Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h Signals Shift in Lexus Hybrid Philosophy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 01:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
E Plus, once the battery drains, the car is just draggin around a really heavy anchor until they recharge.
batteries dont ever go down really, it isnt an EV or Plugin-Hybrid... they have limited capacity and they are also recharged by engine if need be.

Not sure how GS450h is any less performance hybrid than before, it has same specs, just 30% better mpg.
Old 05-19-12, 02:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
Ignorant writer, he forgot the HS and CT that came out before the ESh
This

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's also 438 total system horsepower not 428
Yup

The writer is another clueless dumbass talking out his rear. The ****ing GS 450h just debuted with 2less hp (so basically the same power) and a 30% increase in economy. As spwolf stated performance is similar but MPG has gotten better b/c of technology. This is a model only 3-4 months newer than the ESh. If I shared more of what I learned what Lexus will offer with the LF-LC the writer would be shipped to Antarctica. Lexus will continue to offer both high performance and MPG based hybrids. As BR stated the CT and HS are MPG focused.

You know after 6-7 years I fail to understand how peoplet just read sales without understanding goals or target levels. The GSh and LSh are not and will never be volume cars. Lexus said the LSh would be 5% of sales and special order pretty much. Even the new GSh will only be 10% of sales. So people need to understand expensive hybrids are not sellers they are techno halos. BMW canned the Active 6 series recently fyi.

The bunching all hybrids together is just ridiculous. Should we bundle all 6 cylinders together. Yeah that Camry V-6 and Porsche Flat 6 are the same. Its like the dumbasss who bunch the FRS and Mustang together. Just b/c they both are sports cars doesn't and priced the same doesn't make them the same. The cars goals are entirely different from sales to performance.

People see the ****ing word "hybrid" and their brains go in overdrve to hate on them, bunch them all together and try to stick them in the same corner. I have no idea why this only happens to hybrids.

Biased hybrid and happy owner here
Old 05-19-12, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
People see the ****ing word "hybrid" and their brains go in overdrve to hate on them, bunch them all together and try to stick them in the same corner. I have no idea why this only happens to hybrids.
It doesn't just happen with hybrids...as you yourself note below:

Its like the dumbasss who bunch the FRS and Mustang together. Just b/c they both are sports cars doesn't and priced the same doesn't make them the same. The cars goals are entirely different from sales to performance.
Agreed....but they aren't both in the same class. The Mustang is a big-engined pony car. The FRS/BRZ, as I see it, is on the borderline between a small classic sports-car and a sport-coupe. In a number of ways, it is the first real incarnation, after some 40 years, of the 2+2 versions of the famous Nissan Z-cars of the 1970s....more so than the more-expensive Nissan 350/370Z itself, which, of course, is a two-seater.

Biased hybrid and happy owner here
Agreed. I would hope that people who shell out the kind of money that a GS Hybrid costs would be satisfied with their purchase (or lease).

I remember, a few years ago, one CL member here (forgot his name) who just spent some 50K (maybe more?) for a brand-new Audi S5, then shortly afterwards started complaining that "it wasn't fast enough" (give me a break), and set his sights on an even more expensive Mercedes AMG or Cadillac CTS-V. Didn't seem to care at all that, with the big first-year depreciation combined with moving to a much more expensive car, he'd be taking a real bath.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-12 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
in reality, only old GS450h and LS600h sale's sucked... RX400h/450h did well since it always mixed good performance with good mpg.

New GS450h does that and ES300h does that too... it should do 0-60 in mid 7's, which is plenty fine for most people and get 40mpg.

In the end, a lot like diesel in Europe - you buy diesel not only because it gets good mpg, but also because it is higher performance version (for normal cars).
rx400h/450 did well with good mix? like how? their gas mileage is pretty much the same as the 350. (but i am not saying they don't sell well, they do).

the new gs450h, i don't know what you mean "does that", that = ? i don't see how it's focusing on gas mileage, if so it would be gs300h. gs450h is again getting somewhat v8 power
Old 05-20-12, 06:50 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My RX 450h gets 7.2 L/100 km in the city, the RX 350 gets no where near that fuel efficiency.
Old 05-20-12, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
rx400h/450 did well with good mix? like how? their gas mileage is pretty much the same as the 350. (but i am not saying they don't sell well, they do).

the new gs450h, i don't know what you mean "does that", that = ? i don't see how it's focusing on gas mileage, if so it would be gs300h. gs450h is again getting somewhat v8 power
What are you talking about? RX350 gets 21 MPG, RX450h gets 30mpg. Thats 50% improvement.
GS350 gets 23 MPG, GS450h gets 32MPG... 40% improvement.

Hows that "pretty much the same"?

And both are pretty fast too.
Old 05-20-12, 02:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

GS450h offers V8 feel because there is a lot more low end torque. The Germans (specifically Audi) try to do this with forced induction. Hybrids are Lexus' alternative to forced induction engines. They're more expensive, but get better fuel economy. They offer similar simulation of a V8.

FWIW I'd love an IS300h and the CT200h has caught my interest. But I want better fuel economy in a hybrid, not performance. I don't give a rats *** how quick my car will get to 60 since generally it's impractical. It's great for internet fanboy wars though.
Old 05-21-12, 05:19 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For daily driving, I've found that the RX450h and GS450h are almost perfect. I have plenty of reserved power for merging and passing situations, and can glide on electric only when traffic allowed. I'm getting 8.5 L/100KM in the RX compared to 13 L/100KM in the IS 350. On a full tank of gas, the computer showed 650KM range. When I test drove the 13 GSh, the computer showed 980 KM range , on a much quicker vehicle.
I test drove the CT and HS a while back and did not like the feel of the 4 bangers in a luxury context. I think I'd feel the same way in the ESh unless they managed to improve it a lot.
My only wish for improvement in these vehicles is to better the electric only mode from a complete stop without worsening MPG.
Old 10-17-12, 05:34 AM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post