ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking for a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 05:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
BTW, what does "Accessory Package" and "Accessory Package 2" mean? I see those on dealer websites under the accessory section of a car listing.
I'm not aware of any package that Lexus offers called an "Accessory Package". If I had to guess, it would be that they are packages of dealer add-ons that likely come with a mark-up of several hundred percent and that are a way for the dealer to pad their profits.
Old 02-10-18, 06:01 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm not aware of any package that Lexus offers called an "Accessory Package". If I had to guess, it would be that they are packages of dealer add-ons that likely come with a mark-up of several hundred percent and that are a way for the dealer to pad their profits.
Here are examples:

1) Go to Specifications-->Options

https://www.coliseumlexusofoakland.c...-CA/3155524763

FRONT & REAR INTUITIVE PARKING ASSIST
BLIND SPOT MONITOR W/REAR CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT
PANORAMIC GLASS ROOF
ACCESSORY PACKAGE
NAVIGATION SYSTEM PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE DISCOUNT
WOOD & LEATHER TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL

2) Go to Specifications-->Options

https://www.coliseumlexusofoakland.c...-CA/3155901893

PANORAMIC GLASS ROOF
REAR SPOILER
ACCESSORY PACKAGE 2
PREMIER PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE DISCOUNT
ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS
ILLUMINATED TRUNK SILL
Old 02-10-18, 06:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Here are examples:

1) Go to Specifications-->Options

https://www.coliseumlexusofoakland.c...-CA/3155524763

PANORAMIC GLASS ROOF
ACCESSORY PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE DISCOUNT

2) Go to Specifications-->Options

https://www.coliseumlexusofoakland.c...-CA/3155901893

PANORAMIC GLASS ROOF
REAR SPOILER
ACCESSORY PACKAGE 2
PREMIER PACKAGE
PREMIER PACKAGE DISCOUNT
ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS
ILLUMINATED TRUNK SILL
In the second listing, they say that the Accessory Package includes the trunk cargo net, trunk carpet mat, wheel locks, and key gloves. In the first listing, it says that the Accessory Package 2 includes the same items as the Accessory Package plus a rear bumper applique.
Old 02-10-18, 07:13 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

In the second listing, they say that the Accessory Package includes the trunk cargo net, trunk carpet mat, wheel locks, and key gloves. In the first listing, it says that the Accessory Package 2 includes the same items as the Accessory Package plus a rear bumper applique.
Thanks. Now I see it.

I had to go to the "Exterior" section to see the package contents.
Old 02-10-18, 07:35 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

What does everyone think of the glass break sensor?
Old 02-11-18, 03:22 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am a minimum sensor and options person. So, I shy away from those things, including glass break sensor. But others may have different opinion. In my books, most options and sensors on Lexus (or any other car) are overpriced gimmicks.
Old 02-11-18, 05:37 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanZ
I am a minimum sensor and options person. So, I shy away from those things, including glass break sensor. But others may have different opinion. In my books, most options and sensors on Lexus (or any other car) are overpriced gimmicks.
Thanks.

Do you or does anyone else know if I can get the glass break sensor after the car is built, and have it installed?

I'm not sure if I want it right now, but if someone else has it, I'd be interested in what they think of it.
Old 02-12-18, 05:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

What does everyone think of the glass break sensor?
Do you feel you need it? If your vehicles are often broken into, I would suggest a full blown alarm system.
Old 02-12-18, 12:27 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Do you feel you need it? If your vehicles are often broken into, I would suggest a full blown alarm system.
I've never had one broken into yet.

But there is a parking lot that I have to leave my car at during the week days, that can get pretty empty by the time I get back.

Doesn't the ES 350 have a theft deterrent system standard? Or it has that, but not an alarm? Or it has an alarm too, but that it's not activated via the glass break sensor, just other forcible entry means?

Also, what's the difference between the standard headlights, and the BI-LED headlamps?
Old 02-12-18, 12:47 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I've never had one broken into yet.

But there is a parking lot that I have to leave my car at during the week days, that can get pretty empty by the time I get back.

Doesn't the ES 350 have a theft deterrent system standard? Or it has that, but not an alarm? Or it has an alarm too, but that it's not activated via the glass break sensor, just other forcible entry means?

Also, what's the difference between the standard headlights, and the BI-LED headlamps?
The ES has a standard theft deterrent system. I believe that the alarm is continuous sounding of the vehicle's horn. Without the glass breakage sensor option, I don't believe that broken glass would trigger the alarm.

