ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tires for a smoothy

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 06:45 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>a tire tread gauge
Just stick a penny head-down into the tread. If you can see the top of Ab's head, you need new tires...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 05-09-18, 07:46 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If you really need new tires and are turning your car in at the end of your lease I would go with the least expensive tire. If you are seriously considering buying the car at lease end then I would go with either the Pirellis or the Michelins. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-18, 10:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>a tire tread gauge
Just stick a penny head-down into the tread. If you can see the top of Ab's head, you need new tires...
There is no question that using a penny as a gauge can tell you whether you have enough tread left to meet the 2/32" legal minimum, but it can't help to tell you whether you have the 4/32-5/32' of tread that are needed to feel safe on wet or otherwise slick pavement. For a few dollars, it makes sense to get a proper gauge and to have the right tool for the job.
Old 05-09-18, 12:15 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
Hi Poppa and Freds. I don't mind the large font. Are there different sizes? Cause everyone says like 17 inch is better than 18 or 19.

A lot of people have mentioned those Pirelli

I wish I could try them out before committing, but it's probably not possible.

Do you guys get your tires put on by your Lexus dealer, or just some tire company. I was thinking about Jack Williams Tire, here in NE Penn.

I guess the 'Tire Rack' is based on an overall rating? I literally only care about a smooth ride. I'm in an area with a huge pothole, rough road issue.

John L
John, I've been a long-time Michelin fan, but recently bought a new set of the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires for my 2010 LS600hL. I've been happy with the smoothness and quietness of the ride so far. Note that if you have a Discount Tire around you, they do have a really good return policy within the first 30 days if the tires aren't meeting your expectations. That might be a way to try them out.

Recently on the LS forum, a member reported that he was having some minor flat-spotting of the Pirelli tires when he left the car sit idle for a few days. The flat-spotting works itself out in the first mile or two, and many tires are known for this problem. I'm not having any issues with flat-spotting on my P7s. Good luck!
Old 05-10-18, 06:33 AM
pab12
Intermediate

> it can't help to tell you whether you have the 4/32-5/32' of tread that are needed to feel safe on wet or otherwise slick pavement.
Yup, agreed. It's more of check to do before taking the car in for its annual inspection.
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 05-10-18, 06:41 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ummm, where would I get this tire gauge ? The stuff is new to me, I always trusted the dealer. But everyone is telling me it's ridiculous to have to replace

these tires after just 21000 miles. They certainly don't look like they're bald, or anything near to it. I can see grooves in it, so.......

John Lexus
Old 05-10-18, 10:39 AM
pab12
Intermediate

What you really want to do is check the wear bars. A tire is "officially" worn out when the wear bar is at the same level as the remaining tread.
Look around the tread of the tire, every foot or so you will see a raised line running across the groove of the tread. Those are the wear bars and the define when a tire is "worn out".
As the tire wears the depth of the groove above the wear bar gets smaller and smaller and ...
Old 05-10-18, 10:48 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I didn't know about that.
Old 05-10-18, 11:34 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

ummm, where would I get this tire gauge ?

John Lexus
You can get a tread gauge at any auto parts store for $5-10. You can also get them on Amazon and many other internet sources.

Originally Posted by pab12
What you really want to do is check the wear bars. A tire is "officially" worn out when the wear bar is at the same level as the remaining tread.
Look around the tread of the tire, every foot or so you will see a raised line running across the groove of the tread. Those are the wear bars and the define when a tire is "worn out".
As the tire wears the depth of the groove above the wear bar gets smaller and smaller and ...
The wear bars are typically set at 2/32". So, when the tire is down to the wear bar, the remaining tread is at its legal minimum. Again, though, I would be inclined to replace tires well before they get to 2/32", and that is especially true if winter driving conditions are approaching.
Old 05-10-18, 05:54 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

ummm, where would I get this tire gauge ? The stuff is new to me, I always trusted the dealer. But everyone is telling me it's ridiculous to have to replace

these tires after just 21000 miles. They certainly don't look like they're bald, or anything near to it. I can see grooves in it, so.......

John Lexus
After reading this thread, I went and bought one today for 5 dollars. I live in Canada so telling you where I bought it would not assist, but for any Canadians they are 4.99 at Canadian Tire stores. Handy device--I tried the coin thing, but it's not really that great a way to measure. The tire guage I bought gives accurate readings in 32 of an inch and in mm.

As others stated, I am sure any auto parts store sells them
Old 05-11-18, 06:13 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>Canadian Tire stores
Ya, down here we used to have something similar - Sears Auto
Don't seem to be many around any more...

Who remembers Montgomery Ward Auto service?
Old 05-11-18, 08:21 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is mongomery ward even around still? I live in Toronto, but used to go there when visiting Chicago before they closed there...
Old 05-11-18, 09:44 AM
pab12
Intermediate

>Is mongomery ward even around still?
"Montgomery Ward was liquidated by the end of May 2001, ending a 130-year enterprise."
Old 05-12-18, 06:36 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Are you sure you really need new tires just because the dealer said so?

A quality set of tires should last way longer than 21k miles.

If you only got that out of them, you might want to see if Michelin has some sort of warranty and can prorate them for you. The Primacy's have a 55k mile warranty, but not sure if that applies to ones that came new on a car.
I used to live in the midwest and would get quite long tread-life on my tires (~45k) on the concrete and asphalt roads. I moved to SW FL a few years back and my tires now wear really fast. In our area, they grind up sea shells and use it in the asphalt mix as a filler. These shell pieces are like sharp knives and love to eat rubber. I get around 20-25k on a set of quality brand name tires down here. I also only get about a year out of my running shoes for the same reason.

While tread depth is important in the midwest as snow makes for difficult driving, but here in SW FL, in the summer we get torrential rain showers that often leave many roadway sections covered with a couple inches of water. I start looking for new tires when the remaining tread depth drops to 4/32nds to avoid hydroplaning and keep my stopping distance short. Compared to the cost of an accident and possible injury, good tires are a cheap and sound investment, IMO.

Since I was in need of new tires again on my RX350 I just traded it in for a now ES yesterday. I wanted to wait for the new 2019 model but they were offering $2,500 in rebates so I jumped in.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-12-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-17-18, 09:33 AM
busychild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased 4 Cooper tires for my '13 ES350. I went with the CS5? Ultra Touring. Less than $500 out the door , with warranty.

I have the stock, optional 18s. 225/45 . Stock suspension with the two front struts replaced right before the wheels. Alignment done at the same time. Chassis has 90K miles; I have had the car since 72k . I am located in Frisco, TX.

I love the ride. About 1000 miles thus far and they are very quiet. I drive 80% highway andall across the DFW metroplex. I see ALL kinds of roadways. I have been very happy with the quality and soft feel.

Last edited by busychild; 05-17-18 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added specifics.

Quick Reply: Tires for a smoothy