ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018-247/)
-   -   The Blue Bomber is Dead (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/882322-the-blue-bomber-is-dead.html)

Ratchey 03-02-18 10:02 PM

The Blue Bomber is Dead

8 Attachment(s)
Making a right hand turn at a stop light, I hit a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee(also making a right hand turn) in the driver rear corner doing about 7 mph. She had to slam on her brakes as a truck coming through in the center lane switched lanes in the middle of the intersection and almost hit her. I thought she had gone and didn't check while looking left.
After going back and forth with Lexus, the insurance decided to total the car.
Physical damage was $10,000. The tipping point was the main wiring harness that got pinched.
Lexus said it shouldn't be repaired since it is a Can-Bus system and the wires were to the front sensors. To replace the harness, $5500.
Total damage $15,555. Only 1.5 years old. Time to start car shopping again.

chromedome 03-03-18 01:35 AM

Ouch. That's minimal damage to the Jeep and a world of hurt for your car. The most important thing is that you're safe and well, cars are always replaceable.

Going for another ES?

Poppa 03-03-18 02:40 AM

Ratchey... man, I am sorry to hear about your car.. what a shame... but as chromedome said, it's just a car and it can be replaced. Just be thankful no one was injured. Happy car shopping.

Roland

Mike728 03-03-18 05:36 AM

Glad no one was hurt.

I'm somewhat surprised they're totaling it for that amount of damage, though. How many miles did you have on it?

lesz 03-03-18 05:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Considering how much your 1 1/2 year old ES would be worth, I'm surprised to see that the insurance company decided to total the car with a $15,555 repair estimate. In most states, the threshold for totaling a car is around 75% of its value (65% in Nevada), and $15,555 doesn't come close to reaching that threshold. The insurance company's decision to total the car had to be influenced by the potential salvage value of parts from the car. I'm guessing that the insurance company was also figuring that it was likely that the final repair bill would have actually exceeded the $15,555 estimate by a good amount.

In the last year or so, there have been a number of threads on the various Club Lexus boards about front end collision damage that would have required between $10,000 and $30,000 worth of repairs. With all of the electronics in the front portion of vehicles, repair costs to that part of the car can add up very quickly, and I'm sure that is a major reason why insurance premiums are as high as they are.

Even if it made economic sense to repair your car, my guess is that you would never feel good about driving it again. So, it is good news for you that the insurance company decided to total the car.

Good luck in dealing with the insurance company and with replacing the car.

jollick 03-03-18 11:45 AM

Sorry for your accident. Glad you are ok.

Dave Mac 03-03-18 11:55 AM

I'm surprised but think you are very lucky that they totaled your car. That isn't great damage but replacing the wiring harness etc. may have lead to many years of problems which may or may not have been covered by your warranty.

Enjoy shopping for a new Lexus.

Dave Mac

bc6152 03-03-18 11:59 AM

I'll repeat what all of the others stated, that we're glad that you're OK, the car is totaled, you'll be getting a new one soon, and the only negative is your insurance is going up...

GOOD LUCK!

Ratchey 03-03-18 12:54 PM

Thanks everyone. Not sure if I will get another ES or not. So far it's the only comfortable car I can find.
Because Nevada is 65% and the salvage amount was $21K the total was $600 over ACV. I probably could have fought them to fix it, but not really sure it would be worth it.
They gave me $6k more than I would have gotten on trade in so there is that. Car had 20k miles on it.

signdetres 03-03-18 07:53 PM

Curious to know if Pre-Collision System made any attempt to intervene? You mentioned going ~7mph or so which may not be high enough for it to activate (can't remember what speed is required) but was wondering as I noticed the front camera in the pics.

Not sure how you feel about getting a new car or not but seeing they gave you more than it was worth @ trade, being totaled seems like a blessing in disguise IMO. Now you won't have to deal with any repair shops and the hassles that tend to come along with them and you also won't have to drive around in a repaired vehicle. Best of luck in your hunt for a replacement vehicle! Echoing what others said, cars can be replaced! :)

jgscott 03-03-18 08:44 PM

If it was me, I would let it go and take the totaled claim. 6k is good. Good Luck and always most important that no one was injured.

Maikerusan 03-04-18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by signdetres (Post 10131596)
Curious to know if Pre-Collision System made any attempt to intervene? You mentioned going ~7mph or so which may not be high enough for it to activate (can't remember what speed is required) but was wondering as I noticed the front camera in the pics.

I find it hard to believe that damage was caused by 7mph speed. 20 to 30 maybe?

DanZ 03-04-18 12:02 PM

Sorry to read this. Glad you are ok.

Ratchey 03-04-18 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by signdetres (Post 10131596)

There was no alert on the dash so I think I may have been too close or just not going fast enough for it to engage. There was a notification right after impact telling me there had been a collision and to visit the Lexus Dealer.

Originally Posted by Maikerusan (Post 10132022)
I find it hard to believe that damage was caused by 7mph speed. 20 to 30 maybe?

If you take right turns at red lights at 20 - 30 mph then you are lucky to still be alive ;)

I was looking left so never even saw her stop. Completely my fault.

jollick 03-04-18 02:13 PM

Ouch! That hurt to see.