this brand is about things like that, I will be confident changing the oil in my GS every 10k miles, and would be even if it weren't a lease.

However, oil changes are pretty cheap, even with synthetic oil really. If it worries you, an extra $100 every 5k miles isn't a big deal.
Old 12-28-12, 09:35 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

ahem,

Toyota and Lexus make money from selling cars. Owners love less costs of maintenance... and I've had friends compare maintenance costs when buying.

15k with full synthetic, yeah its going to get gunked up.... will it cause a bearing to fail, under 70k miles, probably not. if you lease, do you care? no. (BMW includes oil changes in sale - free to owner/ leasor .).

* and I stand corrected. BMW is 15k intervals not 10k.

if you own the car and keep if over 100k, I'd suggest changing more frequently. 10k? mby, 5k you know your good. personally I think its cheap insurance.

I'll probably have the dealer do the 1st service, then do oil changes at 5k. -haven't read entire book yet, but I can change oil and air filters....

-Does anyone know what brand of Oil Lexus/Toyota uses ? Mobil 1, amsoil, or?

also wonder if anyone uses a K&N air filter? and if that will be a warranty problem.

SW10ES makes a valid point. BMW engines are run hard, and hot. that makes a difference. heat is the problem. I don't have a oil temp, but doubt my hybrid will get hot.

also note: Frequent short trips where oil does not get hot enough to burn off the impurities is actually worse.

-IMHO....

Last edited by mrBillFL; 12-28-12 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-28-12, 09:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
ahem,

Toyota and Lexus make money from selling cars. Owners love less costs of maintenance... and I've had friends compare maintenance costs when buying.

15k with full synthetic, yeah its going to get gunked up.... will it cause a bearing to fail, under 70k miles, probably not. if you lease, do you care? no. (BMW includes oil changes in sale - free to owner/ leasor .).

if you own the car and keep if over 100k, I'd suggest changing more frequently. 10k? mby, 5k you know your good. personally I think its cheap insurance.

I'll probably have the dealer do the 1st service, then do oil changes at 5k. -haven't read entire book yet, but I can change oil and air filters....

-Does anyone know what brand of Oil Lexus/Toyota uses ? Mobil 1, amsoil, or?

also wonder if anyone uses a K&N air filter? and if that will be a warranty problem.

Lexus/Toyota synthetic is made by Exxon/Mobil to Toyota specs and the 0w20 isn't the same formula as the Mobil 1 0w20.
A K&N drop in is a waste of money.No performance gains under 5K RPM.Just more engine noise.
Some say put the K&N sticker on the inner hood and you'll gain 5HP.
Old 12-28-12, 10:10 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Does anyone Know a source for the 'approved' oil? (cheap-er than the local dealer ?)

I know some engines are very picky on what works.... big problems for wrong oil. (and ATF).

*I normally drop the oil / filters at 1k-2k just to get any metal out from break in...

and what about the filters? anything special here?

assume a toyota hybrid (2.5ltr ) would fit?

thanks for bearing with the new guy!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Some say put the K&N sticker on the inner hood and you'll gain 5HP.
-my old engine builder said his 'SAS Racing' stickers were worth 10hp! LOL -skipping the KN...

Last edited by mrBillFL; 12-28-12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-31-12, 07:10 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

People who claim that 10K oil change interval on fully synthetic oil is too long, obviously do not know much about synthetic oils and modern engines. Older Lexus/Toyota models had a design flaw in the engines, hence they were developing sludge, hence synthetic oil was providing a better remedy against the design flaw. Now that design problems are fixed (or so they claim), its a poor reason to say that 10K on synthetic oil is too long.
Modern engines are perfectly capable of going 10K miles on synthetic oil (normal driving -- exclude severe driving in the city) within 1 year. Its important to use high quality oil filter designed for extended drain intervals such as Mobil1 or K&N. If you want extra piece of mind, then buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance (little more expensive than Mobil1).

And if you are really paranoid, spend 20$ with blackstone labs and send them your oil sample, they will do chemical analysis and tell you if this oil is still good or should be changed.
Old 12-31-12, 07:16 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
BMW has 15K mile changes.
No way I'd go that long unless it was a lease.

Most BMW owners change it at 10k. Also keep in mind that its 15K or 1 year, whatever comes first.
It also assumes normal driving, obviously if you step on it (and with 335i I would definitely step on it, otherwise whats the point of buying one ) then you need to change it more offten.
Here is the guy with 335i who had his oil analyzed at 8K miles, it looked fine and lab recommended changing it next time at 10K mark.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652395

Bottom line, spend $20 to test your oil, this will end any confusions, each person drives in different conditions.
Old 12-31-12, 07:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I just follow the manufacturer's recomendation, whatever it might be. They designed, built and warrantee the engine and I've never had an oil related problem with a car.

The non-direct injected 3.5 V6 is a workhorse used in something like 8 Toyota and Lexus models so there is good history on how it holds up.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (06-05-17)
Old 12-31-12, 09:28 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

fyi, search the TCH forums. still no source for toyota 0w20.,.. but very informative thread...

fyi

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/31...oil-use-3.html
Old 12-31-12, 09:33 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

also in that thread talks about oil filters, and a special wrench needed.... anyone have a source for the toyota filter?

-looks like its worth getting the factory filter and oil...

Quick Reply: what kind of oil in 2013 ES?