ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission Service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 06:39 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

This subject comes up regularly on most car forums and the results are typically the same, some do - some don't - some might.
My belief is that no lubricant is good forever and ultimately needs to be replaced, so I do, sometimes...
Auto makers want to get their cars out of warranty coverage as directly as possible, so they're are not going permit their dealers to risk things by futzing with the transmission while the car is still covered. Likewise, the delers don't want the business of doing transmission work in their shop, so they will likely decline the requests to do it, regardless.
That's for non-dealer garages.
To me it depends on what my plans are for a car. Is it something special that I intend to keep long-term. If so, then I will have it done between 60K and 100K. But only if I think I'll be holding on to the car well into the 100Ks. If not, then I don't.
Realistically, I don't expect to keep my ES that long, so I probably won't.
My Jaguars, on the other hand, have always had that work done.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 06-06-18, 08:13 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

is there a chance a lexus dealer will fudge this up because they almost never do it?
i understand that they are familiar with the car and instructions but still

also what would be a hypothetical scenario where the fluid service causes an issue with a transmission if the car is out of warranty?
Old 06-07-18, 07:57 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>also what would be a hypothetical scenario where the fluid service causes an issue with a transmission
That doesn't matter, the basic fact is that new car dealers just don't want to do that sort of work, period. So they will refuse the job when someone asks them to do it.
Old 06-07-18, 07:20 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok, my last comment. (Maybe)

if toyota has trans fluid that lasts forever, why doesn’t everyone use it?

Still haven't seen a logical explanation from toyota as to why it “never” needs to be changed.
Old 06-08-18, 04:05 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I am guessing we will never get that explanation from Toyota. Somebody here in CL gave what I think is the best explanation: forever means until the warranty expires.
Whenever/if Toyota comes up with a new tranny fluid, WS will go the same route as Type IV. Remember when Type IV was a "forever" fluid, unless you drove under 'special' conditions?
MD
Old 06-08-18, 06:05 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>Still haven't seen a logical explanation from toyota as to why it “never” needs to be changed.
Well, by not being mixed with engine oil it has a very limited opportunity to become "dirty". It's in a well closed system with filters to remove wear particles from the transmission itself. Lubricants are also much, much, improved so their lifetimes in such a closed system are getting pretty long.
However, the fact remains that the long molecule chains will begin to break down over time leading to a progressive loss in lubrication ability. But that probably won't happen while the average person owns a car. So manufacturers tell "average" users to not bother changing, they just phrase it as "it never needs to be done".

But, again, if I plan to own a car over 100K miles, I'll have it changed at around that point. It always seemed like cheap insurance to me...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 06-08-18, 06:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>Lubricants are also much, much, improved so their lifetimes in such a closed system are getting pretty long.
However, the fact remains that the long molecule chains will begin to break down over time leading to a progressive loss in lubrication ability. But that probably won't happen while the average person owns a car. So manufacturers tell "average" users to not bother changing, they just phrase it as "it never needs to be done".
Besides the fact that lubricants are much improved, another factor is that production tolerances have become much tighter than they once were. With tighter production tolerances, there is less friction and, thus, less wear in transmission and engine parts. That is also why 3000 mile recommended engine oil change intervals are a thing of the past.

Additionally, I believe that part of the theory for not recommending transmission fluid changes is that the process of changing the transmission fluid, by itself, has the potential to introduce contaminants to the system.
Old 06-08-18, 09:28 AM
st1800
Advanced

“Well, by not being mixed with engine oil”

not following this, please explain.

Thx.
Old 06-08-18, 10:25 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>“Well, by not being mixed with engine oil”

not following this, please explain.

Well, in the olde days (perhaps only for standard transmissions) the engine and transmission were directly connected (still is on my motorcycle) so the tranny was exposed to contaminants generated by the engine. A very unfriendly environment as you would expect.
I just said that to emphasize that a transmission is a closed system not subject to contaminants generated outside.
Old 06-08-18, 10:54 AM
st1800
Advanced

Ok, thx for the explanation.

Just to be clear though, my 90’s Ford, Chevy and Chrysler’s were all closed systems, but that didn’t stop the ATF from going dark, and needing replacement before 100,000 kms.

I’d love to hear from these “smart” Japanese engineers as to why Lexus/Toyota are immune from ATF degradation.

Maybe a Toyota employee here on the forum can find an answer.
Old 06-09-18, 01:25 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>also what would be a hypothetical scenario where the fluid service causes an issue with a transmission
That doesn't matter, the basic fact is that new car dealers just don't want to do that sort of work, period. So they will refuse the job when someone asks them to do it.
my local lexus dealer doesn't mind changing my atf but i'm not sure i should?
Old 06-09-18, 05:23 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800
Ok, my last comment. (Maybe)

if toyota has trans fluid that lasts forever, why doesn’t everyone use it?

Still haven't seen a logical explanation from toyota as to why it “never” needs to be changed.
Why would Toyota licence their proprietary technology to someone else?
Old 06-09-18, 05:24 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by st1800
Ok, thx for the explanation.

Just to be clear though, my 90’s Ford, Chevy and Chrysler’s were all closed systems, but that didn’t stop the ATF from going dark, and needing replacement before 100,000 kms.

I’d love to hear from these “smart” Japanese engineers as to why Lexus/Toyota are immune from ATF degradation.

Maybe a Toyota employee here on the forum can find an answer.

You cannot compare a 90's domestic car to modern cars 20 to 25 years later.
Old 06-10-18, 01:37 PM
st1800
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Why would Toyota licence their proprietary technology to someone else?
ok, let me pursue this a little further. If Toyota fluid was different/better than all the others wouldn’t be to hard for someone to analyze it and duplicate it. Point being, we have seen nothing that explains why the fluid supposedly lasts forever, never degrades and never needs changing.
Old 06-10-18, 01:42 PM
st1800
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
You cannot compare a 90's domestic car to modern cars 20 to 25 years later.
i already did.

Explain to us please, why “new“ cars never need ATF changed. In other words why does the ATF in new cars stay new forever?

Quick Reply: Transmission Service?