ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Turn off the display & other annoying quirks

Old 01-31-18, 08:19 AM
chalasani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turn off the display & other annoying quirks

Hello.... a noob here to this forum. Tried searching the forum but could not find an answer

Model: 2107 ES 350 with Nav...before I get into my rant, the Ride is phenomenal and second to none!... now why this vehicle drive me up the wall!!!

1) On the screen, there is a "Display" button with an option to turn it off. However, looks the dealer reprogrammed the button to show their Dealership (Meade Lexus of Southfield, MI) instead. So in essence, I have a glaring screen, which defeats the purpose of "TURN OFF THE DISPLAY"... shame on the dealership for their self promo, just pi$$e$ me off. Any way to bypass their JPG/picture file and make it "blank" or if i really want, can i upload a custom JPG of my choosing?

2) Having driven a Lincoln the past couple of years, why do I feel that the Lincoln menu controls were much more user friendly and intuitive than Lexus? e.g. every time you press the "return arrow", you dont know if its going to take you the HOME screen or the PREV screen... simply stupid. When playing a channel and you pick "INFO", and you want to go back to the channel list, why does it take you to the TOP of the channel list all over again as opposed to where you just left off... PLEASE help if there is way around this... driving me bonkers!

3) Trying to find Navigation through web search is useless... why cant I use the voice command when searching for destinations... I can only type in the the destination search when I am stopped.....another "I dont know what they were thinking as they designed this".... Am I missing something on this?

Swear to god, one of these days I'll feel like taking a sledge hammer to the whole enform system!... totally frustrated user
Old 01-31-18, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You can search destinations using voice commands. You have two choices:

"Find nearby Starbucks" for example.

Or my preferred method (better results):

"Launch Destination Search" then tell it what you want to look for.
Old 01-31-18, 11:43 AM
chalasani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
You can search destinations using voice commands. You have two choices:

"Find nearby Starbucks" for example.

Or my preferred method (better results):

"Launch Destination Search" then tell it what you want to look for.
Thank you for the response ... on “Launch Destination Search” are you able to search for a place of business just using voice commands e.g. Search for Joe’s Diner in Ann Arbor, MI”. Doing a category search only shows 5-6 options that are near by and may more says you need to be stationary for addl. searches....
Old 01-31-18, 12:34 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

You can also change or delete the photo, or in your case the advertisement, that displays when you start the car. You can insert a photo of your choice or simply the Lexus logo.
There is also a button to turn the screen (display) off completely.

GOOD LUCK...
Old 01-31-18, 12:45 PM
chalasani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
You can also change or delete the photo, or in your case the advertisement, that displays when you start the car. You can insert a photo of your choice or simply the Lexus logo.
There is also a button to turn the screen (display) off completely.

GOOD LUCK...
Thank you BC6152, looked through the manual but could not find that.. any general area I should be looking for? The Lexus logo comes up during engine start but the dealer logo is when I go to turn off the display, which defeats the purpose. TIA
Old 01-31-18, 04:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by chalasani

Thank you BC6152, looked through the manual but could not find that.. any general area I should be looking for? The Lexus logo comes up during engine start but the dealer logo is when I go to turn off the display, which defeats the purpose. TIA
I believe what you are trying to do is explained on page 36 of your navigation manual - not owner's manual... Check it out and let us know...
Old 02-01-18, 05:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I believe what you are trying to do is explained on page 36 of your navigation manual - not owner's manual... Check it out and let us know...
Actually, on the 2017 ES, the instructions for changing the image are on page 284 of the manual.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM33C68U.pdf

If the link doesn't work, just go to the Lexus Drivers website and enter your vehicle. That, or look in your actual paper manual.