ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Infotainment input method: rectangular, circular, or nil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 04:30 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infotainment input method: rectangular, circular, or nil?

I've noticed some variation in the infotainment input methods on 2013-2014 ES 350s. The typical seems to be the rectangular remote touch interface, but there are some models with a circular ****, and some without anything at all. What are these different interfaces? And do they indicate something about the trim level?

Rectangular (remote touch):

Circular:

Nil:
Old 05-23-19, 04:43 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The input device in your first photo is what came with navigation system equipped Generation 6 ES vehicles. The circular device in your second photo is what came with non-navigation equipped Generation 6 ES. I have no idea what the 3rd picture is from, but I'm not aware of any Generation 6 that were delivered in the US that came that way. Even the buttons on the dash don't appear to be from a Generation 6 ES.
Old 05-23-19, 04:46 PM
Tdot416
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also the climate controls in that third pic is off. Perhaps a model not meant for the North American market?
Old 05-23-19, 04:56 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

The pictures are all from 6th Gen ES 350s. Does rectangular remote touch always mean Nav? And circular **** = no Nav? The one missing any input definitely seems like a base trim, but it is still in North America: https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/e...4513203428706/ I too noticed the different climate controls.

I'm trying to get a clear understanding of what the physical features imply about the trim level and feature content.
Old 05-23-19, 05:02 PM
Tdot416
Driver School Candidate

Confirming rectangular always means Nav and circular no Nav. No need for a mouse like controls if you dont have Nav.

That might be the only one in North America lol without either controls. Definitely looks like a base model. You will also noticed a reduce screen size in pic 12 in your link. Im assuming this is to compensate for not needing a screen at all.
Old 05-23-19, 05:13 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for confirming. Yeah that poor inputless model. haha

Does Nav always imply a certain trim level and feature set? Does it's lack always imply anything?

Most sales listings lack much info about the models and sometimes have incorrect details. Shopping requires playing detective. If I know constraints implied physical buttons and features, that will help.
Old 05-23-19, 05:14 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2014 ES/UL. The bottom picture is the base model...no options. The middle picture is with the "Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package", which adds the "Center console controller". The top picture has the "Remote Touch" controller that comes with the "Navigation Package".

This is based on the brochure I've kept. =)
Old 05-23-19, 05:19 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

For the 2014, there are four trims: Base, Premium (Espresso bird’s-eye maple (ES) or Bamboo (ES/ESh) interior trim // Power tilt-and- telescopic steering wheel // Lexus Memory System for driver’s seat, outside mirrors and steering wheel // Remote keyless entry–linked memory), Luxury (+ Perforated leather-trimmed interior // Heated and ventilated front seats), and Ultra Luxury (+ Perforated semi-aniline leather interior trim // Panorama glass roof (ES) // Driver’s-seat power cushion extender // Ambient interior lighting // Power rear sunshade with manual rear-door sunshades).

Then there are packages:
LEXUS DISPLAY AUDIO / BACKUP CAMERA PACKAGE: 7.0-in color LCD multi-information display // Backup camera// Center console controller // Lexus eight-speaker Premium Sound System // HD RadioTMwith iTunes®14 tagging

NAVIGATION PACKAGE: Navigation System6 with color multimedia display // Remote Touch16 controller // Backup camera// Voice command // Enhanced Bluetooth technology // Subscription-free Lexus Enform App Suite4 with Bing,TM iHeartRadio, OpenTable®, MovieTickets.com, Pandora, Yelp® and Facebook Places // Lexus Enform4 with Destination Assist and eDestination. Subscription required. One-year trial subscription included

MARK LEVINSON AUDIO PACKAGE: (Includes Navigation Package) + Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System // 15 GreenEdgeTM high-efficiency speakers with inverted-motor subwoofer // 835-watt Class-D amplifier // Auto volume technology // Machined-aluminum control *****

Then there are additional one, by one options. HOWEVER...most dealers have certain combinations and it'd be hard to find exactly what you want. That said, you normally can order any combination you want...if your dealer is friendly.

Mine has the UL trim plus package and every option--fully loaded. =) ...and I've enjoyed it these last five years and counting.
Old 05-23-19, 05:23 PM
Tdot416
Driver School Candidate

https://www.autotrader.ca/research/lexus/es%20350/2013/

2013 ES350 option packages are as follows:

Premium Package adds power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, heated wood-trimmed steering wheel, Lexus Display Audio System with 7-inch screen and display audio controller, Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat, Espresso bird's-eye maple wood interior trim, rain-sensing intermittent wipers, and backup camera.

Leather and Navigation Package adds (to Premium Package) leather seat surfaces, in-dash single disc DVD player, voice-activated navigation with remote touch and 8-inch LED multi-information display, HID headlamps with dynamic auto-levelling, and heated and ventilated front seats.

Touring Package adds (to Leather and Navigation Package) 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels, semi-aniline leather trimmed interior, Lexus Memory System for front-passenger seat, Mark Levinson 15-speaker 835W premium audio, panoramic glass roof, power truck feature with one-touch auto easy open/close, power rear sunshade with manual rear-door sunshades, and premium illuminated entry.

Technology Package adds (to Touring Package) lane departure alert, advanced pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise system, blind spot monitor system, rear cross-traffic alert, clearance and backup sonar, and intelligent high-beam headlamps.
Old 05-23-19, 05:27 PM
Tdot416
Driver School Candidate

If you are looking for a quick way to see if its the highest model.

Look for the rectangular button on the right beside the heated steering wheel button. It brings a shade up in the rear windshield to shade the sun:

Also these rims and a panoramic roof, you will notice the sunroof is larger and rectangular since it covers the entire roof:

Old 05-23-19, 05:43 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much @Kijug and @Tdot416 ! So, that explains why finding models with blind spot monitoring is so rare! :/

Hmm.. are the US and Canadian option package / trim levels different?
Old 05-23-19, 09:51 PM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

TDOT416,

If thats your ES its very well kept. Looks very nice.
Old 05-23-19, 09:59 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

It's from a sale listing https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/e...0219110908266/
Very nice indeed.

Curious, what's that on the trunk lid? I'm guessing it's the antenna that was relocated from the roof due to the panoramic moonroof?

Last edited by cb109; 05-23-19 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 10:03 PM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks either way it does look good. Its a nice shot to with the light and refelction
Old 05-24-19, 04:05 AM
Tdot416
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tarm
TDOT416,

If thats your ES its very well kept. Looks very nice.
That particular one isnt mine but I have the same model in black.

Originally Posted by cb109
It's from a sale listing https://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/e...0219110908266/
Very nice indeed.

Curious, what's that on the trunk lid? I'm guessing it's the antenna that was relocated from the roof due to the panoramic moonroof?

Your assumptions would be correct. That is an antenna on the trunk.

Quick Reply: Infotainment input method: rectangular, circular, or nil?