ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cell Phone Holder / Mount Suggestions (MERGED MASTER FAQ THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 05:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I just don't understand the phone mount issues. I do not like that there really isn't a good place for a phone mount... The one I've seen that I like the best is one of those weather tech cup holder mounts.. but to use it you have to give up one of your cup holders, and there's only 2 in the front seat to start with. I just synced my phone up with blue tooth and stick the phone in the center console or in one of the cup holders... As you know you can take and make calls just using the hands free system on the steering wheel..
I suspect that most of the people who are looking for a way to mount their phones on the car's dash are people who have an ES without the navigation system and who are looking for a way to place their phones in a spot where they can view maps on their phones.

To me, there is no such solution that doesn't come across as looking tacky, and, regardless of where the phone is mounted, I consider using the phone to view maps to be less than satisfactory and something that compromises safety.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
bc6152 (07-19-19), Poppa (07-23-19)
Old 07-19-19, 03:38 PM
Dave032
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Measurements

zes,
here are the measurements.
I used a 3/8" wide, and a 1/4" wide pliers to get the square bends at the front.

Old 07-19-19, 06:01 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you. I am going to try giving this a shot this weekend!
Old 07-20-19, 03:34 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like you should have gone to school for Orthodontics
The following users liked this post:
Albo (07-20-19)
Old 07-23-19, 01:10 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I suspect that most of the people who are looking for a way to mount their phones on the car's dash are people who have an ES without the navigation system and who are looking for a way to place their phones in a spot where they can view maps on their phones.

To me, there is no such solution that doesn't come across as looking tacky, and, regardless of where the phone is mounted, I consider using the phone to view maps to be less than satisfactory and something that compromises safety.

Good point Lesz.... don't know why, but it never dawned on me that some may not have nav. and I agree, I'm not a fan of using my phone to navigate, especially in strange towns.. my ever ageing eye's need larger screens than the phone provides.. My ES obviously has Nav, but my 4 Runner does not. I run a Garmin Nuvi gps in that vehicle. Lifetime maps and gets me there and back without any trouble.
Old 12-16-19, 11:50 AM
mar1lyn27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended phone mount for 2016 ES350?

I would love recommendations for a phone mount for my iPhone 8+ (big phone).

I'm not crazy about the ones that attach to the front vents because the phone is heavier than most, especially with the case.

What do you all use?

Thanks
Old 12-16-19, 12:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

If you do a search you'll find numerous posts regarding phone mounts for Iphones as well as Android...
Old 12-16-19, 06:15 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

I don’t have one of these, but I’m thinking about getting one!

https://www.weathertech.ca/en/produc...rtech-cupfone/
Old 12-16-19, 11:53 PM
august49
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weather tech phone holder

Bought the weather tech phone holder for my ES and wife’s RX. Great device and adaptable to any size cup holder. Does everything just like the commercial says. Highly recommend.
Old 12-17-19, 01:40 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mar1lyn27

I'm not crazy about the ones that attach to the front vents because the phone is heavier than most, especially with the case.

What do you all use?

Thanks
I'm right there with you... but after quite a bit of searching, I decided on the weather tech phone holder... around 40 bucks or so for the base model... you can get it with an extension and a few other things for a few more dollars, but I'm going to try just the base... I went with this because my grand kids wanted to know what to get me for Christmas so I suggested this... ha, grand kids are great, we were at their house last weekend and my 6 year old grand son took a present from under the tree and said Poppa, this is my present to you.. can't tell you what it is but it's for your phone in your car... haha... guess they listened to me after all.
Old 12-20-19, 04:03 PM
claypool0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mar1lyn27

What do you all use?

Thanks
I'd recommend getting a CD slot mount. It puts the phone in a great spot. It does block the center climate controls a little but I don't use those that often.
Old 01-19-20, 12:34 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Default phone holder

Hello Gents... I didn't mean to open a new thread on this subject because I know it was discussed in the past.. but for some reason I couldn't find that thread. Anyway as much as I love my 2013 ES, the one thing I have always disliked about it was the lack of room to put anything, like keys, sunglasses or my phone.... My grand kids asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told them I would like to try the new weather tech phone cup. Boys ( and girls ) I have to tell you that "so far", this has been the best option that I've tried. It fits nice and snug, no wobbles or rattles and the phone is very secure... Yes it does take up one of the 2 cup holders but normally it's just me in this car... and even when my wife's with me, she doesn't usually carry a bottle of water or anything with her, so again no problem... I know there will be a time or two where we'll need both cup holders and on those occasions I'll just slide the phone holder out.. Just in case anyone was thinking about one, I personally have found this to be the best thing I've tried so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by Poppa:
jollick (01-19-20), zes (01-19-20)
Old 01-19-20, 03:55 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a very similar mount. Completely agree with Poppa. This mount is great.

yup,
Poppa (01-20-20)
Old 07-31-21, 09:40 AM
Dennis2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Default phone holder

I have a 2015 ES, just wondering if someone on here has found the perfect holder for their phone and has a recommendation.
Thank you-
Old 08-01-21, 02:03 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis2020
I have a 2015 ES, just wondering if someone on here has found the perfect holder for their phone and has a recommendation.
Thank you-
Weather Tech phone holder, fits in a cup holder and the phone holder's base can be adjusted to fit just about any size cup holder, and the part that holds the phone can be adjusted to accommodate just about any phone. Of course the only downfall to this is you have to give up one of your cup holders. Scroll up a couple of posts and you'll see 2 pics I previously posted showing the weather tech phone holder in my car. If you don't want to use a cup holder you can also run your phone thru blue tooth and just stick you phone in the center console or glove box. You and take and place calls that way just by pressing the call switch on your steering wheel.
Dennis2020 (08-01-21)

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Holder / Mount Suggestions (MERGED MASTER FAQ THREAD)