ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 09:12 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
this is some exciting news, seems like lexus is ready to do some killing with their new cars.

so the es will be quite a bit bigger / longer than the current one then? that's interesting (wonder what some would feel ), i welcome that change actually. the gs is already staying at the current size, which is almost 9-10 inches shorter than the LS. current ES is 191 inches, so a few more inches and that will be a great gap in between the two cars for those who doesn't need "sport" but the "space" while keeping a budget.

the quietest lexus ever, fantastic!!!!!!! so that means even quieter than the ls600hl? now that's not something easy to do and i think that would be the key for es success. that also pave the road for the next generation ls, which will have to be quieter than the es. if this goes on lexus cars will be quieter than phantom soon

and i love the fact that lexus is putting hybrid in the es (finally!) giving it the extra boost on gas mileage. screw hs, esh should have been the answer since day 1
I don't by any of that for a second. The next ES will be a great car by all indications but claiming it will be quieter than a 600hL and obtain mileage figures in the high 40s is just not going to happen. It may grow longer and wider, but I have my doubts about that too.
Old 01-05-12, 09:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I don't by any of that for a second. The next ES will be a great car by all indications but claiming it will be quieter than a 600hL and obtain mileage figures in the high 40s is just not going to happen. It may grow longer and wider, but I have my doubts about that too.
I can see it happening. The ES is the bread and butter sedan of Lexus. The next gen has to be perfect.

Marry the 3.5 with an 8 speed and 40mpg hwy is possible.
Old 01-05-12, 09:33 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can see it happening. The ES is the bread and butter sedan of Lexus. The next gen has to be perfect.

Marry the 3.5 with an 8 speed and 40mpg hwy is possible.
No way the 3.5 can achieve 40mpg highway with just a better transmission. The quoted "high 40s" is regarding the ES hybrid and has nothing to do with the regular ES.

I can see the ES hybrid being quieter than the current LS hybrid and the regular ES being quieter than the current LS if they really do the sound insulation right. But as for the "high 40s" mileage, it's highly unlikely to happen.
Old 01-05-12, 10:27 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I just don't see the ES having anything but the 2GR-FE V6 paired with the 6AT...identical setup as in the Camry and identical to the previous gen. Anything deviating from Camry mechanicals will increase cost, since the Camry forms the basic structure of the car. In any case, that is just my guess and I'm all for cool surprises.

I am, however, looking forward to the updated interior. If the Camry can make such a big jump in interior quality, the ES should really be worth looking at.
Old 01-05-12, 10:46 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

With the giant improvement the GS had with its interior, I can only hope for good things to come to the ES. The center dash is just nasty looking; can't wait to see what Lexus has up its sleeves.
Old 01-05-12, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
i believe when the current es350 it's quieter than the ls400/430 (forgot).

and if they put in a v4 pairing with a hybrid, i think 40mpg is doable. if it's just mid 30s then it won't separate itself enough from the gsh which is getting 31mpg
Old 01-07-12, 07:09 PM
LexFather

Its not just with the interior, etc. The car will have the tech of the new GS. The hybrid powertrain should be the new Camry hybrid powertrain which gets 43 MPG overall which I ASSUME the CT/HS will get with a MMC. I keep hearing how good looking this car is and dealers love it (and with good reason as stated, it is the volume selling sedan). Going back to the tech, Lexus is really going to push to the front of the field with technology and features, options.

With this ES you have to be a complete buffoon to throw the word "Camry" out there.
Old 01-07-12, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by superchan7
I just don't see the ES having anything but the 2GR-FE V6 paired with the 6AT...identical setup as in the Camry and identical to the previous gen. Anything deviating from Camry mechanicals will increase cost, since the Camry forms the basic structure of the car. In any case, that is just my guess and I'm all for cool surprises.

I am, however, looking forward to the updated interior. If the Camry can make such a big jump in interior quality, the ES should really be worth looking at.
I think the ES will move to Avalon size, maybe they will even build it in Kentucky.
Old 01-07-12, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Imaybe they will even build it in Kentucky.
Yup just like how you said the CT is a rebadged Prius and the Lexus LF LC is based on the Toyota FRS.
Old 01-07-12, 10:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the ES will move to Avalon size, maybe they will even build it in Kentucky.
That aint happening ....

And in the remote possibility they even decide to move ES production out of Japan - they already have a Lexus plant in NA where they build the RX (Canada).
Old 01-07-12, 11:53 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Not likely...The ES will still be FWD Camry based and will still be built in good'ole Japan...
Old 01-08-12, 12:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not just with the interior, etc. The car will have the tech of the new GS. The hybrid powertrain should be the new Camry hybrid powertrain which gets 43 MPG overall which I ASSUME the CT/HS will get with a MMC. I keep hearing how good looking this car is and dealers love it (and with good reason as stated, it is the volume selling sedan). Going back to the tech, Lexus is really going to push to the front of the field with technology and features, options.

With this ES you have to be a complete buffoon to throw the word "Camry" out there.
camry hybrid follows tech introduced in 3rd prius, like cth.... you wont get improvements from cth, but they might add it as higher powered option, who knows.... camry gets 41 combined, cth would get probably 38 due to worse aero of hatchback.

further improvements are possible if they add small turbo engine ad direct injection, valvematic, lithium ion batteries but then the cost baloons as well as complexity so i doubt we will see that in camry or prius. and improvements wont be huge in real life with all of that combined maybe 10-15%.

q5 with 8 speed at and lion and 4cly turbo has been tested in germany against bigger, heavier, more powerful ad 2009 tech rx450h awd and got beaten badly, 25% worse real life mileage.
Old 01-08-12, 12:27 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

q5 with 8 speed at and lion and 4cly turbo has been tested in germany against bigger, heavier, more powerful ad 2009 tech rx450h awd and got beaten badly, 25% worse real life mileage.
Good god, a turbo Audi with lion hybrid system, what could possibly go wrong.
Old 01-08-12, 12:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

i bet v6 will carry over, with slight changes, and hybrid will use same engine to camry hybrid just with different electronics, wth different modes like in cth and gsh... with lighter car than before, and more aluminium than camry, it will be good.

toyota uses big production numbers to bring costs of hybrid engines down... they will produce 1,000,000 in 2012, with next competitor doing less than 70k honda, and ford doing paltry 30k, at least in 2011... thats why toyota can price them well, everyone else loses money on them as they dont have the production numbers. hybrid costs are considerably more than non hybrid engines, so i dont think that ayone but toyota makes any money on them.
Old 01-08-12, 05:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Not likely...The ES will still be FWD Camry based and will still be built in good'ole Japan...
I'd agree with this speculation. Nothing radical on where it's made and what it's based on. IMO, no need for it. I'm anxious to see the final product.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)