ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio for an ES 350 Base

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 11:08 PM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

I realize this thread is a few months old and is about the 6th Gen, but I figured I'd chime in as I was super picky when looking for my ES350. I purchased a 2011 last May. I decided my must-haves were either black or smoky granite mica exterior on black interior, black/brown two-tone (UL only) or light gray interior. I wanted to see what all the rave was about the ML sound system. As you are aware, ML cars are like finding a needle in a haystack. I test drove an IS250 with a basic system, an 08 ES350 without the ML, an 09 UL pkg with the ML (but it had broken speakers). I almost swore off the ML based on that 09. I also realized later that you won't get the full effect of the ML until you have a CD in, a Bluetooth device connected, or an aux connection. You cannot rely on am/fm/xm radio for sound quality. I then drove an 07 LS460 with the ML and, wow, I was blown away! Aside from the LS being a superb car and a couch on wheels, I decided to still go with the ES (the LS is out of this world, but more than I wanted to spend for a 10-12 model). Anyway, I decided I wanted an ES with the UL pkg. They are super rare, and I love the wheels, panoramic roof, semi-analine leather, driver seat cushion extender, and they all come with the ML system as far as I know. I searched nationwide and found one 863 miles away. It was an 11 with 76k, one owner, no accidents, very good condition, smoky granite mica on gray, UL package. I lucked up by having a friend that lived within 5 miles of the car lot, so I had him drive and inspect it. Once I got his ok, I did the deal on the phone, overnighted the paperwork, then flew up to get it.

I must say, my favorite feature of this car is the ML system. At a young age of 37, my hearing is already not the best, but it's even worse now because I can't drive this car without the volume being at mid 50s to the max at 62! My only disappointment is the door panel insulation. After blasting the stereo a couple of months, I developed rattles there. I had to put some foam insulation between the panel and the window switches, as well as behind the plastic piece behind the interior door handle. Once I did that, it fixed the rattles.

I absolutely love this car! I will say, it's just as good as the Bose system in my 00 and 01 Acura TLs. When it's time to replace this one, I will most definitely find an UL pkg ES with the ML. You won't pay that $4k premium with it being used, but you will pay more for one with it, as they are very hard to find. To me, it was worth the hassle and travel to get one. Plus, you're driving a rarer ES. As others have stated, it's not feasible trying to upgrade it. You'd be better off just buying a UL pkg car, and after all my rambling, my advice is to just find a UL pkg car. I don't regret it one bit.

Last edited by JRA2000TL; 03-23-19 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 12:57 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
I realize this thread is a few months old and is about the 6th Gen, but I figured I'd chime in as I was super picky when looking for my ES350. I purchased a 2011 last May. I decided my must-haves were either black or smoky granite mica exterior on black interior, black/brown two-tone (UL only) or light gray interior. I wanted to see what all the rave was about the ML sound system. As you are aware, ML cars are like finding a needle in a haystack. I test drove an IS250 with a basic system, an 08 ES350 without the ML, an 09 UL pkg with the ML (but it had broken speakers). I almost swore off the ML based on that 09. I also realized later that you won't get the full effect of the ML until you have a CD in, a Bluetooth device connected, or an aux connection. You cannot rely on am/fm/xm radio for sound quality. I then drove an 07 LS460 with the ML and, wow, I was blown away! Aside from the LS being a superb car and a couch on wheels, I decided to still go with the ES (the LS is out of this world, but more than I wanted to spend for a 10-12 model). Anyway, I decided I wanted an ES with the UL pkg. They are super rare, and I love the wheels, panoramic roof, semi-analine leather, driver seat cushion extender, and they all come with the ML system as far as I know. I searched nationwide and found one 863 miles away. It was an 11 with 76k, one owner, no accidents, very good condition, smoky granite mica on gray, UL package. I lucked up by having a friend that lived within 5 miles of the car lot, so I had him drive and inspect it. Once I got his ok, I did the deal on the phone, overnighted the paperwork, then flew up to get it.

I must say, my favorite feature of this car is the ML system. At a young age of 37, my hearing is already not the best, but it's even worse now because I can't drive this car without the volume being at mid 50s to the max at 62! My only disappointment is the door panel insulation. After blasting the stereo a couple of months, I developed rattles there. I had to put some foam insulation between the panel and the window switches, as well as behind the plastic piece behind the interior door handle. Once I did that, it fixed the rattles.

I absolutely love this car! I will say, it's just as good as the Bose system in my 00 and 01 Acura TLs. When it's time to replace this one, I will most definitely find an UL pkg ES with the ML. You won't pay that $4k premium with it being used, but you will pay more for one with it, as they are very hard to find. To me, it was worth the hassle and travel to get one. Plus, you're driving a rarer ES. As others have stated, it's not feasible trying to upgrade it. You'd be better off just buying a UL pkg car, and after all my rambling, my advice is to just find a UL pkg car. I don't regret it one bit.
I'd be worried that playing it that loud would damage the speakers.
Old 03-25-19, 03:46 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimv1983
I'd be worried that playing it that loud would damage the speakers.
I'm equally worried that max level could damage the speakers; and more damage to the ears.......
That said, that was a good perspective of an owner with ML.
Old 09-13-20, 02:48 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 16 ES 300h UL with ML system, sound seems amazing
Old 09-13-20, 05:09 PM
egk2lexus
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

If possible spend a little more and find an es350 the way you want it from the get go instead of trying to retrofit after the fact. Way easier.

I specifically searched for an UL package because I wanted the ML system. It sounds amazing imo, its one of my favorite things about the car, makes my commute really
enjoyable.
Old 09-13-20, 08:13 PM
abrown0809
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The base system isn't bad at all. Everyone that gets in my car says it has good sound.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickAz (09-16-20)