ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Blinking feature on center rear brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 08:40 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Blinking feature on center rear brake light

Has anybody installed a litttle board to make the center brake light blink a few times before it lights continuously? I had installed it on my motorbike a long time ago and it was easy, however I am wondering if this will confuse the computer in this car if I do so.

i get nervous because people tend to tailgate a lot and I think this helps get the attention of those who are following too closely.

BTW I am talking about a 14 ESh. If anybody has done this already I will appreciate any information they can provide.

Thanks..
Old 02-10-19, 10:01 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

I recently installed this on my 1998 Corvette. Testing it out I found that it actually does draw the eye to the flashing brake light. I was reluctant to cut into the factory wiring of my Corvette and found a plug that matched the plug going into the brake fixture, and the other end matched the power supply plug. The flasher I got on Ebay for about $10.00, and the in-between cable and plugs were $15.00. You would have to find out what the plugs are, and obtain a cable to attach to each plug. The new cable is cut in the middle and the flasher spliced in. Attach it and see if it works... Really don't have a clue with the ES. You might be able to get a cable at a salvage yard or maybe find one from China on Ebay. Plan "B" is cut your Lexus factory wiring and insert the flasher inline. There are two wires, + and - .
The following users liked this post:
zes (02-10-19)
Old 02-10-19, 10:51 AM
zes
Advanced

Thanks. Good idea on not cutting wires. I will look at where the wire goes into the light..
Old 02-10-19, 04:31 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
Thanks. Good idea on not cutting wires. I will look at where the wire goes into the light..
If you don't mind, take a couple photos to share with us.
Old 02-22-19, 11:37 AM
RyanLD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking to work on the 3rd brake light removal is simple. The housing should slide to the left of the car then the front, at which point it will come free. Then rotate the fixture 180 degrees, at which point you should be able to disconnect the connector.
zes (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 05:44 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by RyanLD
If you are looking to work on the 3rd brake light removal is simple. The housing should slide to the left of the car then the front, at which point it will come free. Then rotate the fixture 180 degrees, at which point you should be able to disconnect the connector.
Thank you so much! I went into the trunk and of course there is no access from there. I tried prying the fixture while kneeling on the back seat but could not do it. I will now use the approach you have suggested.

I have one other question. Somebody recommended to unplug the power and airbags. I do not see any reason to do that. Agree?
Old 02-23-19, 08:57 PM
zes
Advanced

OK I tried pushing the housing left and it did not budge. Does anybody on the board have a repair manual where they can show how to remove the housing and access the bulb? Thanks..
Old 02-25-19, 07:58 AM
RyanLD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be left relative to the front of the car, so if you are facing the back, your right. Sorry for the ambiguous wording. I would post pictures from the repair manual, but I have had them removed before. I believe the manual does specify disconnecting the battery for almost all electrical operations, but you should be fine as long as you aren't actually removing the connector from the wires.
zes (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 08:20 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
OK I tried pushing the housing left and it did not budge. Does anybody on the board have a repair manual where they can show how to remove the housing and access the bulb? Thanks..
One thing to clarify, is that you're not going to change the LED array. There is no bulb to change. To obtain the flashing 3rd. light the flasher unit must be inserted inline from the power source to the LED array. Two wires in and two wires out... Plus and negative...
Old 02-25-19, 10:05 PM
zes
Advanced

OK, Thank you!
Old 02-26-19, 10:39 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zes
OK, Thank you!

Did you get it?

I went out and looked in the trunk hoping that the wiring was in there. Since you need to splice the flasher inline with the wiring. I saw no wiring in the trunk
Old 02-26-19, 06:48 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by gamma742
Did you get it?

I went out and looked in the trunk hoping that the wiring was in there. Since you need to splice the flasher inline with the wiring. I saw no wiring in the trunk
It is to cold to work on the car :-) Waiting for it to warm up!
Old 02-27-19, 09:52 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never been a fan of those modulators on bikes - to me, all it gets them thinking is "wtf is that flashing light" instead of seeing a brake light and stopping. Also, if you're brake checking to get ppl to see that light, you're not exactly being safe. Get out of the way, or pull away.

On motorcycles, you mitigate your surroundings - being complacent and hoping a light flash will get ppl away from you, after brake checking them, is being reliant on the other person keeping you safe.

ON a car, same deal - why brake check ppl? move out of the way. Hoping people will back off to keep you safe, is, well, hoping ....
Old 02-27-19, 05:44 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamestpc
l - why brake check ppl? move out of the way. Hoping people will back off to keep you safe, is, well, hoping ....
Let's not assume zes is getting this device installed to "Brake Check" ppl.?.?
Old 02-27-19, 08:33 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree. At times especially late at night while driving on the highway you kind of get lost in thoughts and go through the motions and sometimes seeing that quick blink of light snaps you out of it. I dont see it often at all. But could you imagine how annoying itd be if every car had that

Quick Reply: Blinking feature on center rear brake light