ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 different enough than avalon or Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 06:02 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

we have a 2014 avalon in my family. i like the infotainment and center dash better in the avalon than in my es.
i do not find the ES inbterior luxurious enough to differentiate from an avalon. The avalons have been getting pretty upscale as of late.

The only thing i like about the interrior of thhe ES is the wooded steering wheel, very nicely done. I like how it feels and looks.
But the whole dash.......way too much hard plastic, it kills the luxury feel. Same with the plastic in the doors, there's just too much of it.
Now, i wouldn't complain about any of these in a camry or avalon, as they are not priced for extra details. But i do fully expect it from a lexus.
Old 04-12-19, 08:18 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll be at my local Toyota tomorrow. I'll check out the 2019 Avalon limited and head over to Lexus and compare a 2016 ES 350 ultra luxury, 2019 ES 350 ultra luxury, and 2019 GS 350. I stay away from f sport trims like the plague.
Old 04-12-19, 09:23 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
I'll be at my local Toyota tomorrow. I'll check out the 2019 Avalon limited and head over to Lexus and compare a 2016 ES 350 ultra luxury, 2019 ES 350 ultra luxury, and 2019 GS 350. I stay away from f sport trims like the plague.
Friend of mine drove the new Avalon last week and said it's an old ladies car. Drove the ES 350 and still ended up with a 2018 Honda Accord. WTF. I owned the 2018 Honda Accord for about 3 months and didn't like it and came back to the Lexus.
Old 04-12-19, 11:33 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd rather drive a Prius than a new Accord!
Old 04-13-19, 02:59 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I miss my 2008 Prius. Well, it was my first Hybrid
Old 05-16-19, 01:01 AM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got my 2016 ES350 yesterday and I was going between it and a 18 Avalon Touring. After driving both I was surprised how not close it was. Basically new Loaded Avalon vs a 3 yr old 34K ES350 Lux. It was much quieter and steering and feel over all was tighter and more solid. Not to mention the no limit warranty and loaner car etc of Lexus for us as we put 30K/yr it was a no brainier. After being in the ES even the touring Avalon looked cheap and sloppy chaotic inside. Things you never notice when you are use to typical basic non premium cars you really notice once you have time in both. I was surprised how much of a difference it was to me.
Old 05-16-19, 07:54 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When it comes down to luxury a Toyota is a Toyota and a Lexus is a Lexus!
Old 05-16-19, 08:28 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Decided to upgrade my 2009 GS 350 last month and that begged the question, buy a new Camry or for about the same price, a used Lexus. Even though I have had a Lexus since 2007 decided to take a look at the new Camry as I liked the new shape but as soon as I sat in one, I was like no way. I didn't even drive it. I was comparing the 2019 Camry with a 2014/2015 ES 350 and preferred the interior of the older Lexus vs the newer Camry. Now I do realize that is personal preference but I feel like I am spoiled by Lexus. Simply put, Lexus has a more refined and premium feel and I think that really depends on the individual if they either see/feel it or not. In the end, went with a 2016 ES 350 and loving it.
Old 05-17-19, 12:02 AM
tarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hasman69
Decided to upgrade my 2009 GS 350 last month and that begged the question, buy a new Camry or for about the same price, a used Lexus. Even though I have had a Lexus since 2007 decided to take a look at the new Camry as I liked the new shape but as soon as I sat in one, I was like no way. I didn't even drive it. I was comparing the 2019 Camry with a 2014/2015 ES 350 and preferred the interior of the older Lexus vs the newer Camry. Now I do realize that is personal preference but I feel like I am spoiled by Lexus. Simply put, Lexus has a more refined and premium feel and I think that really depends on the individual if they either see/feel it or not. In the end, went with a 2016 ES 350 and loving it.
Personally I would never buy a brand new sedan these days. The depreciation is way way too much compared to top SUVsi.e. 4runner, RX, LR, Wrangler, etc. I could have bought a new Avalon or Camry for close to same $$ I spent but it would be what a 20-22K car the second I took it and 12-15K by the time it hit the same point as my loaded ES I bought. Instead I was able to get 2x+ car for the same price by giving up being the privileged of being the one to put the first 15-30K on it. I know others like to have brand new cars and are willing to trade that lost for knowing no one owned or possibly miss treated it before them. For me I like the idea especially with sedans depreciation rates to let someone else take that huge first 2 yr hit and get 2x the car I would be willing to budget for if it were new. Opinions vary I know, but that's mine.

