ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Where is everyone servicing your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 02:15 PM
chi515
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is everyone servicing your ES?

I am curious to see where do everyone bring their ES for regular maintenance / service (oil / filter change, tire rotation, etc.), and why??
A) Lexus dealership
B) 3rd party national recognized service shops
C) Independent / Privately-owned auto shops
D) DIY
Thank you in advance for your respond!!
Old 06-20-18, 02:32 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

C) Independently owned private stop - they only service Japanese cars and known in the community to have good service and be honest.

Prices are consistently 30-40% lower than the dealership so this is a no brainer. At my Lexus dealership, that service B or whatever that only has an oil change and tire rotation is over $170 and this shop charges $90 for the same service.
Old 06-20-18, 02:58 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In the 15 years or so since I started driving Lexus vehicles, I've had all of my non-warranty service done at the Toyota dealer, and the prices that I have paid have been half or less what the Lexus dealer would charge for the same service. For example, at the Toyota dealer, I pay $41 (with a $10 coupon that is always available) for a full synthetic change, and the Toyota dealer uses the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer would use. Lexus dealers typically charge $100 or significantly more for the same full synthetic oil change.

A number of years ago, I had a leak in the refrigerant line on my GX. The Lexus dealer told me that the entire refrigerant line had to be replaced, and they quoted me $1800 for the repair. The Toyota dealer quoted me $800 for the same repair, but they said that the entire line did not have to be replaced. Instead, they just replaced the fitting that was the source of the leak. The repair, including recharging the AC system, cost me less than $200, and the AC system, with that repair, has performed flawlessly in the 6 years or so since the repair was done.

The service departments at Lexus dealers seem to operate on the principle that, if people are willing to pay a premium price for a Lexus vehicle, they will also be willing to pay through the nose for service.These and other similar experiences have led me to choose not to use the Lexus dealer for anything other than warranty service.
Old 06-20-18, 02:58 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

A) Lexus dealership - piece of mind.
Old 06-20-18, 03:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Are you saying a Toyota dealership wouldn't give you that same "peace of mind"? That said, I now do my own oil changes and take my ES to Discount Tire for free tire rotations. There's not really much else you can't do yourself, like filter replacements. The rest is mostly dealer profit items, so I just skip them. My wife's Honda is 8 years old and has had nothing done but what I mentioned above. Wear items, like brakes, are different, though.
Old 06-20-18, 04:35 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Ditto.

My Lexus dealer will even give me a loaner for an oil change. Take it in the morning, go to work, come back after work and pick it up. Perhaps overkill, and a little more expensive, but nice (and peace of mind.)
Old 06-20-18, 04:43 PM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only my Lexus dealership where I purchased the car...in large part because I have a personal friend who is my service advisor.
Old 06-20-18, 04:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Are you saying a Toyota dealership wouldn't give you that same "peace of mind"? That said, I now do my own oil changes and take my ES to Discount Tire for free tire rotations. There's not really much else you can't do yourself, like filter replacements. The rest is mostly dealer profit items, so I just skip them. My wife's Honda is 8 years old and has had nothing done but what I mentioned above. Wear items, like brakes, are different, though.
I'm not sure that I even know what "peace of mind" means, but I know that that is what the salesperson at Best Buy tells me that I will have if I buy a $350 service contract for an $800 TV.

For me, my peace of mind comes from knowing that, if I get my service done at the Toyota dealer, I will still have, in my pocket, over half of the money that I would have spent for the same service at the Lexus dealer and, also, knowing that the Toyota service advisor isn't going to try to sell me a long list of services that the car doesn't need.
Old 06-20-18, 05:21 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

I'm with you Mike. Oil changes by BC about $40.00. Tire rotation by Walmart $10.00. Filters take less than 15 minutes and bought at Walmart. Wife's Honda needs nothing but regular maintenance which I also do in the driveway. I would never use the dealer except while under warranty or recall. I have perfect peace of mind knowing I've done it correctly.
Old 06-20-18, 05:31 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm not sure that I even know what "peace of mind" means, but I know that that is what the salesperson at Best Buy tells me that I will have if I buy a $350 service contract for an $800 TV.

For me, my peace of mind comes from knowing that, if I get my service done at the Toyota dealer, I will still have, in my pocket, over half of the money that I would have spent for the same service at the Lexus dealer and, also, knowing that the Toyota service advisor isn't going to try to sell me a long list of services that the car doesn't need.
Love the Best Buy line Les. This is the line they give you at the dealer when trying to sell you an extended warranty...
Old 06-20-18, 05:52 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I am at the stage of life where , no, I will not be doing my own oil changes and driveway maintenance. Convenience is worth a lot to me, and I am not a young person trying to save a buck any time I can.
Old 06-20-18, 06:13 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
...This is the line they give you at the dealer when trying to sell you an extended warranty...
Have to chime in on the warranty thing. For the first time in as long as I can remember, the warranty (8yr 100k mi) I purchased for my wife's CR-V paid off! Her A/C went out. The repair would have been ~$1.5k, so a little more than the cost of the warranty. I probably would have invested that money shorting Google stock, so I'm WAY ahead!
Old 06-20-18, 07:29 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

do you think that all mechanics are equal?
in our neck of the woods the Toyo dealers have "special" mechanics and all they are qualified to do is oil changes. If a different service question arises during an oil change they have a "real" mechanic look at the car.
These oil change mechanics don't have to be Toyota or Ase certified and also can work at Walmart changing oil
no such practice at the Lexus dealership, hence the $150 vs $50 for the oil change
#safe harbor statement# all examples above are complete fiction and do not apply to any specific dealership or city in the USA
Old 06-21-18, 02:27 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

well for normal things like oil changes I now go to a Toyota dealer.. for tire rotations I go to the shop where I bought the tires since they do free rotations...anything mechanical ( and this hasn'thappened yet ) I have a very good friend who owns his own body shop.. they've been in business for about 30 years and he also has a mechanic on duty, so things like brakes will probably get done there... Used to take it to Lexus for every thing until my warranty was up... not to mention I had one service writer ask me when I took my car in for an oil change if I wanted the rear differential service as well.. an extra 90 bucks I believe... which isn't unreasonable.....except front wheel drive cars dont have rear differentials... oh and lets not forget the time the service writer at the dealership told me that "he had heard" if you use an after market battery in a lexus, it will only last about 6 months.. well In january I put in a new interstate so I guess it's going to go belly up on me in about a week or so... hahaha... have you ever heard such a crock of, well you know, nonsense. Stuff like that will keep me away from the dealership...

Roland
Old 06-21-18, 02:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

The Toyota dealership. The only thing I have done is every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation and every 30,000 miles brake fluid changed. I change the air and cabin air filters bought on line and takes five minutes for both. I take my Mobil 1 and filter bought on line and they charge me $25 for labor. All service work is recorded under my vehicle on drivers.lexus.com.

Quick Reply: Where is everyone servicing your ES?