ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Avalon vs ES350

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 03:22 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I also feel like the Avalon feels more "tin-can" like than the Lexus ES. More road noise enters and it just feels lighter. It's not a huge difference however. Many people who don't really care about cars or appreciate technology and construction may not notice.

That said, I feel like German cars still have the solid-feeling that nobody else does.
Old 06-25-18, 07:02 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Even though I agree with the others who have said that the ES is a better car than the Avalon and that its superiority makes it worth the relatively small price premium, I think it is important to note that this is an ES forum, and I would expect that responses to the same question might be different on a Toyota board. With both posts on this board and with those on a Toyota board, I'm sure confirmation biases come into play as a result of those posting on both boards feeling a need to justify their purchase choices.
Old 07-01-18, 11:36 AM
daljaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Avalon vs ES

I bought a new 2014 Avalon because the salesman promised me it was identical to a Lexus ES. I traded in a Camry which I really liked. I kept the Avalon almost 2 years and put only 18,000 miles on it. I was very disappointed. The quality of the ride was terrible, the smoothness and quietness did not equal the Camry. Under warranty the driver's seat had to be repaired once and the leather replaced a second time. Engine noise and road noise was very loud in the cabin. After living with these imperfections I traded it in for a 2015 Lexus ES and there is no comparison. For the difference in price, the ES is a much better car. I wish I the Avalon had not been misrepresented to me by the salesman. It pays to do some research and test drives before making a decision.
Old 07-01-18, 01:13 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

When I was shopping Avalon vs Lexus 350 Lexus was actually cheaper thanks to some Lexus Canada price promotions. Add to this the fact that any Lexus dealer likely has a good supply of them in stock. Here in Canada, the Avalon is virtually a forgotten car and I would be lucky to even find a Toyota dealer with one in stock.
Old 07-01-18, 01:27 PM
way2lo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A word of thanks for the replies ...Lexus it is.
Old 07-03-18, 07:57 AM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was younger, I could have cared less about a little road noise. Now that I spend more time in a car, I am willing to pay for the things that differentiate an ES from an Avalon. Thicker windshields, extensive sound deadening on the interior, better carpets and leather (or synth leather), better sound systems. Even the little details like paying attention the the air flow around the side windows and better gasket designs on the doors. This stuff doesn't always jump out at you while at the dealership, or on a short test drive. You really appreciate it over time.

The biggest problem is that once accustomed to these "little" things that Lexus does well, it rules out the purchase of a lot of other decent vehicles. Even if a car looks and drives great (Accord, Camry, Mazda6, certain Infiniti's, etc), they just aren't as nice to live with on a daily basis, or long trips.
Old 07-05-18, 09:03 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 638 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by morgan1819
When I was younger, I could have cared less about a little road noise. Now that I spend more time in a car, I am willing to pay for the things that differentiate an ES from an Avalon. Thicker windshields, extensive sound deadening on the interior, better carpets and leather (or synth leather), better sound systems. Even the little details like paying attention the the air flow around the side windows and better gasket designs on the doors. This stuff doesn't always jump out at you while at the dealership, or on a short test drive. You really appreciate it over time.

The biggest problem is that once accustomed to these "little" things that Lexus does well, it rules out the purchase of a lot of other decent vehicles. Even if a car looks and drives great (Accord, Camry, Mazda6, certain Infiniti's, etc), they just aren't as nice to live with on a daily basis, or long trips.
I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Excellent post!
The following users liked this post:
morgan1819 (07-05-18)
Old 07-05-18, 10:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by morgan1819
I suspect that it is not uncommon for people, over the course of time, to see changes in their driving style/habits and in their vehicle preferences.

For me, 25 years ago, I probably would not have noticed wind and road noise, and I also enjoyed hearing a throaty growl from the engine and exhaust. Today, I don't want noise from the wind, from the road, or from the engine to enter the cabin.

Also, 25 years ago, I enjoyed having rear wheel drive cars that could handle well enough to allow me to accelerate through decreasing radius curves. Today, I have no interest at all in such a car. Instead, I want a car with a more compliant suspension and that calmly and comfortably cruises down the highway.

morgan1819 (07-05-18)
Old 07-05-18, 10:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I suspect that it is not uncommon for people, over the course of time, to see changes in their driving style/habits and in their vehicle preferences.

For me, 25 years ago, I probably would not have noticed wind and road noise, and I also enjoyed hearing a throaty growl from the engine and exhaust. Today, I don't want noise from the wind, from the road, or from the engine to enter the cabin.

Also, 25 years ago, I enjoyed having rear wheel drive cars that could handle well enough to allow me to accelerate through decreasing radius curves. Today, I have no interest at all in such a car. Instead, I want a car with a more compliant suspension and that calmly and comfortably cruises down the highway.
These are very good points for many of us as we get older. I'm probably older than most here and my preferences have evolved/changed over the years. This Is probably one BIG reason why the ES appeals to and is driven by an older demographic.
morgan1819 (07-05-18)
Old 11-21-18, 03:38 AM
pete2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before pulling a trigger, I read lot of reviews on Avalon vs. ES350, both 2016. I checked local dealer and he had them both used, Avalon was a touring model and ES was premium model. I took both for a test drive, both had a tad over 30k miles and ES was priced $2k more and I picked ...... ES. What I've noticed was how nice ES was compare to Avalon. They both have almost same mechanicals which is great, easier and cheaper to get parts in case you need them. Avalon had paddle shifter tranny and some factory special suspension which I did not like, stiffer ride for sure, dashboard and interior felt cheaper then ES's. Quality materials were/are better in ES, I love how nice and precise all doors are closing, all body panels aligned to perfection. My ES has nulux seats (leatherette vs Avalon's leather) but to tell you the truth, I love them even better then my GX470 all leather sets (not just inserts). Best part and some may not agree, ES was still made in Japan, vin starts with J as to Avalon which was made in Georgetown, KY. From my own experience, most of the stuff made in Japan is very high quality and reliable. I loved the look of Avalon (little more sporty) but overall ES was a better choice for me and I'm glad I got it, love the ride and looks. I still have 1 year/50k bumper-to-bumper and 3 years/ 72k miles powertrain original factory warranties vs 3 years/36k for Avalon.