The standard headlights for the current model year ES are LED low beams and halogen high beams. The bi-LED option has LED low beam and high beam lights. It can be noted that, while the LED high beams have what many would consider to be a neater look, the halogen high beams actually project out further and provide better illumination than do the LED high beams.

Thanks.

Do you or does anyone else know if I can get the glass break sensor after the car is built, and have it installed?

I'm not sure if I want it right now, but if someone else has it, I'd be interested in what they think of it.
Just about anything can be added later, but the question is about how much it would cost. When options that are added later involve having to work with the car's electronics, that is likely to make doing such an after the fact installation much more expensive than if it was included when the car was built, and I would guess that this would apply to the glass breakage sensors.

Last edited by lesz; 02-12-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 01:27 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

The ES has a standard theft deterrent system. I believe that the alarm is continuous sounding of the vehicle's horn. Without the glass breakage sensor option, I don't believe that broken glass would trigger the alarm.

The standard headlights for the current model year ES are LED low beams and halogen high beams. The bi-LED option has LED low beam and high beam lights. It can be noted that, while the LED high beams have what many would consider to be a neater look, the halogen high beams actually project out further and provide better illumination than do the LED high beams.
Ok, based on that, then I'd prefer the LED high beams, since they provide better illumination and project further.

Just about anything can be added later, but the question is about how much it would cost. When options that are added later involve having to work with the car's electronics, that is likely to make doing such an after the fact installation much more expensive than if it was included when the car was built, and I would guess that this would apply to the glass breakage sensors.
(Re-arranged your post a little.)

Ok, so it sounds like the standard theft deterrent system will cover most cases of forcible entry, and sound an alarm.

I could just take an extra step and add a glass break sensor.

Someone in another thread made a comment that if the car was broken into, then the Enform Remote app would notify one anyways. But I'm thinking that the glass break sensor would be an additional deterrent.
Old 02-12-18, 02:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Ok, based on that, then I'd prefer the LED high beams, since they provide better illumination and project further.
You have that backwards. The standard halogen high beams actually project further and illuminate better than the LED high beams that are a part of the the optional extra cost bi-LED option.
Old 02-12-18, 09:31 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

You have that backwards. The standard halogen high beams actually project further and illuminate better than the LED high beams that are a part of the the optional extra cost bi-LED option.
Oops, thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 01:47 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I called a nearby parts center at a dealer to get some pricing and labor.

* Glass Break Sensor: $130 for parts + $280 for labor + tax.

I could get the sensor from here for $78 after tax and shipping, though:

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...398-33132.html

* Illuminated Door Sills: $316.50 for parts, ~ $150 - $180 for labor (said it should take about an hour).

But I could get the parts from that same site, $231 after tax and shipping:

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...odel=&Filter=()

I was also thinking about getting the floor liners from that same site.

If it were only the door sills, I'd consider going to a body shop and having them do the install. But if I also get the glass break sensor, I'd rather go to a Lexus shop because they'd be more familiar with its integration with the Enform app, and such.

I've never had any of my previous cars customized, but these seem like some decent things to do.

For the illuminated door sills, what happens if the LED goes out? Is there some kind of warranty?

It might not be too late for me to have these added at the factory instead, but there would probably be a dealer markup in addition to the prices shown here:

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/accessories

I don't think it would be as straight forward the sales manager ordering those parts and getting those prices. There would probably be some commission for the dealer afterwards. So it would probably almost be a similar cost than if I were to get them added after the fact at a nearby service center.

One more question. What exactly are these door edge guards?

http://www.lexus.com/cm-img/accessor...2014-Lexus.jpg

I looked at pictures of other cars, and the door handles look the same to me as those door edge guards themselves.

Can someone explain or show me the difference, just so I understand?
Old 02-15-18, 02:40 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I think these are off brand illuminated door sills?

What does everyone think?

https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Illuminated-Automotive-Protector-2015-2017/dp/B0721SC9YF/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1518641598&vehicle=2018-75-2866-20--1-6-5-19052-3257-1-1-2774--2-0&sr=1-1-catcorr&ymm=2018%3Alexus%3Aes350&keywords=illuminated%2Bsill%2Bes350&th=1#customerReviews https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Illuminated-Automotive-Protector-2015-2017/dp/B0721SC9YF/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1518641598&vehicle=2018-75-2866-20--1-6-5-19052-3257-1-1-2774--2-0&sr=1-1-catcorr&ymm=2018%3Alexus%3Aes350&keywords=illuminated%2Bsill%2Bes350&th=1#customerReviews

I like how there are 4 pieces, so I could get one for every door.

I don't think it looks as good as the OEM one, in the picture. Maybe it's a bad picture.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new car.