Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

following this one
Old 07-17-19, 08:37 PM
Turbofrank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover

I need an outdoor car cover bought one from Pepboys (Tybond) does not fit bumper to bumper
Old 07-18-19, 06:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbofrank
I need an outdoor car cover bought one from Pepboys (Tybond) does not fit bumper to bumper

If you want a car cover that actually fits your car and offers a level of protection, you must spend a fair amount of money and buy from a company that makes them.

I've owned four covers for various cars. The question is will the car be outside all the time? Will the car be kept inside a garage? In a garage and outside some of the time? There are many choices and I have used California Car Covers for all my cars. Two Corvettes, a 1931 Ford, and a Hyundai turbo Veloster. All covers fit perfectly, most come with a locking cable. The most versatile is the "Noah" brand which is good for inside and outside. Check with Covercraft covers as well... My advice is not to cheap out buying a cover for your car.
Old 07-18-19, 07:10 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for California Car Covers. Fits my FD perfectly.
Old 07-18-19, 07:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you do decide to use a car cover, it is important that you keep your car clean and that you don't put the cover on the car with when there is dust/dirt on the car. If there is dust/dirt on the car, as the car cover moves slightly over the car's paint, that dust/dirt can act like sandpaper and put fine scratches into the finish. With the deep shine of modern car finishes, those fine scratches will show up more than they would have on cars from even ten or 20 years ago.

You can minimize the chances of getting those fine scratches by making sure that the car is clean before using the cover and by using a high quality cover.
Old 07-18-19, 07:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If you do decide to use a car cover, it is important that you keep your car clean and that you don't put the cover on the car with when there is dust/dirt on the car. If there is dust/dirt on the car, as the car cover moves slightly over the car's paint, that dust/dirt can act like sandpaper and put fine scratches into the finish. With the deep shine of modern car finishes, those fine scratches will show up more than they would have on cars from even ten or 20 years ago.

You can minimize the chances of getting those fine scratches by making sure that the car is clean before using the cover and by using a high quality cover.
Good advice from Les, a clean car and a quality cover. I even use mine when the car is inside the garage. Eliminates scratches and scuffs from people brushing up against it, taking out the trash, and moving things around.
Old 07-18-19, 08:43 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a question. What does one do with the covers when they are not in use? Reason I am asking is that we had covers for patio furniture (large table and chairs) for the winter and after 4 months of rain and snow those covers had mildew on them and they were gross. Folding the large table cover was awkward and there was no place to put it without it gathering dust and in the garage the spiders liked to make homes in the folds. I got so fed up that I threw all the covers away.

Car covers would be even larger and more awkward than patio table covers. How do you manage them when you do not need them?

Thanks..
Old 07-19-19, 07:20 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

California Car Cover comes with a storage bag to place the cover in. I will also wash it a couple times per year.