ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018-247/)
-   -   Tire pressure warning reset switch? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/878241-tire-pressure-warning-reset-switch.html)

Dommm 01-17-18 01:02 PM

Tire pressure warning reset switch?

I just had my tires rotated & the owners manual (pg 437) says to initialize the "tire pressure warning system". On (pg 438) it says to "Press & hold the tire pressure warning reset switch." The picture shows (pg 438) the switch somewhere under the steering column but I can't seem to find it. Has anyone done this job & if so can you please tell me where to find this switch? thanks

autotech13 01-17-18 01:09 PM

It's in the owners manual!

lesz 01-17-18 01:11 PM

The switch is in a spot that is not easy to see or even to feel around for. I had to get down on my knees outside of the car and stick my head under the dash board and look up to find it. But, if you do that, you should be able to see the switch a little to the left of the steering wheel.

Dommm 01-17-18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by autotech13 (Post 10085070)
It's in the owners manual!

As my post says, it is on pages 437 & 438 but I looked high & low for it but so far no luck.

Dommm 01-17-18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 10085073)
The switch is in a spot that is not easy to see or even to feel around for. I had to get down on my knees outside of the car and stick my head under the dash board and look up to find it. But, if you do that, you should be able to see the switch a little to the left of the steering wheel.

Do I need to have the engine running while doing the initialization or just push the start button without my foot on the brake? thanks

lesz 01-17-18 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dommm (Post 10085113)
Do I need to have the engine running while doing the initialization or just push the start button without my foot on the brake? thanks

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that just having it in the accessory position without the engine being started would be sufficient. Of course, you could be safe by having the engine started.

Dommm 01-17-18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 10085178)
I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that just having it in the accessory position without the engine being started would be sufficient. Of course, you could be safe by having the engine started.

Found the switch, thanks for the directions. You are right, it is well hidden. I will give it a try just pushing the start button without starting the engine & if that does not work I will start up the engine & do the initialization. thanks

zes 01-17-18 04:13 PM

I remember doing this a while ago. Engine was not runnng.

lesz 01-17-18 04:43 PM

While reading the posts in this thread and recalling how I felt like I had to twist my torso into a pretzel to find the switch, the thought crossed my mind that it would probably be a good idea, once I found the switch, to put a piece of tape over it so that, when I needed to find it in the future, it would be easier to find it by feeling around for the tape, rather than having to become a contortionist, again, so that I can locate it visually.

hisstojay 01-17-18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 10085312)
........., when I needed to find it in the future, it would be easier to find it by feeling around for the tape, rather than having to become a contortionist, again, so that I can locate it visually.

Such a pretty good ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

st1800 01-18-18 12:58 AM

A small mirror avoids the pretzel twisting.

hisstojay 01-18-18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by st1800 (Post 10085685)

Another pretty good advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Forum is full of pretty good people

Mike728 01-18-18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lesz (Post 10085312)
While reading the posts in this thread and recalling how I felt like I had to twist my torso into a pretzel to find the switch, the thought crossed my mind that it would probably be a good idea, once I found the switch, to put a piece of tape over it so that, when I needed to find it in the future, it would be easier to find it by feeling around for the tape, rather than having to become a contortionist, again, so that I can locate it visually.

How often do you need to reset it? I've had my ES almost 5 years and have never needed to even look for it. :)

lesz 01-18-18 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by st1800 (Post 10085685)

I'm sure that using a mirror would be a good idea, and, the first time that I had to find the switch, I actually did try to use a mirror and a flashlight, but I seemed to have some difficulty pointing and coordinating the movement of the mirror and the flashlight, and, when I didn't find the switch quickly, my impatience led me quickly to decide to switch to plan B, which was to twist myself into a pretzel.

Originally Posted by Mike728 (Post 10085725)
How often do you need to reset it? I've had my ES almost 5 years and have never needed to even look for it. :)

You are supposed to re-set the TPM system every time the tires are rotated. I'd like to assume that the dealer would do that, but without being sure that they did, my OCD-like behavior has made me want to do it myself just so that I could feel confident that the readings being reported were actually matched up with the correct tires.

Nelexus88 01-18-18 06:43 AM

I have never reset my TPMS after tire rotations (or any other time) and Im quite sure the tire shops do not do it either. The Lexus dealers who rotated mine a couple of times never noted a reset on the service report. As I understand it, the only time you might need to do a reset is if you make a big change in tire pressures. The reset changes the alarm set points to reflect the new tire pressures. The TPMS always seems to know the correct location of each tire based on my experience when I adjust pressures.