Another car with even more dep thats a steal with 15-20K on them is the 2016 Genesis; all day long @ $23-26K tech to ultimate package which sold for $53K+ new. Ultimately I chose the sure bet with Lexus.

As for being spoiled by Lexus I think this being my first real luxury manf car I have ruined myself going forward by choosing to test drive and then purchase a Lexus. It would be very hard for me to not be disappointed with your typical general manf vehicles now unless it was something like a truck or possibly a specific muscle car like a Hellcat etc.. For general use I think I screwed myself in terms of being satisfied with your typical basic vehicle and service. I mean come on, my Lexus Sales Rep bought me lunch while I was waiting and we were still hashing things out and none of the more typical Sales BS. Comfy seats nice clean upscale rest rooms, profession and treated with proper manners and respect. Office work area with computers to use etc.

What Ford Chevy Honda even Toyota dealer are you going to get that kind of service/treatment from? I never had a issue with how my past cars were put together before this. After a detailed look of my ES interior I feel like a blind monkey must have put my Sonata together and a brainless one designed it.

I am ruined, completely ruined now.. Thanks Lexus you F---d me good. Yet I am soo happy...this is all very confusing!?!
The following users liked this post:
jollick (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 07:10 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2018 ES300h w/Mark Levinson and...I have no words. I’ll take it over the Camry on sound alone.

Never sat in an Avalon.
Old 05-17-19, 07:41 PM
tarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by byadg
I have the 2018 ES300h w/Mark Levinson and...I have no words. I’ll take it over the Camry on sound alone.

Never sat in an Avalon.
Excluding the newest 19' Avalon its just a longer softer riding Camry. Bit more lux but nowhere close to a ES IMO. Now once they discontinue the GS series the next change according to the manager @ my Lexus Dealer which is HUGE stated they are integrating many GS features into the ES line. There will be AWD version and a upgraded engine and a sports edition. I can not speak to the accuracy of his statements but it does track with what I have seen stated a number of times over the last yr or two. They also now have engine config and tunes that pushes the same HP as the current GS but without the 40-50 cent/gal penalty of having to use premium fuel. An AWD ES350 with a normal or sports 10/90 tq split fnt/rr would be my ideal car for this area with real active 4 corner dampening control so you can have soft mush to tight and firm with adj steering ratio resp would be perfect in the larger roomier ES.
Old 05-20-19, 01:28 AM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tarm
Excluding the newest 19' Avalon its just a longer softer riding Camry. Bit more lux but nowhere close to a ES IMO. Now once they discontinue the GS series the next change according to the manager @ my Lexus Dealer which is HUGE stated they are integrating many GS features into the ES line. There will be AWD version and a upgraded engine and a sports edition. I can not speak to the accuracy of his statements but it does track with what I have seen stated a number of times over the last yr or two. They also now have engine config and tunes that pushes the same HP as the current GS but without the 40-50 cent/gal penalty of having to use premium fuel. An AWD ES350 with a normal or sports 10/90 tq split fnt/rr would be my ideal car for this area with real active 4 corner dampening control so you can have soft mush to tight and firm with adj steering ratio resp would be perfect in the larger roomier ES.
I have nothing against the Avalon, it just that I’ve owned Camrys (and a Prius and a beloved Celica)but have always coveted a Lexus after riding in a few. I’ve just never borrowed, rented, or had a friend with an Avalon
Old 05-20-19, 02:57 AM
tarm
Rookie

Yes that are no where near as common as the Camry so no surprise there. But being in an Avalon is just a larger softer suspension camry from my experience. Being in a ES is being in a luxury car. So far everyone that has had been in our ES as its made its new to me car rounds thru the friends have all stated how much nicer and quieter etc yada yada it is to any camry they been in or any other normal brand mid size car accords maxima etc.
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (05-21-19)