ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Luxury / Ultra Luxury owners.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 03:23 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Back when I bought mine, you needed the UL to get the pano roof. That was a must have for me. The seat extender with the semi-aniline was also a must have. I'm not sure what else is exclusive to the UL, but there's not one option I can think of that's not appreciated.
Old 04-24-18, 04:21 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Back when I bought mine, you needed the UL to get the pano roof. That was a must have for me. The seat extender with the semi-aniline was also a must have. I'm not sure what else is exclusive to the UL, but there's not one option I can think of that's not appreciated.
UL on the 2013-2015 came with those above three things plus the ambient lighting. Those were the four additions of the UL from Lux. I have a 2014 ES/UL also. I wanted better leather, pano roof, and ML mostly. However, overall, my thoughts are similar to jollick's--I wanted as much as I could get (UL + all options + a few accessories) so I would not have buyer's remorse...and I plan to keep mine for a long time also (paid off now). It's been four years now and I figure the Gen 7 (starting 2019) will last about six years, so I'll consider a new ES with "Gen 8" when my ES is 10-12 years old. After four years, I'm still enjoying the car very much...no regrets at all.

Maybe then they'll have flying cars...LOL!
Old 04-24-18, 06:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

In 13 and 14 weren't the Double Pane Windows a UL Only feature in the ES350?
Old 04-25-18, 04:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
In 13 and 14 weren't the Double Pane Windows a UL Only feature in the ES350?
I think it was hit-or-miss. I have them on my '13, though. I'm not sure if they're even available anymore.
Old 04-25-18, 07:46 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it was hit-or-miss. I have them on my '13, though. I'm not sure if they're even available anymore.
My ‘18 has double pane windows.
Old 04-25-18, 11:38 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

newyerker - the ventilated seats pick up (relatively) cooler floor air and percolate it up to you.
Automatic HVAC normally directs warm air only to the floor and cold air to only the dash vents.
Try using the HVAC "Mode" button when cooling in the summer to direct cooled air
to both the vents and the floor. Now the cooled air will be available for the seats to
pickup.
Old 04-25-18, 12:09 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
newyerker - the ventilated seats pick up (relatively) cooler floor air and percolate it up to you.
Automatic HVAC normally directs warm air only to the floor and cold air to only the dash vents.
Try using the HVAC "Mode" button when cooling in the summer to direct cooled air
to both the vents and the floor. Now the cooled air will be available for the seats to
pickup.
hey ill try that! thx
Old 04-25-18, 01:27 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by newyerker
unrelated to your post since i dont have a luxury let alone ultra but the only thing i looked for was the ventilated seats lol.
heck, thats actually one of the main reason why i started shopping for the ES in the first place.
it was the only nice vehicle that had the vent seat option that didnt cost an arm and a leg.

that caused me to have major buyers remorse. 1 - ventilated seats barely did anything. 2 - it is missing way too many things that makes vent seats unimportant, damn it.

but actually, not really. just like everyone says, mainly thinking to myself - could have got that, done that kinda thing.
Originally Posted by mcomer
pickup.
My early impressions are that the ventilated seats also barely do anything. I can hear them, but can't feel much.

I do usually keep the setting where the air direction mode is only at the head, though.

I guess I'll try the mode where it points at the head and the floor.

I usually don't like that setting in most cars, because then there's not enough air at the top of the body, which is where I prefer it.
Old 04-25-18, 06:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OBLexus

My ‘18 has double pane windows.
Is it a UL?
Old 04-25-18, 06:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

And is yours a UL?
Old 04-25-18, 09:29 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it a UL?
Well, if you check my introduction thread you will see that I live in the UAE. Over here, there is no such a thing as UL etc. They are called Premier, Prestige and Platinum. I have the so-called Prestige, which has all the features of the UL, the only exception is the ML sound system. In fact, my car is imported from Oman and even that neighboring country has slightly different specs from the UAE.
Old 04-25-18, 09:44 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I bought my UL specifically for one reason--semi-aniline leather.

What I have found in 15k miles in 6 months is that the thigh extender is literally a life-saver for my back. Holy Moly I haven't had one since I had a 2004 BMW 330ci ZHP, but I didn't have a bad back then. Since I drive about 30k miles per year this thing is now added to my "Must have in next car" list.

I really like the radar cruise control, after waiting a few months to even try it out (lol), and the auto high-beams are awesome for all the night driving I do on the freeway.

First ES.....had an IS with Luxury Package/semi-aniline leather for 7 years and 170,000 glorious miles so I will probably keep the ES for the same amount of time.

The interior of the 2019 ES looks very plain and Toyota-like to me in the pics I saw....
Old 04-26-18, 04:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

And is yours a UL?
Yes, I don't think it was ever available on any other package in the US.
Old 04-26-18, 10:49 AM
jamestpc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Those that look at the rear sunshade with disdain, I use it all summer to block the sun from coming in thru the rear window. It keeps the car cooler and stops the leather seats from baking.
That's a very good point. I will start using regularly

(most times its just me in car anyhow)
Old 04-27-18, 08:01 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Referring only to US market ES Ultras, we have been including a couple of features in this thread that
are now standard such as the Dynamic Braking and Lane Departure (Lexus Safety System) or stand
alone options such as the Blind Spot Monitor/Rear Cross Traffic Alert and the rear window power shade.
Great features worthy of our discussion but did not want UL intenders reading here to assume they must
find and pay for the UL level to get those items.

Features exclusively available only within the "UL" Ultra Luxury package are:
- contents of Luxury Package
- Perforated semi-aniline leather seats
- Driver's seat cushion extender
- Ambient interior lighting
Next features were formerly only part of UL but is now available (and becoming pretty common)
- Panorama glass roof (N/A Hybrid)
- "18 high gloss wheels (N/A Hybrid)
The following users liked this post:
nuraman00 (04-29-18)

Quick Reply: Luxury / Ultra Luxury owners.