ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 - 87 Octane or 91 Octane???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 11:27 PM
AnantD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need 140 plus hp at the wheels with a ES size car to have adequate response in the mountains. You can get this with a 260 plus hp car or a 230 hp turbo car. Anything less is going to strain to keep up in traffic in the Colorado mountains. I lived in Colorado for many years so I know a little bit about this. The ESH is going to be 120-150 hp in the mountains, depending on altitude. Evergreen is at around 7000 ft or more on 285
Old 01-27-19, 11:35 PM
AnantD
Driver School Candidate

Tesla’s are electric only and not hybrids and would be excellent in the mountains. You could regen a lot of lost energy on the down hill grades.
Their total power is unaffected by altitude.
Thats why the regular ES with its 268 to 302 hp V6 does fine though you do feel the loss of power.
Old 01-03-23, 07:24 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by actright
After picking up the ES350 before I left the lot, the salesman told me that the ES motor was designed for 87 Octane, I had an 02' Acura TL and always used 91 octane. I feel like 91 runs better on V6's, Wanted to see what other users recommend for gas on a daily commuter.
I just got an 19 ES 350 f sport very confused which fuel I should use 87 or 91 ? And if it is 87 do I run in problem If I use the 91 other than my wallet !?? Thanks
Old 01-03-23, 10:30 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Please, just check your owners manual. It will specify what’s correct.
Old 01-04-23, 03:31 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, check your owner's manual. I don't know about the F Sport, but normal ES 350s (mine is a 2014) use 87 octane. Using higher octane won't hurt your car, just your wallet. That said, going lower can hurt your engine over time (i.e., going lower when "performance engines" desire a high octane).

The octane affects how "compressed" the gas needs to be before the spark plug ignites. Using the correct octane is timed correctly with the spark plug timing. Technically, if you change octane from the recommended, you should alter your spark plug timing. You're not getting any benefit from going "higher" in octane and you'll only cause "knock" if you go lower (eventually causing problems).

I love the ES 350 because it has a good-enough ooomph for me but uses only inexpensive 87 octane. My previous 2003 Acura TL Type-S had about the same performance but used 91 octane at +$0.40/gal more. Ug. Now my son has to deal with that since he has the Acura now. LOL!
Old 01-06-23, 02:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

Just a FYI. Without pointing to any one post, there is a slew of misinformation here about this topic, and what would and would not happen. Most other Lexus Model Forums here know about this. Seems the 4th Gen GS, and the ES Forums are not as aware. There are very experienced Tuners who have spent 1000's of hours on the newest Lexus ECU's. From the Stock Baseline maps to changes, to get peak efficiency maps. The Data is the Data.

Start to research Lexus ECU KCLV and more.
Old 03-24-24, 11:07 PM
ArthurFW
9th Gear

Default Octane, altitude and compression ratio

Remember, the higher the elevation above sea level the less your engine can "make use of" the fuel's octane rating. In other words, the octane rating number requirement decreases with altitude.

The ES 350's compression ratio means the engine has been tuned and spec'd to use 87 octane fuel at sea level (where atmospheric pressure is highest). Using a higher octane fuel is utterly pointless and a gratuitous waste of money. It's just as pointless using higher octane fuel at higher altitudes.

Colorado has 85 octane fuel because of its typically higher elevation above sea level.
The following users liked this post:
autotech13 (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 09:09 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

I found this YouTube video that pretty much shows how marginal the power increase might be as you go to progressively higher octane ratings. The only fuel that showed any significant power increase was the E85 but, if you wait until near the end of the video, they explain that it requires up to 30% more fuel flow to achieve that! (hardly an economical choice).

Here's the link

If you don't want to be bothered with watching the video, here's the comparison chart: you'll note that this is with an engine producing twice the power that our 3500 V-6 does. If, however, you've made up your mind that if you are paying more you must be getting some benefit then...that's your choice. I'll go with science and real life testing.

Old 03-26-24, 06:11 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Reading the owners manual is quite informing in telling you what octane to use!
Old 03-26-24, 05:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I found this YouTube video that pretty much shows how marginal the power increase might be as you go to progressively higher octane ratings. The only fuel that showed any significant power increase was the E85 but, if you wait until near the end of the video, they explain that it requires up to 30% more fuel flow to achieve that! (hardly an economical choice).

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqyTPfNj1Q&t=605s

If you don't want to be bothered with watching the video, here's the comparison chart: you'll note that this is with an engine producing twice the power that our 3500 V-6 does. If, however, you've made up your mind that if you are paying more you must be getting some benefit then...that's your choice. I'll go with science and real life testing.

LOL! On a American LS V8 engine? Don't know what the Timing is set at, don't know what compression the hand built motor is running? That it is on a stand. No temp changes, No load, no air changes. Then no time and miles for the ECU to adjust, and not a Lexus ECU with KCLV mapping. Ok.
Old 03-27-24, 01:08 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

I will just say what works for me. I run regular 87 in both of my trucks (5.3). I use a mixture of marvel mystery oil and marine stabil every few tanks to lessen the effects of ethanol and keep the fuel pump and top end lubricated.

In my ES 350 and 4Runner I run premium. I use the same mixture in every few tanks for the same reason, being careful not to use too much as to set off any codes. The premium fuel in both of these vehicles makes a notable difference in performance (power and gas mileage).

When I switched to premium on the ES 350 I first unhooked the battery, replaced the MAF sensor, air filter and pcv valve. I then hooked the battery back up and started driving. I noticed a small change right away. Another reason for running premium for me is to keep carbon deposits down on the valves and top of the pistons. On previous engine tear downs, you can tell right away a properly tuned and good running engine from others just looking at the top of the piston.
Old 03-27-24, 06:04 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rmak
I will just say what works for me. I run regular 87 in both of my trucks (5.3). I use a mixture of marvel mystery oil and marine stabil every few tanks to lessen the effects of ethanol and keep the fuel pump and top end lubricated.

In my ES 350 and 4Runner I run premium. I use the same mixture in every few tanks for the same reason, being careful not to use too much as to set off any codes. The premium fuel in both of these vehicles makes a notable difference in performance (power and gas mileage).

When I switched to premium on the ES 350 I first unhooked the battery, replaced the MAF sensor, air filter and pcv valve. I then hooked the battery back up and started driving. I noticed a small change right away. Another reason for running premium for me is to keep carbon deposits down on the valves and top of the pistons. On previous engine tear downs, you can tell right away a properly tuned and good running engine from others just looking at the top of the piston.
If you want to keep carbon deposits down, use Top Tier gas.
The following users liked this post:
rmak (03-27-24)
Old 03-27-24, 09:48 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Been so many comments on here and this is always a crazy topic full of psuedo-science and people arguing this and arguing that.
I just use whatever the manufacturer says.
Also much prefer top tier gas if I can.

If it says use 87, use 87. Sometimes I like to put 93 in there because it makes me feel better. I also use techron after every oil change because it makes me feel better. I don't notice a gas mileage difference on 93.
if it says use 93, use 93.
My mom drives a 2022 Genesis GV70 with the 3.5L Twin-Turbo. Requires premium. It's my mom's vehicle, but my dad or myself usually fill the gas in it. I drive it around (pretty fun to drive actually!) pretty frequently.. I noticed that when she got gas for the first time it felt slower, then a week later she complained that her MPG dropped by 1-2. I asked her and she filled 87. However, Hyundai states that it needs 91/93 for optimal performance and 87 is "acceptable".