Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2016 ES300H rear ended extensive damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 10:05 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 ES300H rear ended extensive damage

Greetings:
Was rear ended by a texting driver while stopped in construction zone on I15 in Arizona. Other driver was cited by AZ hwy patrolman who responded. No serious injuries but impact was enough to trigger air bags in other vehicle. Extensive front end damage to other vehicle and it was not drive able. Our vehicle was drive able but have false air bag light and seat belt light. None of our air bags deployed. All lights, turn signals etc. work but obstacle sensing and bsm does not work due to sensor damage. Photo does not reflect extent of damage. There are ripples in body behind rear driver door and bottom of floor in trunk. I am concerned about battery damage due to high impact in that area. Looking for input from similar experiences. I know that any accident/repair history is a kiss of death in the used car market. Also as a Vet my USAA coverage for car rental during repair is limited to $30 day/900 total which does not come close to providing a comparable vehicle during a repair period that could be a month in this case. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-20-18, 10:19 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad to hear that there were not serious injuries.

I wouldn't begin to guess as to the cost of repairing the car, but, if you have "ripples" in the quarter panels and the bottom of the trunk, I would guess that the damage is not just sheet metal damage but that you also have structural damage. I would not be surprised if the cost of repairs is sufficient for the insurance company to declare the car to be a total loss, but that is just a guess.

Good luck with repairs and with dealing with the insurance companies.
Old 10-21-18, 08:43 AM
Sobro
Driver School Candidate

The other driver's insurance should cover your car rental. Give them a call. But I agree with lesz, I think your car is totaled.
Old 10-21-18, 09:23 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I really do not think it will be a total loss, but I sure would be interested in what the insurance company says.
Old 10-21-18, 09:32 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

lesz:
Will know more Tuesday when body shop blessed by my insurance company (USAA) does an estimate. I am torn between adhering to USAA's recommendation and getting multiple estimates. I suspect that repair entities especially when they are blessed tend to favor insurance company's as repeat business vs a probable one up visit by me. I have shopped for a used Lexus twice and any doc on accidents/damage was an automatic exclude from my consideration. I would prefer a "totaled" verdict but don't know if the estimate will come close to the 28-31K blue book value for a 2016 Lexus 300H ,loaded with only 14k miles. Trying to find guidelines as to new/used parts for repairs as that will have impact on estimate amount. This is a new experience so there is a lot to learn. Thank you for your input.
Sobro:
Good suggestion . Trying to determine if any expenses over my Insurance Company (USAA) coverage can be done by arbitration with other drivers insurance company and a call at this point will answer some of the questions. The other driver told me he has minimum insurance and was afraid of loosing his home if litigation is required. I can understand my insurance company's policy for car rental as I will get no more than what I paid for. On the other hand the accident was 100% not my fault but it appears if anything above my insurance company's terms will have to be done by me or by litigation paid for by me.
Thank you for your input
Old 10-21-18, 10:01 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I really do not think it will be a total loss, but I sure would be interested in what the insurance company says.
I agree. Unfortunately it puts me into the same accident/damage category I avoided when I purchased this vehicle used. When I sell this vehicle I will not commit deceit by omission so do not know what effect this repair will have on value.
Thank you for your input/
Old 10-21-18, 10:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I could be mistaken in my earlier statement that I won't be surprised if the insurance company decides to declare the car to be a total loss. I base what I said by having seen numerous posts on the CL boards where people have posted about collision damage, and, when I saw the pictures that they posted, my initial guess would have been that the cost of repairs would have been, say, $10,000, but the actual cost of repairs turned out to be well over twice that much.

Today's cars have so much electronics built into them, and the cost of repairing various electronic components can add up fast. For example, the cost of each of the 4 parking sensors in the rear bumper is around $250. When lots of $250 or $500 parts need to be replaced, the cost of repairs can quickly rise to a staggering level. But my thoughts about the possibility that your car could be a total loss are largely based on your description of the damage and the possibility that there is structural damage. If there is significant damage to the unibody/"frame" and if there is significant damage to the rear quarter panels, the cost of straightening and/or welding in new parts could also add up quickly.

In most states, the threshold for declaring a car to be totaled is somewhere around 75% of its current value. I see that, in Alaska, the threshold is determined by a formula that takes into account the car's current value and the salvage value of the car. Since the front end of your car is undamaged, the large number of very expensive components in that front portion of your car should increase its salvage value. And the high salvage value should mean that, even if the repair costs don't come close to 75% of the car's total value, the insurance company may still determine that the cost of repairing the car would be greater than what a total loss payout minus the salvage value would be. In that case, they would decide to declare the car to be a total loss.
Old 10-21-18, 10:37 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
I could be mistaken in my earlier statement that I won't be surprised if the insurance company decides to declare the car to be a total loss. I base what I said by having seen numerous posts on the CL boards where people have posted about collision damage, and, when I saw the pictures that they posted, my initial guess would have been that the cost of repairs would have been, say, $10,000, but the actual cost of repairs turned out to be well over twice that much.

