ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How much $$ is my Stupid mistake going to cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 06:26 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much $$ is my Stupid mistake going to cost?

I'm a Bonehead!
I was in a hurry to make it to my girlfriend's, daughter's wedding and in the process of taking my suit jacket off and hanging it on the rear hand hold, I put my key fob on the top of the roof. Something I NEVER do. In my rush.......I drove off with the fob, house key and PO Box key on the roof. I heard a strange noise about an 1/8 mile from my driveway but thought is was my suit jacket moving on the hanger in the back seat.
When I arrived at the venue, about 50 miles away, and tried to lock the door with a touch.....no beep! Checked my pockets and no fob. Tried to start it..."no key detected".
Got that dreaded feeling in the pit of my gut telling me "YOU MORON".....YOU LEFT THE FOB ON THE ROOF..."

Put on a smiley face during the wedding and had to have AAA flatbed me home 2 hours after the place was deserted @ 1am. I walked the road and no fob/keys.

Can someone tell me my options of reprogramming/purchasing a new fob and is it a Dealer Only option? And....gulp.....how much my boneheaded mistake is going to cost me?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-17-19, 06:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Did you not get the message that the key was out of range the whole drive there?

You can search around on the subject. Some have had luck buying off of eBay. Much cheaper than the dealer, if you get lucky.
Old 06-17-19, 06:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Someone will chime in with a private channel but a Lexus dealer will want $250 for the fob and mechanical key
plus 0.7 hours, $120 to program the fob and cut the key. $370 all in. Many Maintenance Plans purchased with
the new car that prepay for the scheduled services include Key Fob reimbursement, up to one (1) per year!
Old 06-17-19, 06:44 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the very same year and model and it came with two key fobs. Use your other key fob.
Old 06-17-19, 06:49 AM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that once and luckily found my keys in the well where the windshield wipers live.
Old 06-17-19, 07:56 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Did you not get the message that the key was out of range the whole drive there?

You can search around on the subject. Some have had luck buying off of eBay. Much cheaper than the dealer, if you get lucky.
Hi Mike.

I may have but was running late and I really don't remember. Although I bought the car in January of this year, I rarely drive it besides going out with my gf or post office/groceries so, a lot of the bell's/beeps are still new to me.
I have a beater that I throw my dog in and that's the car I primarily drive. I usually take my dog with me everywhere I go so I mostly drive the Milan..my dog sheds way too much to put him in the Lexus.
Old 06-17-19, 07:59 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Someone will chime in with a private channel but a Lexus dealer will want $250 for the fob and mechanical key
plus 0.7 hours, $120 to program the fob and cut the key. $370 all in. Many Maintenance Plans purchased with
the new car that prepay for the scheduled services include Key Fob reimbursement, up to one (1) per year!
Thanks for the information. When I mentioned my stupidity at the wedding...and rightfully got my ***** busted, I was told that BMW charges @ $500.00! So, even at $370., I can live with that. Of course, I would love to save some $$ if I could.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-17-19, 08:02 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
I have the very same year and model and it came with two key fobs. Use your other key fob.
Thats what I'll do for now but, I always like to have a spare... I'm thinking $370.00 now will save me a bunch if I were to lose the spare and have no key at all. The Dealership would Love that!
Old 06-17-19, 08:07 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larrytstar
I did that once and luckily found my keys in the well where the windshield wipers live.
I wish I were that lucky! Still feel like a dumbass!

I did take another walk down the road (with my glasses this time) and found the destroyed key fob scattered across both sides. At least I know there is no one with a working fob who could just walk up to my car and silently drive off in the middle of the night. So, that's a bit of a relief.. No sign of my house or PO Box key which would be attached to the mechanical Lexus key. I may give it one more try when the rain passes.
Old 06-17-19, 09:52 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...e-success.html
The following users liked this post:
Rafadog (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 10:44 AM
Rafadog
Driver School Candidate

A BIG Thank You!! from Connecticut, USA, St1800
Old 06-17-19, 10:47 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Can be all done for under $100 if you have good computer skills and still have at least one working key. Check that thread in the above post for details.
Old 06-17-19, 04:34 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I always wondered what happens if someone drives one of these cars without the fob in it.

Like if someone stole mine when I ran into pick up my dry-cleaning, and left it running.

I was hoping there was a shutoff feature but it doesn’t look like there is!
Old 06-17-19, 05:07 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
I always wondered what happens if someone drives one of these cars without the fob in it.

Like if someone stole mine when I ran into pick up my dry-cleaning, and left it running.

Nope, just like any other car that was left running unattended.
Old 06-17-19, 05:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1

If the engine is already running, yes, it can be driven off even if the fob is not in the car, but, once the engine is shut off, it won't be able to be re-started without the fob present.

Quick Reply: How much $$ is my Stupid mistake going to cost?