ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Blind Spot monitoring.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 03:39 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Blind Spot monitoring.

On a non-Lexus car, I noticed the blind spot monitoring had 2 colors of warning. Orange for it's in the blind spot, and red if it's in the blind spot and very close.

There was also an audible alert.

On the Lexus ES350, are any of these possible? Either the two color warning system, or the audible alert?
Old 08-17-18, 04:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

No, just the orange light.
Old 08-18-18, 11:04 AM
nuraman00
Instructor

Ironically, after making this post, on my commute home, the blind spot indicator turned red when I was in a parking spot and another car was passing me by. At least I think it turned red. And I heard an audible alert.

Maybe the audible alert is only if it turns red?

Ok, this video is pretty good:

They don't mention a red alert. I guess I just thought I saw something red.

Old 08-18-18, 11:21 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Ironically, after making this post, on my commute home, the blind spot indicator turned red when I was in a parking spot and another car was passing me by. At least I think it turned red. And I heard an audible alert.

Maybe the audible alert is only if it turns red?

Ok, this video is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_JfEN-LMF8

They don't mention a red alert. I guess I just thought I saw something red.
If you were in reverse while this happened, it was likely RCTA (Rear Cross-Traffic Alert) alerting you to the passing vehicles in case you were unable to see them approaching.
Old 08-18-18, 12:36 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by signdetres
If you were in reverse while this happened, it was likely RCTA (Rear Cross-Traffic Alert) alerting you to the passing vehicles in case you were unable to see them approaching.
I think I was in reverse, to back out of the parking spot.

So I guess the audible alert was for that, then, and not blind spot monitoring.

Having sat in that other driver's car, I kind of liked having the audible alert every time for blind spot monitoring, as well as the 2 levels of indication, orange and red. It should probably be somewhat configurable, as in whether to have the audible alert or not, because others might not like it.
Old 08-18-18, 04:59 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I was in reverse, to back out of the parking spot.

So I guess the audible alert was for that, then, and not blind spot monitoring.

Having sat in that other driver's car, I kind of liked having the audible alert every time for blind spot monitoring, as well as the 2 levels of indication, orange and red. It should probably be somewhat configurable, as in whether to have the audible alert or not, because others might not like it.
I think Lexus is lacking in terms of blind spot. I have a Hyundai that does an audible alert (which can be turned off) as well as warns early if a car is coming up too fast. Let says a car is speeding by you, the car will sense that someone is gaining on you and will light up early so you don't prematurely change lanes. Same thing goes with the radar cruise control in the Lexus, it won't come to a complete stop it will beep at 30 mph and then you have to take control. Rear traffic alert is also not up to par, on my Hyundai it will show you the direction the traffic is coming from when in reverse. Other automakers are ahead when i comes to safety features.
Old 08-18-18, 07:30 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
I think Lexus is lacking in terms of blind spot. I have a Hyundai that does an audible alert (which can be turned off) as well as warns early if a car is coming up too fast. Let says a car is speeding by you, the car will sense that someone is gaining on you and will light up early so you don't prematurely change lanes. Same thing goes with the radar cruise control in the Lexus, it won't come to a complete stop it will beep at 30 mph and then you have to take control. Rear traffic alert is also not up to par, on my Hyundai it will show you the direction the traffic is coming from when in reverse. Other automakers are ahead when i comes to safety features.
Good observations. I didn't know it was possible to see what direction the rear traffic alert was coming from, on other cars.

I always have to turn my head, to see which side is lighting up on the side mirrors.

For the example of the car speeding by, do you think that means that the radar range is greater than that of the Lexus?

I also saw a video for Infiniti cars, for their pre-collision. They call it forward collision warning. Their video said that their radar scans 2 cars ahead. So that it will sense if the car 2 cars ahead suddenly slows down, then the car immediately ahead will also suddenly slow down too. So you get a warning on your car if the car 2 cars ahead suddenly slows down.

I do like how Lexus makes these features standard, even if they are not quite as robust as the ones on other manufacturers. But as you pointed out, there is also room for improvement, when compared to other competitors.

BTW, the other car that I sat in was a Mercedes.

So I would suggest that Lexus could make their blind spot monitoring like Hyundai and Mercedes do it, and their pre-collision like Infiniti, to improve it.

On the Infiniti, neither blind spot nor forward collision warning is standard.
Old 08-18-18, 08:00 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good observations. I didn't know it was possible to see what direction the rear traffic alert was coming from, on other cars.

I always have to turn my head, to see which side is lighting up on the side mirrors.

