ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Extended warranty ending - what can I get done or fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 10:24 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty ending - what can I get done or fix?

I bought a 13 es 350 under factory warranty, purchased an extended Lexus warranty that is about to lapse next month. It was for 125,000 miles but I only put about 97k on it

is there an unspoken list of things the dealers can “fix” on the car before the warranty is up? I regret buying this warranty as I’ve not had to use it even once (a testament to Lexus quality)

i have bought new Michelin tires, replaced pads, and done consistent oil changes. Changed air filters - the normal stuff.

But ii want to get some value out of the warranty. Are there any things you can ask to get done before the warranty ends? I’ve heard there unspoken things you can suggest to get fixed but looking for any feedback - thanks
Old 01-28-18, 04:06 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Very much doubt there is "unspoken" things you can get done.

Your experience in getting no value at all out of the extended warranty confirms my thoughts that I would never buy one.

Oh well, water under the bridge as they say.
Old 01-28-18, 04:58 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You might want to see if there are any outstanding technical service bulletins (TSB's) that apply to your car. These may be able to be taken care of at no cost to you under your warranty.
Old 01-28-18, 08:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
You might want to see if there are any outstanding technical service bulletins (TSB's) that apply to your car. These may be able to be taken care of at no cost to you under your warranty.
TSB's are only covered during the standard warranty period. Also, if the OP's not having any issues, what would the point be?
Old 01-28-18, 05:50 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it there is nothing then - I had been told before that there are “repairs” that can be made. One person implied they can replace your water pump, belts , etc. the dealers will sometimes break something to play ball and get to write up a repair. I guess this is more with unscrupulous third party warranties and not manufacturer/dealers
Old 01-29-18, 05:43 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
TSB's are only covered during the standard warranty period. Also, if the OP's not having any issues, what would the point be?
Didn't think it would hurt to ask. Sometimes a TSB can pick up a potential problem that might occur down the road even though it isn't a current issue.
Old 01-29-18, 06:05 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Luso
I take it there is nothing then - I had been told before that there are “repairs” that can be made. One person implied they can replace your water pump, belts , etc. the dealers will sometimes break something to play ball and get to write up a repair. I guess this is more with unscrupulous third party warranties and not manufacturer/dealers
Think about it. You really want to go to a dealer who will "break something" to scam a warranty company?
Old 01-29-18, 06:07 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you have any rattles/clunks coming from over your left shoulder? There is a serious sunroof design flaw in 2013s. Just had mine fixed under the original warranty. The entire sunroof assemble needs to be replace due to problems in the "rails". Very expensive, limited to 2013-2015 (I think).
Check the "Clunking/rattling sound" postings.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 01-29-18, 07:44 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

As listed above, if you hear any clunking, I would have them look into the sunroof cable TSB. Mine was covered under warranty, and the bill for Lexus was $3,800. Obviously I would NEVER have a repair like that on my dime.

Also, if you can, get under the car and check your CV joints. If you see some black grease around there, the boot is likely torn. For whatever reason, I've had 2 "like new" Lexus with torn CV joints at very low miles.
Old 01-29-18, 11:21 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Think about it. You really want to go to a dealer who will "break something" to scam a warranty company?
Well said.
Old 01-29-18, 11:39 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

since when?

A TSB is just a set of instructions to help a dealer fix a problem. The nature of the problem is what determines if it's covered under warranty or not. Standard or Extended makes no difference. The only time it would make a difference is if the TSB has a specific mileage or age specified, i.e. the problem has to have occurred within the first XX miles or days of ownership.

I've had TSBs completed on a vehicle with 90K on the odometer using an extended warranty..

Last edited by mjeds; 01-29-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 01:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
since when?

A TSB is just a set of instructions to help a dealer fix a problem. The nature of the problem is what determines if it's covered under warranty or not. Standard or Extended makes no difference. The only time it would make a difference is if the TSB has a specific mileage or age specified, i.e. the problem has to have occurred within the first XX miles or days of ownership.

I've had TSBs completed on a vehicle with 90K on the odometer using an extended warranty..
The only TSB I've had performed was for the ECU battery drain issue: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=195332

It clearly states that the repair is only valid during the initial basic warranty. Please share a TSB that states differently.
Old 01-29-18, 01:54 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

The only TSB I've had performed was for the ECU battery drain issue: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=195332

It clearly states that the repair is only valid during the initial basic warranty. Please share a TSB that states differently.
there are literally thousands of TSBs, as they are nothing more than instructions for service techs on how to fix an identified issue, but to your request I grabbed this at random, and this one has no warranty requirement and states such:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=187001

meaning it can be covered under the basic or extended

A TSB can be done at any time, regardless of the warranty coverage because again, it is nothing more than a set of instructions for a service tech, the one you linked says beyond basic it is on the customer to pay for it, not all TSBs carry the same exclusion..

TSBs are not required services, they are simply notifications of identified issues that may affect certain models, they are not required to be done unless the specific issue has been diagnosed, in a lot of cases TSBs are extended directions outside of the service manual to correct or clarify installation instructions or troubleshooting techniques..

Last edited by mjeds; 01-29-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 04:57 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
there are literally thousands of TSBs, as they are nothing more than instructions for service techs on how to fix an identified issue, but to your request I grabbed this at random, and this one has no warranty requirement and states such:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=187001

meaning it can be covered under the basic or extended

A TSB can be done at any time, regardless of the warranty coverage because again, it is nothing more than a set of instructions for a service tech, the one you linked says beyond basic it is on the customer to pay for it, not all TSBs carry the same exclusion..

TSBs are not required services, they are simply notifications of identified issues that may affect certain models, they are not required to be done unless the specific issue has been diagnosed, in a lot of cases TSBs are extended directions outside of the service manual to correct or clarify installation instructions or troubleshooting techniques..
I think we're talking about two different TSB services. I apologize for not being clear. Mine was all inclusive, as in, it is a remedy for an issue. The one you linked is an add-on for a transmission replacement. So, I guess in that regard you're correct. However, I think the premise of "Fillykonk's" post was regarding TSB's that would be more like the one I linked.
Old 01-30-18, 09:02 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I think we're talking about two different TSB services. I apologize for not being clear. Mine was all inclusive, as in, it is a remedy for an issue. The one you linked is an add-on for a transmission replacement. So, I guess in that regard you're correct. However, I think the premise of "Fillykonk's" post was regarding TSB's that would be more like the one I linked.

again a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin that identifies a specific issue on specific models, and sometimes specific VINs, or VINs produced at a specific location or during a specific time, and how to correct that issue. TSBs are not recalls, they usually have a clause or stipulation that states specific symptoms have to be seen or diagnosed before the TSB can be applied to a vehicle as to prevent customers from asking for work to be done that isn't necessary if specific symptoms are not present, but not always, sometimes they are nothing more than a correction to the service manual or an update to a procedure.

Lexus has the right to specify if any specific work is covered under warranty and under what level of warranty, regardless of whether a TSB exists or not, But not all TSBs are locked to the initial warranty, while Lexus seems to be a bit more **** about it than other manufacturers, if the extended warranty covers the parts described in the TSB, they have a legal obligation to honor the extended warranty under those terms. VS. a Recall which is falls under federal mandate to have the expense covered by the manufacturer, regardless whether the recall is voluntary or required.

but maybe I'm wrong, I mean it's not like I spent 20 odd years as a certified ASE tech working for several manufactures or anything like that.. oh wait.. yeah I did

Quick Reply: Extended warranty ending - what can I get done or fix?