Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2015 ES300h DOOR LOCKING ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 01:45 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2015 ES300h Door Locking Issue

My 2015 ES300h, purchased new on 2/27/2015, now has 57,000 miles and its very first issue.

On 12/07/2018, I attempted to lock my doors with the key fob and did not hear the feedback tone or see the feedback lights. I checked and all doors were locked except the left front. I opened the left front door, closed the button manually (it would not close with the power button), closed the door, and it functioned normal; all doors locked and unlocked with the key fob, I heard the feedback tone, and saw the feedback lights.

On 12/13/2018, I attempted to lock my doors with the key fob and this time experienced the same thing only the right front door was not locked. I opened the right front door, closed the button manually (it would not close with the power button), closed the door, and it is functioning normal again; I hear the feedback tone and see the feedback lights.

The warranty is mileage expired and Lexus may or may not repair goodwill. Before I incur a $149.88 diagnostic fee, does anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by wdlugitch; 12-17-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 07:47 PM
F4injected
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the fob battery?
Old 12-13-18, 08:18 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by F4injected
Change the fob battery?
I thought of that, and brought out my other key fob I had never used and installed a new battery last week. Everything was working fine until today, when I experienced the same issue only this time with the right front door. Everything is working normal again, but for how long?
Old 12-13-18, 09:31 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My first thought would be door lock actuators. The fact that the left and right door are having problems may make finding the issue real tricky. First thing to check is the Hybrid 12V battery. If that battery is on its way out the car will do weird things. If the battery is in great condition then I would check the door lock actuators. When the car is running try locking and unlocking the doors multiple times to see if they work. Then try when the car has sat overnight.
The following users liked this post:
wdlugitch (12-14-18)
Old 12-14-18, 06:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, another member posted the steps for re-initializing the door locking system.

Ultimately, it didn't work for him, and his problem was a bad door actuator, but, since your problem seems to be more intermittent and since it is effecting different doors each time, it might be worth trying. In any case, it couldn't hurt

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...s-working.html
Old 12-14-18, 08:01 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
A couple of weeks ago, another member posted the steps for re-initializing the door locking system.

Ultimately, it didn't work for him, and his problem was a bad door actuator, but, since your problem seems to be more intermittent and since it is effecting different doors each time, it might be worth trying. In any case, it couldn't hurt

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...s-working.html
I actually saw that on 12/7 and did it but the problem returned yesterday on the right door. I have done it again, and will be bringing it in to Longo Lexus on 12/17 for diagnosis and pain.
Old 12-15-18, 06:01 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Try to briefly disconnect the accessory battery. I know of a case when it fixed a very similar problem - albeit not in a Lexus.
Old 12-15-18, 06:48 AM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, where did my last post go?

You have 2 failing actuators, just order the refurb units linked to in the door lock thread and replaceme them. It's very simple, even if you haven't done the work before and will take about an hour.

Your issue is almost exactly the same as mine.
Drivers front worked intermittently so sometimes it would chirp on lock, sometimes it would partially lock but no chirp then it failed completely.
Replaced the lock and just a couple of weeks later had the same symptoms from the front passenger side lock.
Replaced it and everything has been fine for months.

These actuators have been an issue for multiple models and it's the same actual lock motor that's at fault.

Now that the refurbs are available, there is no reason not to just swap both of the problem units out on your car. The refurbs are cheaper than the lexus diagnostic fee and it will take about an hour to swap both sides.

The only reason mine took longer was I decided to add some dynamat to the inside of the door while I had the door skin removed. That took longer than the part swap, it's that easy.
Old 12-15-18, 09:09 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jberger
Hmm, where did my last post go?

You have 2 failing actuators, just order the refurb units linked to in the door lock thread and replaceme them. It's very simple, even if you haven't done the work before and will take about an hour.

Your issue is almost exactly the same as mine.
Drivers front worked intermittently so sometimes it would chirp on lock, sometimes it would partially lock but no chirp then it failed completely.
Replaced the lock and just a couple of weeks later had the same symptoms from the front passenger side lock.
Replaced it and everything has been fine for months.

These actuators have been an issue for multiple models and it's the same actual lock motor that's at fault.

Now that the refurbs are available, there is no reason not to just swap both of the problem units out on your car. The refurbs are cheaper than the lexus diagnostic fee and it will take about an hour to swap both sides.

The only reason mine took longer was I decided to add some dynamat to the inside of the door while I had the door skin removed. That took longer than the part swap, it's that easy.
You present a good argument for just replacing both actuators, which I considered. I have bought many Lexus from this dealer and am hoping whatever the issue is Lexus will handle it even though it is out of the mileage but not time warranty. I will report back.
Old 12-15-18, 09:10 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Try to briefly disconnect the accessory battery. I know of a case when it fixed a very similar problem - albeit not in a Lexus.
What is the accessory battery, the hybrid 12-V in the trunk?

Last edited by wdlugitch; 12-15-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 02:34 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
What is the accessory battery, the hybrid 12-V in the trunk?
Yes, the non-hybrid 12V one in the trunk (the one above the tailpipe, not the one behind the seat).
Old 12-17-18, 06:00 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

I dropped my car off this morning and just received a message on my answering machine late this afternoon from the service consultant that the technician confirmed that "the door lock actuators are failing on the two front doors." This is my fifth new Lexus, and third from this dealership. The car is now 45 1/2 months old, within the time warranty, and has 57,201, out of the mileage warranty. I will speak with him tomorrow and hope Lexus takes responsibility.
Old 12-18-18, 07:45 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
I dropped my car off this morning and just received a message on my answering machine late this afternoon from the service consultant that the technician confirmed that "the door lock actuators are failing on the two front doors." This is my fifth new Lexus, and third from this dealership. The car is now 45 1/2 months old, within the time warranty, and has 57,201, out of the mileage warranty. I will speak with him tomorrow and hope Lexus takes responsibility.

Ouch! That could be expensive. I hope they do some type of goodwill warranty for you seeing how you are a repeat customer from this dealership.
Old 12-18-18, 08:21 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This door lock actuator failing is worrisome. Nothing we can do to anticipate or keep it from happening I guess. I'm just waiting for the day it happens to my 2015
Old 12-18-18, 08:22 AM
F4injected
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like it would be a pretty simple DIY if you are up for it. Mine hasnt failed yet, but looks like I should prepare in case it does.

Quick Reply: 2015 ES300h DOOR LOCKING ISSUE