Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2016 ES300H rear ended extensive damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 02:09 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by UgashikBob
I had an estimate done with the most reputable collision center in the area (also approved by my insurance company USAA) and the total came to $4612.55. The collision center manager noted that there is a good possibility the total will be higher if other issues that can not be determined now are found during the repair process. Yes the C pillar was rippled and is included in the estimate but there are things like battery inspection that are not on the estimate that i will discuss at repair time. There was a 5 day wait just to get the estimate done and 20+ day wait for the actual repair to commence which is next week. I hope these delays indicate how busy the repair center is and a testimony to the quality of work they do.
Several unresolved issues. $500 deductible on the collision repair which is a function of my policy and $30 a day maximum and $900 total for car rental during repair. Have done extensive shopping for rental car and $30 dollars a day doesn't get you anywhere near what we were driving. Also the accident flag after your VIN number enters the searchable data base definitely effects resale/trade in value. Arizona law will not allow you to apply for accident report until 15 days after the accident which I did and am awaiting the report. I want to wait to contact the other drivers insurance company to insure all documentation points to the fact there is no doubt as to the cause. I would like the other drivers insurance company to pay the #500 deductible so my vehicle can be released after repair so plan on contacting them. Also will rightfully claim any car rental expense over the $30 a day max and the $900 total provision of my policy as the repair center estimates 15 days minimum for the repair. Hard to find doc on what is considered a fair replacement rental car as my insurance company closes that door with rental caps. In an ideal world my insurance company would go after the other insurance company/individual but not sure how that works and if my expectations on the deductible, rental car comparable, and diminished value post accident are realistic. Also future premium increases by my insurance company is a given and has to be added to the previously mentioned items as the total cost for someone else's mistake. Will keep posting as this progresses but welcome all comments/suggestions.

My sympathies.

The deductible-I believe that should be covered by the at fault party, so you may get that back

The car rental---the point of insurance company car rental is just to get you "wheels"--it was never intended to replace or be in the same league as the insured car. It will get you a bare bones econobox and that's about it.

