ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Figured out why my speakers were sounding so empty and no bass

Old 02-12-19, 10:49 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Is Bluetooth volume set to max on the phone? It should. Otherwise you will be increasing volume on the head unit to compensate and it is quite possible that Lexus will cut low frequency response in order not to overdrive the speakers.
issue is not loudness tho, best way i can describe is that on bluetooth my audio sounds like a non-hd fm radio station. and then via usb it sounds much richer, as if HD was turned on FM station
Old 02-12-19, 10:55 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
issue is not loudness tho, best way i can describe is that on bluetooth my audio sounds like a non-hd fm radio station. and then via usb it sounds much richer, as if HD was turned on FM station
You asked us to do the comparison test for you and we did. Now I ask you to check the Bluetooth volume setting. How about you just do it rather than hypothesize why it should not matter?
Old 02-12-19, 04:26 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

You asked us to do the comparison test for you and we did. Now I ask you to check the Bluetooth volume setting. How about you just do it rather than hypothesize why it should not matter?
ok, had to wait to finish work before testing this.

so, i brought both bluetooth and usb to same levels of volume, for the sake of this test i did volume level 40.
Surround is on and off, i tried both ways.
Then same volume on my iphone XR, about middle for both blue tooth and usb.

there's still a significant difference in how the audio plays, bluedtooth audio just feels like itt's missing something. i'm not an audiophile, so i can't correctly describe it. my best description is when you first turn on fm radio before the HD signal is captured, that's how my audio over bluetooth sounds. Then you know how when your radio catches the HD signal for the station and it suddenly sounds a lot better? that's the difference between my bluetooth audio and audio connected to iphone via usb
Old 02-12-19, 04:36 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
ok, had to wait to finish work before testing this.

so, i brought both bluetooth and usb to same levels of volume, for the sake of this test i did volume level 40.
Surround is on and off, i tried both ways.
Then same volume on my iphone XR, about middle for both blue tooth and usb....
What NdYAG meant, is make sure the Bluetooth volume on your PHONE is set to max. The easiest way to do this is by start streaming and hold the "up" volume until it's maxed. You can also do this through the phone's sound settings.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (02-13-19)
Old 02-12-19, 06:48 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Recently got a 17 es service loaner. Thought that the stereo was absolutely terrible until I realized that my phone volume was reduced when I connected it to Bluetooth. Adjusted it via buttons on side of phone and there was a dramatic improvement.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 06:13 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike728
What NdYAG meant, is make sure the Bluetooth volume on your PHONE is set to max. The easiest way to do this is by start streaming and hold the "up" volume until it's maxed. You can also do this through the phone's sound settings.
and i did mention i set same volume level on the PHONE for both bluetooth and usb:

" Then same volume on my iphone XR, about middle for both blue tooth and usb. "

strange issue really, but usb works fine so i'll leave it at that
Old 02-13-19, 06:42 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

If I am not mistaken when you output via USB the phone's volume setting doesn't make any difference. You are essentially sending a digital signal to the car's head unit bypassing the audio circuitry in the iPhone. When you output via Bluetooth on the iPhone the volume level on the phone does come into play. It takes the phone's amplified signal, converts to bluetooth and sends that on to the car where it's converted back to an analog signal and amplified by the head unit.
Old 02-13-19, 06:57 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
If I am not mistaken when you output via USB the phone's volume setting doesn't make any difference. You are essentially sending a digital signal to the car's head unit bypassing the audio circuitry in the iPhone. When you output via Bluetooth on the iPhone the volume level on the phone does come into play. It takes the phone's amplified signal, converts to bluetooth and sends that on to the car where it's converted back to an analog signal and amplified by the head unit.
i thought this might have been the issue, so like previous posters mentioned, i did try to fiddle with volume on the phone itself via bluetooth. it does get considerably louder, but the music sounds shallower than when connected via usb.

my other guess is that maybe the audio over bluetooth gets compressed and thus it looses some of the clarity from the source. but this is me talking out of my A$$ as i'm not an expert in this field
Old 02-13-19, 07:30 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Not sure why is it hard to understand but let's try again. Set Bluetooth volume on the phone to MAX. Set the volume on the car to be the same - e. g. to 40 on BOTH Bluetooth and USB sources (each source has it own adjustment and it remembers it). Set the automatic volume leveling to off on both sources.

Also you may want to check settings in the app that plays music on your phone to make sure it does not do any additional processing of volume leveling.
Old 02-13-19, 08:57 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

FWIW, on the ES, the volume is independent based on input, for example if I have the usb on 20 and switch to Bluetooth and put it on 30, when I go back to usb it is on 20 again. If you are raising the volume on usb and then switching to Bluetooth, make sure to adjust that volume as well.
Old 02-13-19, 09:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

If you set the Bluetooth sound on your phone to "MAX" and it sounds noticeably different than when connected via USB, you should take it in and have it fixed. Are you still under warranty?
Old 02-14-19, 08:59 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2018 ES 350 and I also notice a clear difference in between USB and Bluetooth. Phone volume in both cases at 100%, volume on the car with both sources at level 18 and listening to music at 320kps. Via USB the music is much clearer and bass is tighter.
Old 02-14-19, 09:48 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Originally Posted by OBLexus
I have a 2018 ES 350 and I also notice a clear difference in between USB and Bluetooth. Phone volume in both cases at 100%, volume on the car with both sources at level 18 and listening to music at 320kps. Via USB the music is much clearer and bass is tighter.
All DSP settings the same?

Isn't volume value 18 kinda low?
Old 02-14-19, 11:01 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

All DSP settings the same?

Isn't volume value 18 kinda low?
volume 18 in car is pretty high when the volume is set to MAX on the phone.

so, i did try your suggestion yesterday night. MAX volume on iphone via bluetooth and usb as well.

Same issue, audio over bluetooth sounds kind of shallow vs usb. And yes DSP settings exactly the same on both usb and bluetooth.

i did some searching on google, this is what i could find:

audio over usb in the case of iphones = iphone internal processor converts digital to analog, then analog gets converted back to digital by signal processing in car headunit. NO LOSS OF SIGNAL/DATA during this process.

Audio over bluetooth = gets compressed one more time (i'm assuming this for mp3s, since they are compressed already). This might be the reason i notice sound quality difference between the 2.

Old 02-14-19, 11:39 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

I will try it with iPhone later today. I think it works differently on android.

Last edited by NdYAG; 02-14-19 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Figured out why my speakers were sounding so empty and no bass