ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Potential Moonroof Clunking/Rattle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 06:03 PM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys,

Sorry for going MIA after first posting this. Had a baby literally a week after starting this thread, and got really busy with life.

Anyways, I just wanted to follow up on this. Since August, I've put about 20k miles on the car, and still no issues with the moonroof rattle. There was one time when I thought I heard it, but it just ended up being something my wife left in the car.

At this point, I highly recommend the fix for anyone that's constantly annoyed with the moonroof rattle. I remember I got to the point, where I was going to get rid of the car just to get my sanity back. Now I will probably keep it for a long time.

For those of you who tried the fix, thank you so much for having your trust in me. I am really happy that it worked for you as well.

One a side note: I did have another rattle that I was coming from the dash area in my car (passenger side). It ended up being a plastic trim piece right below the dash (right where your legs would be). I stuffed a piece of foam tape/weather strip in the small gap. You can't see the foam, and it keeps that trim piece in place. Now the car is completely silent, and a pleasure to drive. The only thing that rattles now is my baby's car seat base (just my luck). The car itself, is a million times better.

I hope this helps someone else out. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
mwengineer (06-26-21)
Old 03-18-19, 12:54 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by supaman1o1
Hi Guys,

Sorry for going MIA after first posting this. Had a baby literally a week after starting this thread, and got really busy with life.

Anyways, I just wanted to follow up on this. Since August, I've put about 20k miles on the car, and still no issues with the moonroof rattle. There was one time when I thought I heard it, but it just ended up being something my wife left in the car.

At this point, I highly recommend the fix for anyone that's constantly annoyed with the moonroof rattle. I remember I got to the point, where I was going to get rid of the car just to get my sanity back. Now I will probably keep it for a long time.

For those of you who tried the fix, thank you so much for having your trust in me. I am really happy that it worked for you as well.

One a side note: I did have another rattle that I was coming from the dash area in my car (passenger side). It ended up being a plastic trim piece right below the dash (right where your legs would be). I stuffed a piece of foam tape/weather strip in the small gap. You can't see the foam, and it keeps that trim piece in place. Now the car is completely silent, and a pleasure to drive. The only thing that rattles now is my baby's car seat base (just my luck). The car itself, is a million times better.

I hope this helps someone else out. Thanks!
Congrats on your Baby arrival !!!
It is good to hear that the fix actually worked; it will help others as well.
Old 03-18-19, 07:56 AM
supaman1o1
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hisstojay
Congrats on your Baby arrival !!!
It is good to hear that the fix actually worked; it will help others as well.
Thank you! She definitely keeps us running around. I was actually really glad the fix worked, because she sleeps through car rides without a loud clunking sound waking her up. I'm glad I was able to help out.
Old 10-21-19, 09:32 PM
Sfarrow
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here are Lexus GS 350 moonroof-rattle remedy instructions

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60742-2280.pdf
rmak (11-04-19)
Old 11-03-19, 08:13 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

My 2014 ES300h with 108k has developed the sunroof rattle recently. I have replaced the seal and now the rattle is gone - thanks to this forum for all the knowledge. I beleive this is the first "repair" (i.e. not upgrade or maintenance) I have done to the car.
jollick (11-04-19)