ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission Service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 02:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

What puzzles me after reading all of these posts that seem endless, is why would a major company such as Toyota make such claims if they weren't true? Their reputation depends on quality, honesty, endurance and trust with their millions of customers. Many milestones have been achieved through the years that people thought never could be. Crossing the Atlantic
non-stop. A cure for Polio. And on and on. Granted these examples are certainly above the level of transmission fluid endurance but examples nonetheless.Who thought there would be a phone that would tansmit photos and data 25 years ago or that one would be able to receive phone calls in your car (with air conditioning). Music CD's, Bluetooth, etc. I'm obviously a believer and will adhere to the maintenance schedule as directed by the Toyota Company.
Old 06-10-18, 04:03 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
What puzzles me after reading all of these posts that seem endless, is why would a major company such as Toyota make such claims if they weren't true? Their reputation depends on quality, honesty, endurance and trust with their millions of customers. Many milestones have been achieved through the years that people thought never could be. Crossing the Atlantic
non-stop. A cure for Polio. And on and on. Granted these examples are certainly above the level of transmission fluid endurance but examples nonetheless.Who thought there would be a phone that would tansmit photos and data 25 years ago or that one would be able to receive phone calls in your car (with air conditioning). Music CD's, Bluetooth, etc. I'm obviously a believer and will adhere to the maintenance schedule as directed by the Toyota Company.
Agree, well said.
Old 06-10-18, 08:57 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Never heard of a phone failing? Crossing the Atlantic non stop? - How many plane crashes have there been?

quality, honesty, endurance, trust?

you’ve forgotten the floormat problem that killed people which Toyota knew about for 2 years before they issued the recall.

Old 06-11-18, 02:45 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I don’t know if anyone here owns a truck or owns one of those old rear wheel drive cars with a live axle and a differential in the middle. Those differentials almost never needed an oil change unless the seals went bad and the oil leaked out. The ESh transmission is similar to those old differentials. There are no clutches, no friction surfaces so the only wear is the metal gear contact points. Gears are designed so the surfaces mostly roll onto each other rather than slide. That reduces friction losses and increases mileage per gallon and also reduces wear. Any metal particles still generated by wear (and this should be very few) are captured by a filter and magnet. The synthetic oils now used are much more robust than oils of the past and since no water, acid or waste is generated, like in engines, the oils last for a lifetime, whatever that means. Honda transmissions have a clutch, even that of the Accord hybrid so there is friction and wear. This would generate more particles and the fluid would need to be likely replaced at greater frequency.
Old 06-11-18, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800

Never heard of a phone failing? Crossing the Atlantic non stop? - How many plane crashes have there been?

you’ve forgotten the floormat problem that killed people which Toyota knew about for 2 years before they issued the recall.

While unfortunately some people were killed (I don't recall how many exactly) it was never determined why effected drivers didn't put their cars in neutral, plus the fact that tests showed full braking will override full throttle and will stop a car. This also could have avoided fatal crashes.
Old 06-11-18, 03:40 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

All that I'm saying is that at the time these wondrous feats took place, people couldn't believe that it was possible. Just like some people on this forum don't believe that permanent ATF is possible. And as far as the floor mat issue, my belief is that probably 75% of it was pure BS. Put the car in neutral - problem solved. Turn off the ignition - problem over...
Like the Audi unintended acceleration years before that was shown to be 100% BS.
Old 06-12-18, 06:44 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

That's quite a straw man argument.

Phones failing, Atlantic crossings and plane crashes. All very relevant (not) to a discussion about ATF fluid and the need to change or not change. Believe what you want and if conspiracy theories are your thing, go for it and change your fluid every 6 months. Failing that give empirical evidence that Lexus/Toyota is incorrect in their assertion that fluid is good for the lifetime of the car.

If their processes show one failure per million cars, would you still be unhappy with that statistic? How about one in 5 million?

I am outta here.
Old 06-12-18, 10:34 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
That's quite a straw man argument.

I was responding to the previous “straw man” argument.

Phones failing, Atlantic crossings and plane crashes. All very relevant (not) to a discussion about ATF fluid and the need to change or not change.

Someone else raised them as “arguments”.

Failing that give empirical evidence that Lexus/Toyota is incorrect in their assertion that fluid is good for the lifetime of the car.

Toyota made the assertion that it’s good for the lifetime of the car, I didn’t say it’s not.

If their processes show one failure per million cars, would you still be unhappy with that statistic? How about one in 5 million?

wheres the data to back this up, or is this just a hypothetical argument?

