ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How do you remove the ES 350 Grill, to replace it with another one.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 05:38 PM
AlbertoGC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do you remove the ES 350 Grill, to replace it with another one.

Hello,

Today I was driving in traffic and their was a random cone in the middle of the highway. I had cars around me, this didn't let me serve. So I took the cone when I got out the car I noticed that I damaged my whole grill. Can someone tag me in another post or help me with how to replace the grill of a 2018 Lexus ES 350.

Thanks attached are the photos of my horrific experience

Cracked Bottom lip and cracked grill can barely see, minor bottom bumper crack

Missing tow piece
Old 11-13-18, 08:15 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Why do you want to replace the whole grill? See if you can get a cover for the tow hook receptacle? It would be much cheaper. The other damage can barely be seen..
Old 11-13-18, 09:21 PM
AlbertoGC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because you can really see it, and you have to take care of your car at the moment. If not things start stacking up.
Old 11-14-18, 07:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Sorry, I don't have specific instructions, but I do know that you need to uninstall the bumper to get access to the attachment points for the grille.
Old 11-14-18, 08:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertoGC
Because you can really see it, and you have to take care of your car at the moment. If not things start stacking up.
For a brand new car I'd do the same thing. Every time I'd see it I'd get annoyed. GOOD LUCK Alberto...
Old 11-14-18, 08:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
For a brand new car I'd do the same thing. Every time I'd see it I'd get annoyed. GOOD LUCK Alberto...
I agree, If it was my car and if I didn't replace the damaged grille, it would bother me every time I saw the car.

Plus, once there are cracks in the bumper and its structural integrity has been compromised, it will be susceptible to further cracking from vibration, hitting bumps, etc.

I had a similar incident about 30 years ago. I drove over some object that had just fallen from a truck. The result was a tire blowout and damage to the rocker panel on the driver's side of the car. Subsequently, I was able to make a claim on the comprehensive coverage of my insurance. What my insurance agent told me was that, if the object that I struck had stopped moving, it would be a collision coverage claim, which would have been subject to my deductible and would have been classified as a chargeable accident. However, if the object that I drove over was still moving when I drove over it, it would have been classified as a comprehensive claim. As a comprehensive claim, not only was it not a chargeable accident, but my comprehensive coverage has a $0 deductible. So, the OP might want to check with his/her insurance company. If making a claim would be considered to be a collision coverage claim, it likely would not make sense to make a claim, but, if it was covered by comprehensive coverage, making a claim might be a good option.

Just to add a bit of information, the price of a new grille, including the toe hook cover, should be somewhere around $600. A shop would add about 2 hours of labor charges to uninstall the bumper cover, replace the grille, and re-install the bumper cover. So, the bulk of the expense to have a shop replace the grille would be the cost of the part itself. Considering that, if it was my car, I'd choose to let a shop do the work, instead of trying to do it myself.

Last edited by lesz; 11-14-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 09:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I agree, If it was my car and if I didn't replace the damaged grille, it would bother me every time I saw the car.

Plus, once there are cracks in the bumper and its structural integrity has been compromised, it will be susceptible to further cracking from vibration, hitting bumps, etc.

I had a similar incident about 30 years ago. I drove over some object that had just fallen from a truck. The result was a tire blowout and damage to the rocker panel on the driver's side of the car. Subsequently, I was able to make a claim on the comprehensive coverage of my insurance. What my insurance agent told me was that, if the object that I struck had stopped moving, it would be a collision coverage claim, which would have been subject to my deductible and would have been classified as a chargeable accident. However, if the object that I drove over was still moving when I drove over it, it would have been classified as a comprehensive claim. As a comprehensive claim, not only was it not a chargeable accident, but my comprehensive coverage has a $0 deductible. So, the OP might want to check with his/her insurance company. If making a claim would be considered to be a collision coverage claim, it likely would not make sense to make a claim, but, if it was covered by comprehensive coverage, making a claim might be a good option.

Just to add a bit of information, the price of a new grille, including the toe hook cover, should be somewhere around $600. A shop would add about 2 hours of labor charges to uninstall the bumper cover, replace the grille, and re-install the bumper cover. So, the bulk of the expense to have a shop replace the grille would be the cost of the part itself. Considering that, if it was my car, I'd choose to let a shop do the work, instead of trying to do it myself.
This is good information. Number one son parked his car at a shopping center and some moron placed a cart next to it. It was a windy day and - you know the rest - the cart was blown into the door panel causing scratches and a dent. Called Liberty Mutual, they came out, classified it as a collision, and the deductible kicked in. $500.00 damage, $500.00 deductible.
I canceled the policy the next day after signing with a new company. Now I know how to report these issues... Thanks Les.