For the example of the car speeding by, do you think that means that the radar range is greater than that of the Lexus?

I also saw a video for Infiniti cars, for their pre-collision. They call it forward collision warning. Their video said that their radar scans 2 cars ahead. So that it will sense if the car 2 cars ahead suddenly slows down, then the car immediately ahead will also suddenly slow down too. So you get a warning on your car if the car 2 cars ahead suddenly slows down.

I do like how Lexus makes these features standard, even if they are not quite as robust as the ones on other manufacturers. But as you pointed out, there is also room for improvement, when compared to other competitors.

BTW, the other car that I sat in was a Mercedes.

So I would suggest that Lexus could make their blind spot monitoring like Hyundai and Mercedes do it, and their pre-collision like Infiniti, to improve it.

On the Infiniti, neither blind spot nor forward collision warning is standard.
I should clarify a bit. The direction from which traffic is crossing is only when backing up. It shows arrows on the screen showing which way the car crosses. As for the car speeding by in your blind spot, I i think the sensors in the bumper can reach a longer range than the Lexus. The Infinity thing is pretty cool but I highly doubt it will show up on the ES at least any time soon as Lexus is slow to update tech. The safety system being standard is great but it kinda sucks when a Hyundai has more tech then a Lexus (not saying Lexus is bad just needs to get updated).
Old 08-19-18, 10:44 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What I hate about the Mercedes BSM is the fact that it always lights up when you’ve slowed down and come to a halt or are at very low speed - even if you’re next to a wall for example (where in essence no car can come from the side). In the Lexus it doesn’t do that.
Old 08-19-18, 10:58 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Some Lexus models have a more advanced version of blind-spot monitoring and do alert you prematurely if it detects speeding cars coming from a distance away. I've driven a 2015 RC 350, 2018 RX 350L & 2018 RX 450hL that all had this version of BSM.

Also, other Lexus models have a different version of adaptive cruise control that will bring the car down to a full stop and even actively steer in traffic. My GS has this version of adaptive cruise but not the more advanced blind-spot monitoring system.

I think on paper, the Lexus systems seem a little lacking but in real-world use, they're quite reliable and intelligent systems. Coming from an Infiniti Q50S that had all the tech you've mentioned previously as well as other cars with these features, the Lexus systems seem to have the least amount of false positives, never miss cars or objects, etc. The implementation seems to be finely tuned to not disrupt from your drive and only be an aid whereas other systems from other manufacturers (like Infiniti) are extremely intrusive and distract from the driving experience.

Last edited by signdetres; 08-19-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 04:30 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by signdetres
Some Lexus models have a more advanced version of blind-spot monitoring and do alert you prematurely if it detects speeding cars coming from a distance away. I've driven a 2015 RC 350, 2018 RX 350L & 2018 RX 450hL that all had this version of BSM.

Also, other Lexus models have a different version of adaptive cruise control that will bring the car down to a full stop and even actively steer in traffic. My GS has this version of adaptive cruise but not the more advanced blind-spot monitoring system.

I think on paper, the Lexus systems seem a little lacking but in real-world use, they're quite reliable and intelligent systems. Coming from an Infiniti Q50S that had all the tech you've mentioned previously as well as other cars with these features, the Lexus systems seem to have the least amount of false positives, never miss cars or objects, etc. The implementation seems to be finely tuned to not disrupt from your drive and only be an aid whereas other systems from other manufacturers (like Infiniti) are extremely intrusive and distract from the driving experience.
How did you like driving the Q50S vs. the GS 350 F-Sport? Were they both RWD?

What are some other similarities and differences from your experience?
Old 08-20-18, 08:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OBLexus
What I hate about the Mercedes BSM is the fact that it always lights up when you’ve slowed down and come to a halt or are at very low speed - even if you’re next to a wall for example (where in essence no car can come from the side). In the Lexus it doesn’t do that.
I have noticed that with MB's BSM: The warning light is on even when traffic has stopped, unlike the warning on my 2015 ESh, which turns off when traffic is stopped, even though there may be something in my blindspot.

I was reminded of a feature of my BSM this morning while driving in to work. If the warning light is on (there is a car in your blindspot) and you ignore it and signal to turn into the lane in front of that vehicle in your blindspot, the warning light blinks. I have my side mirrors turned out far enough and I also installed wide-angle convex mirrors so that I have eliminated my blindspot; by checking my mirrors (no shoulder check required), I can tell when I can make a lane-change, even if the BSM warning light is lit.