I am outta here.
I simply asked how does the trans fluid last forever and not degrade, I’m looking for facts.
Old 06-14-18, 07:13 AM
LEXUSASM98
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a Lexus ASM for 23 years, maybe i've replaced 5 transmissions in older cars. We do NOT see alot of transmission problems so I wonder where you
heard that "so many of them need repair or replace"?
Old 06-14-18, 07:17 AM
LEXUSASM98
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heidihidin
i know i will get attacked for this post
but
the lexus engineers are smart to engineer the transmission and fluid to last the 70000 miles of the powertrain warranty
after that the lexus dealership service departments, part counters and new car sales need to make money and stay in business
if lexus transmissions are lifetime how come they have so many of them to repair and replace?
Who or where did you hear this? I am a Lexus ASM for over 23 years and our cars definatley do NOT have transmission problems. I maybe do 1 every year or longer.
Old 06-14-18, 11:38 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's the bottom line folks: Lexus and Toyota have a reputation for very reliable transmissions and the failure rate is very low, combined with the fact that most customers just listen to the dealership and manual and DO NOT change the fluid. The vast majority of drivers do not visit messageboards and fret about changing fluids and what brand, when to change air filters and what brand to use and whether it has baking soda on it, etc etc
Old 06-14-18, 02:12 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting how Camry/Avalon/Highlander owners (based on what I read at toyotnation.com) are much more willing to change the transmission fluid than ES/RX350 owners even though all these vehicles use the same Aisin CVT, 6 and 8 speed transmissions. One would think Lexus owners should be more educated - especially in regards to science / business / marketing issues - hence should be more capable of understanding that modern CVT, 6 and 8 speed transmissions need fluid changes more that Toyota's of the past did because they are built more lighter duty, are lubed by a thinner viscosity fluid, operate at higher fluid temperatures and generate more wear debris such that Toyota was forced to install more wear debris trapping magnets in the oil pan and use an extra large, extra efficient felt transmission filter element instead of a smaller metal filter screen as was routine in the past.

But, no, many Lexus owners cannot grasp the above. Instead they are captivated by the thought that the "Lexus engineers" probably overbuilt the transmissions and made them able to survive many hundreds of thouands of miles without needing periodic fluid changes. "Lexus", to them, means something extra special and extra premium, even in regards to the drivetrain components of the vehicles.
Old 06-14-18, 07:34 PM
Mide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although not exactly the same as the CT200h, but I had a 3rd gen Prius which had, from what I understand the same engine and CVT tranny. I changed the fluid at 60K myself. When I compared the replacement red specialized fluid with what came out, there was a distinct color variation. Not sure if this was regular wear/tear or if Lexus engineers put some additional additive in the tranny fluid. I sold that car a few years ago at 100k+ and it still never had a transmission issue. I'd like to think of it as preventative maintenance although I have no idea what would've happened if I hadn't had changed it.
Old 06-14-18, 08:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Im not sure where there can be any justification that years old Transmission fluid , many miles used, is better than new Transmission fluid?
Old 06-15-18, 03:19 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Interesting how Camry/Avalon/Highlander owners (based on what I read at toyotnation.com) are much more willing to change the transmission fluid than ES/RX350 owners even though all these vehicles use the same Aisin CVT, 6 and 8 speed transmissions. One would think Lexus owners should be more educated - especially in regards to science / business / marketing issues - hence should be more capable of understanding that modern CVT, 6 and 8 speed transmissions need fluid changes more that Toyota's of the past did because they are built more lighter duty, are lubed by a thinner viscosity fluid, operate at higher fluid temperatures and generate more wear debris such that Toyota was forced to install more wear debris trapping magnets in the oil pan and use an extra large, extra efficient felt transmission filter element instead of a smaller metal filter screen as was routine in the past.

But, no, many Lexus owners cannot grasp the above. Instead they are captivated by the thought that the "Lexus engineers" probably overbuilt the transmissions and made them able to survive many hundreds of thouands of miles without needing periodic fluid changes. "Lexus", to them, means something extra special and extra premium, even in regards to the drivetrain components of the vehicles.
Wow you know more about Lexus's than my local Lexus Service Manager who works on them all day for over 30 years and been trained by Lexus. Please share with all your resume detailing your training on transmissions and even more Lexus transmissions. Remember you are the one that stated "One would think Lexus owners should be more educated" so waiting for your credentials.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-26-18 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Service?