Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H Passenger Side Heated Seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 01:56 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300H Passenger Side Heated Seat not working

Hi Guys, I need some helps for you.

My ES300H 2013 model passenger heated seat is not heating up. It is freezing cold forever even after I turned on. The switch showed the light is on and the driver side is working perfectly.

Did anyone have the same issue before? If yes how do you get it fix? My wife is complaining every day and I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Terry
Old 12-08-18, 03:34 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

My old Acura eventually short circuited and I about burned my butt. To get it replaced they would have to replace the entire seat for $400 plus labor at the time (15 years ago). I have a 2014 ES UL and the seats use a different heating system [carbon heaters, not sure the difference]. That said, I get the seat warm and then turn it off. I now minimize the use because I like the heated seats but do not want to wear them out.

So, I cannot speak for Lexus [yet] but you might have to have the seat replaced if you are out of warranty, and I'm sure with Lexus, that won't be cheap.
Old 12-08-18, 04:32 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
My old Acura eventually short circuited and I about burned my butt. To get it replaced they would have to replace the entire seat for $400 plus labor at the time (15 years ago). I have a 2014 ES UL and the seats use a different heating system [carbon heaters, not sure the difference]. That said, I get the seat warm and then turn it off. I now minimize the use because I like the heated seats but do not want to wear them out.

So, I cannot speak for Lexus [yet] but you might have to have the seat replaced if you are out of warranty, and I'm sure with Lexus, that won't be cheap.
I use all the amenities that come with my car and don't worry about wearing them out, so do you have actual evidence that Lexus seats of today's cars are at risk of "wearing out"?
Old 12-08-18, 05:36 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by terrykuiho

My ES300H 2013 model passenger heated seat is not heating up. It is freezing cold forever even after I turned on. The switch showed the light is on and the driver side is working perfectly.

Did anyone have the same issue before? If yes how do you get it fix? My wife is complaining every day and I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it.

Terry
IMO, you need dealer's help. When switch is pushed on does the indicator light come on and stays on? I dumped 2015 BMW X5 which had seat heater problem repeatedly.
Old 12-08-18, 08:33 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
IMO, you need dealer's help. When switch is pushed on does the indicator light come on and stays on? I dumped 2015 BMW X5 which had seat heater problem repeatedly.
yes it stayed on and didn't turn off....
Old 12-08-18, 08:37 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't sound good and I just booked an appointment with Lexus and the lady over the phone told me that I need to go for a diagnosis first and 149 per hour... It is just a diagnosis and there are more to come....

OMG.
Old 12-09-18, 05:47 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I use all the amenities that come with my car and don't worry about wearing them out, so do you have actual evidence that Lexus seats of today's cars are at risk of "wearing out"?
No, and I fully expect Lexus amenities to last. =) That said, I do enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel and just don't keep 'em on too long.

FWIW, 4 1/2 years and I haven't had a single problem with my 2014 ES UL (just regular maintenance). Yea! Just one of the reasons I bought the car.
Old 12-09-18, 07:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Terry
You can do some basics yourself. First, see if a fuse controls the circuit and if so, is it still good. Second, if you have a volt meter look under the seat and see if you can locate the plug that controls the seat heater. Make sure it's connected properly and securely. Then unplug it and check for voltage in the supply end of the plug. Should be +12V. Check to see if the ventilation feature works for cooling. Determining these steps might save you some money in the "diagnosis" @ $149.00 per hour... GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-09-18, 08:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Doesn't sound good and I just booked an appointment with Lexus and the lady over the phone told me that I need to go for a diagnosis first and 149 per hour... It is just a diagnosis and there are more to come....

OMG.
I'd suggest cancelling your appointment with the Lexus dealer and making one with a Toyota dealer (or independent mechanic). i'm confident in guessing that, if you go to a Toyota dealer, regardless of what repairs are ultimately needed, you will save substantially with both the diagnosis and the cost of the actual repair. Over the course of my 15 years of owning Lexus vehicles, the cost of both routine maintenance and repairs at the local Toyota dealer has been one half (or less) of what the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same work. The Toyota dealer can do any work on an ES that a Lexus dealer could do, and they will use the same parts and materials that the Lexus dealer would use.
Old 12-09-18, 02:39 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'd suggest cancelling your appointment with the Lexus dealer and making one with a Toyota dealer (or independent mechanic). i'm confident in guessing that, if you go to a Toyota dealer, regardless of what repairs are ultimately needed, you will save substantially with both the diagnosis and the cost of the actual repair. Over the course of my 15 years of owning Lexus vehicles, the cost of both routine maintenance and repairs at the local Toyota dealer has been one half (or less) of what the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same work. The Toyota dealer can do any work on an ES that a Lexus dealer could do, and they will use the same parts and materials that the Lexus dealer would use.
Now would this apply if say the Toyota dealer and Lexus dealer are right next to each other and owned by the same company? This happens to be just in my case.
Old 12-09-18, 02:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Originally Posted by Albo
Now would this apply if say the Toyota dealer and Lexus dealer are right next to each other and owned by the same company? This happens to be just in my case.
Probably not. If they have the same ownership, there is a good chance that they won't even service each other's cars. I've also read reports of Toyota and Lexus dealers who are geographically close to each other, even if they don't have the same ownership, making agreements with each other not to service each other's vehicles. But those are the exception and not the rule.
Old 12-10-18, 06:12 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

No, and I fully expect Lexus amenities to last. =) That said, I do enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel and just don't keep 'em on too long.

FWIW, 4 1/2 years and I haven't had a single problem with my 2014 ES UL (just regular maintenance). Yea! Just one of the reasons I bought the car.
Thanks and I loved my Lexus too. This is my first issue with my Lexus after 6 years!
Old 12-10-18, 06:14 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
You can do some basics yourself. First, see if a fuse controls the circuit and if so, is it still good. Second, if you have a volt meter look under the seat and see if you can locate the plug that controls the seat heater. Make sure it's connected properly and securely. Then unplug it and check for voltage in the supply end of the plug. Should be +12V. Check to see if the ventilation feature works for cooling. Determining these steps might save you some money in the "diagnosis" @ $149.00 per hour... GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for your suggestion and maybe I will get a voltmeter (hopefully it's not too expensive) to check it out. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-18, 06:15 PM
terrykuiho
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for you suggestion and I do also book an appointment with Toyota. Their cost is $129 and still not cheap