Today's cars have so much electronics built into them, and the cost of repairing various electronic components can add up fast. For example, the cost of each of the 4 parking sensors in the rear bumper is around $250. When lots of $250 or $500 parts need to be replaced, the cost of repairs can quickly rise to a staggering level. But my thoughts about the possibility that your car could be a total loss are largely based on your description of the damage and the possibility that there is structural damage. If there is significant damage to the unibody/"frame" and if there is significant damage to the rear quarter panels, the cost of straightening and/or welding in new parts could also add up quickly.

In most states, the threshold for declaring a car to be totaled is somewhere around 75% of its current value. I see that, in Alaska, the threshold is determined by a formula that takes into account the car's current value and the salvage value of the car. Since the front end of your car is undamaged, the large number of very expensive components in that front portion of your car should increase its salvage value. And the high salvage value should mean that, even if the repair costs don't come close to 75% of the car's total value, the insurance company may still determine that the cost of repairing the car would be greater than what a total loss payout minus the salvage value would be. In that case, they would decide to declare the car to be a total loss.
Lesz:
Excellent information. The manager at the 'blessed" repair center did a quick analysis based on my request so I could determine best estimate for rental duration. He said there would be welding involved for replacement of the rippled trunk floor and possibly in other areas so it appears the level of impact could bring up other issues you described. Like you I think the total repair cost could be high enough but need to look at the specifics of how original vale, salvage value etc are determined for Alaska. Also need to know if the fact that the accident occurred in Arizona is an issue. Looks like a real educational process. Thanks for your help
Old 10-21-18, 08:46 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

UgashikBob
You have to be very careful here. If the floor has rippled then the shop may be able to straighten it out but next time if a texting driver hits it in the back, the car will not protect the occupants as well as it did the first time. Try to insist on getting it totaled. No point in taking a risk. People are really distracted theses days.
Old 10-21-18, 09:10 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Curious if the c pillar has any buckling? That usually throws it into the totaled category.
Old 10-23-18, 05:59 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Curious if the c pillar has any buckling? That usually throws it into the totaled category.

What's a c pillar?

Sorry about the accident, UgashikBob.

Just a guess, but I think the cost of repair will be a little under a total loss. I agree though that the cost and labor of parts add up.
Old 10-25-18, 03:59 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

C pillar is the one between the rear doors and rear window.
A pillar is in front, B is between the doors.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (10-25-18)
Old 10-30-18, 05:26 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Just curious as to what the damage estimates turned out to be and what the insurance company decided to do.
Old 11-08-18, 08:00 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

I had an estimate done with the most reputable collision center in the area (also approved by my insurance company USAA) and the total came to $4612.55. The collision center manager noted that there is a good possibility the total will be higher if other issues that can not be determined now are found during the repair process. Yes the C pillar was rippled and is included in the estimate but there are things like battery inspection that are not on the estimate that i will discuss at repair time. There was a 5 day wait just to get the estimate done and 20+ day wait for the actual repair to commence which is next week. I hope these delays indicate how busy the repair center is and a testimony to the quality of work they do.
Several unresolved issues. $500 deductible on the collision repair which is a function of my policy and $30 a day maximum and $900 total for car rental during repair. Have done extensive shopping for rental car and $30 dollars a day doesn't get you anywhere near what we were driving. Also the accident flag after your VIN number enters the searchable data base definitely effects resale/trade in value. Arizona law will not allow you to apply for accident report until 15 days after the accident which I did and am awaiting the report. I want to wait to contact the other drivers insurance company to insure all documentation points to the fact there is no doubt as to the cause. I would like the other drivers insurance company to pay the #500 deductible so my vehicle can be released after repair so plan on contacting them. Also will rightfully claim any car rental expense over the $30 a day max and the $900 total provision of my policy as the repair center estimates 15 days minimum for the repair. Hard to find doc on what is considered a fair replacement rental car as my insurance company closes that door with rental caps. In an ideal world my insurance company would go after the other insurance company/individual but not sure how that works and if my expectations on the deductible, rental car comparable, and diminished value post accident are realistic. Also future premium increases by my insurance company is a given and has to be added to the previously mentioned items as the total cost for someone else's mistake. Will keep posting as this progresses but welcome all comments/suggestions.
Old 11-08-18, 08:20 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UgashikBob
I had an estimate done with the most reputable collision center in the area (also approved by my insurance company USAA) and the total came to $4612.55.

Also future premium increases by my insurance company is a given and has to be added to the previously mentioned items as the total cost for someone else's mistake. Will keep posting as this progresses but welcome all comments/suggestions.
If the accident was the fault of the other driver, which should be the case here, there should not be an effect on your insurance premiums.

I have to say that I am quite surprised that the repair estimate is only $4600. I will be even more surprised if the final repair bill isn't substantially higher than that number.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES300H rear ended extensive damage