As for increased insurance premiums in future-again that should only be if you are at fault, which is clearly not the case here. Your insurance rates should not rise at all.
Old 11-08-18, 02:09 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm in California and a year ago I was hit by someone running a stop sign. The damage was originally estimated under $3,000... after 62 days in the shop the total was just shy of $17,000, increased weekly. My insurance and the persons insurance that hit me refused to total the car. Value of the car vs. the repairs. I had frame damage. We were told that if we had another front end accident the car "should" perform if the welding was done properly. The day I got the car back took it to the dealer and bought a new car. Huge loss.
Old 11-08-18, 03:02 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
I'm in California and a year ago I was hit by someone running a stop sign. The damage was originally estimated under $3,000... after 62 days in the shop the total was just shy of $17,000, increased weekly. My insurance and the persons insurance that hit me refused to total the car. Value of the car vs. the repairs. I had frame damage. We were told that if we had another front end accident the car "should" perform if the welding was done properly. The day I got the car back took it to the dealer and bought a new car. Huge loss.
That's a real bite in the a$$. Totally unfair, you being the innocent party... I would have done the same thing...
Old 11-12-18, 02:50 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does your insurance policy have new car replacement coverage that usually is good for about 2 years and/or 15,000 miles?
Old 11-18-19, 06:35 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings:
Sorry for the delay updating this horror story but we live in a remote area of Alaska during the summer and Arizona in the winter and just recently returned to Arizona with working internet and phones. When the original estimate was done by USAA's choice in Bullhead City ($4612.55) the manager noted that additional costs could happen if other damage is found during tear down. After waiting a long time for the repair to begin I received a call from the manager of the body shop telling me to come down and get my auto because they would not work on it as there was extensive damage from an earlier rear end collision. First time I was aware of it because we were under the impression we had a low mileage cream puff. The foreman of the body shop spent a lot of time with me showing the extent of the previous damage and the extent of repair that was done to cosmetically camouflage the damage. The dealer I purchased the car from was fooled, I was fooled, and the owner of the body shop with 30+ years experience was fooled. USAA then informed me they had paid 22K on the very same vehicle from a previous read end collision. USAA sent the body shop in Bullhead City a check for the $4612.55 immediately after receiving the estimate. The body shop in Bullhead City returned the vehicle to the same condition they received it in. The dealer in Salt Lake City where we stored the vehicle during the winter suggested I have the repair done by him with a repair center he was both familiar with and trusted. The repair was done in Salt Lake City and I am satisfied the vehicle is in better shape than when we purchased it. We have one hard to get rear sensor to replace that I plan on doing myself. The total repair cost is amazingly close to the original estimate of $4612.55 but I am reluctant to settle for that amount. Yes the amount covers what it cost to return the car to pre-accident status but all of our inconvenience should be worth something. Any comments suggestions welcome
Old 11-18-19, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The total repair cost is amazingly close to the original estimate of $4612.55 but I am reluctant to settle for that amount. Yes the amount covers what it cost to return the car to pre-accident status but all of our inconvenience should be worth something. Any comments suggestions welcome
Unfortunately, thats just not the way this works. Outside of any diminished value claim, which there won't be because of the prior rear end collision, and your rental costs...what it costs to fix the car is what the insurance owes. If you want to recover "inconvenience" money or "pain and suffering" money you'll have to file a lawsuit, which I think would be pointless.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (11-18-19)
Old 11-18-19, 02:23 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Greetings:
Sorry for the delay updating this horror story but we live in a remote area of Alaska during the summer and Arizona in the winter and just recently returned to Arizona with working internet and phones. When the original estimate was done by USAA's choice in Bullhead City ($4612.55) the manager noted that additional costs could happen if other damage is found during tear down. After waiting a long time for the repair to begin I received a call from the manager of the body shop telling me to come down and get my auto because they would not work on it as there was extensive damage from an earlier rear end collision. First time I was aware of it because we were under the impression we had a low mileage cream puff. The foreman of the body shop spent a lot of time with me showing the extent of the previous damage and the extent of repair that was done to cosmetically camouflage the damage. The dealer I purchased the car from was fooled, I was fooled, and the owner of the body shop with 30+ years experience was fooled. USAA then informed me they had paid 22K on the very same vehicle from a previous read end collision. USAA sent the body shop in Bullhead City a check for the $4612.55 immediately after receiving the estimate. The body shop in Bullhead City returned the vehicle to the same condition they received it in. The dealer in Salt Lake City where we stored the vehicle during the winter suggested I have the repair done by him with a repair center he was both familiar with and trusted. The repair was done in Salt Lake City and I am satisfied the vehicle is in better shape than when we purchased it. We have one hard to get rear sensor to replace that I plan on doing myself. The total repair cost is amazingly close to the original estimate of $4612.55 but I am reluctant to settle for that amount. Yes the amount covers what it cost to return the car to pre-accident status but all of our inconvenience should be worth something. Any comments suggestions welcome
Glad to hear the repair was to your satisfaction.

Base on my experiance dealing with insurance company (have had a few between myself, wife and parent's over the years), most likely the other party's insurance (USAA?) is not to going pay a dime more than what it cost to repair the car to the original condition, despite what you feel in terms of the "inconvenience". As a matter of fact, we just settled a claim with USAA 3 weeks ago on my parent's 06 Mercedes E350 (88k miles on her), it was rear ended by a guy who couldn't stop in time on a perfect sunny day in n. California (I suspect cell phone has to do with it). It took nearly 2 months to finalize the settlement with USAA, which in my opinion is one of the worst insurance company (maybe the worst) I have ever dealt with in terms of communication and response. I literally have to call them every other day to get updates. Long story short, USAA finally agreed to pay out $9K to declare the Mercedes salvage and we took the option to "Owner Retain" the car at $1.5K. Then I tooked it to another body shop and have it repaired at $5.8K. Anyway my 16YO nephew is going to take the Mercedes as a hand-me-down first car, he is happy. My retired father is happy to gift it my nephew instead of selling it since he is the original owner. We net $1.7K on this ordeal and total NOT worth it the time I spent on it.

You may want to seek advise from an attorney and see if he/she is willing to take on the case. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (11-18-19)
Old 11-19-19, 05:12 AM
UgashikBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen:
Thank you for taking the time to confirm my suspicions. The only for sure thing dealing with an attorney is there fee.