ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2019 es350

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 09:45 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Exterior looks pretty sharp, but not radically different than my 2017 ES UL.

INterior gets a two thumbs down based solely on the photos. Not as classy looking as my UL.
Old 04-26-18, 12:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The black and metal interior on the F-sport looks just like my base spec ES300h with a black dash, piano black trim and chrome accents. It's not to everyone's liking, I'd say the typical tan dash with wood panelling is what most ES buyers would go for. Red seats look great but they would only match with a black and metal dash color scheme.

All in all, quite a big upgrade over the old 6ES. I could see grabbing one in 2024 or so
Old 04-26-18, 04:11 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Great video of the interior. Love the tan seats with the brown dash and bamboo accents. The nav screen integration looks great and a larger screen. So glad they finally put the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel instead of that stalk that my knees kept hitting. Not excited about losing the joystick and going to that pad.

Old 04-26-18, 04:46 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug

I really like the current (2014 ES) inset of the display to keep the Sun out. I've always desired a larger display, but it'll be interesting to see how it handles with glare, etc.
I agree 100%

With regard to function, I thought that one of the best design elements that Lexus had used in the Generation 6 ES and other sedans was the placement of the navigation screen into a recessed alcove. With the way that the screen placement eliminated glare, it made the ES navigation screen, by far, the easiest to read screen of any navigation screen that I've ever used. While the 12" screen is a nice improvement, loss of the recessed screen is, to me, a big functional negative.

There are also a few other interior design elements that strike me as curious. The placement of the two stalks that stick out on either side of the main instrument cluster (for drive mode selection and skid control, I think) and the location of the clock look awkward and out of place to me.
Old 04-26-18, 07:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
Exterior looks pretty sharp, but not radically different than my 2017 ES UL.

INterior gets a two thumbs down based solely on the photos. Not as classy looking as my UL.
I agree with your assessment and that of others. Not a fan of the dash. I guess that can change once I sit in one. Time will tell.
Old 04-26-18, 08:54 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Interior is nice, not for everyone but I think you can get used to it. Anyone else think the rear profile of it looks Audi-ish
Old 04-26-18, 09:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Lexus should have provided folding mirrors...
Old 04-26-18, 09:42 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Lexus should have provided folding mirrors...
absolutely agree. It is a pet peeve of mine having to fold my own in
Old 04-26-18, 02:37 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see that Lexus has gotten ridden of the Static touch temperature adjustment slider.
Old 04-26-18, 05:29 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I agree 100%

With regard to function, I thought that one of the best design elements that Lexus had used in the Generation 6 ES and other sedans was the placement of the navigation screen into a recessed alcove. With the way that the screen placement eliminated glare, it made the ES navigation screen, by far, the easiest to read screen of any navigation screen that I've ever used. While the 12" screen is a nice improvement, loss of the recessed screen is, to me, a big functional negative.

There are also a few other interior design elements that strike me as curious. The placement of the two stalks that stick out on either side of the main instrument cluster (for drive mode selection and skid control, I think) and the location of the clock look awkward and out of place to me.
I agree, those ***** on the side of the instrument cluster look a little bit Frankensteinish to me. I will have to see it in person to really decide.

As to the screen out out in the open, this is more like our NX and it has been just fine. I haven’t found glare to be a problem.
Old 04-26-18, 07:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
I don't know, but I thought I seen a spy shot of what looks to be a test mule for the 5th gen GS. I was currently waiting for the 5th gen GS to come out to make my first new car purchase (depending on it's looks). If the GS is truly no more, then I'll just settle for a used 4th gen...damn that new ES is beautiful, if only that was the redesigned 5th gen RWD GS.....
With Ford's announcement that, by 2020, the only passenger cars that they will be offering in the US will be the Mustang and a Focus crossover and with GM expected to follow suit, it makes even more sense that Lexus would be planning to reduce the number of car models that it will be offering, and the GS would be the likely candidate to be the first to be dropped from the line.

SUVs continue to grow in popularity, and demand for cars, especially for sedans, continues to drop dramatically. If Ford and GM are planning to drop most of their car models, it makes me wonder if the GS will be the only car Lexus drops from its model offerings.
Old 04-27-18, 11:58 AM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ford and GM probably could not make crap to continue selling their horrible cars though theyve always had a strong profitability with their trucks and some SUVs. so that makes a lot of sense for those manufacturers but i think lexus was a bit different, though its best seller does happen to be RX. with the brand being the luxury brand it is, theres no way they're dropping the flagship full size LS, and their sports orientation with LC, RC, f-sports, i think we have a good while before lexus does anything crazy like the desperate ford and GM.

anyhow - first pics i saw of the ES interior was from the Fsport and i thought that was just BAD. but looking at regular trims with wood inserts etc, i think the interior is nice, though i cant say its a big improvement over the current gen which is pretty damn nice imho.

that touchpad is a PITA and something you cannot or should get used to though. thats too bad. and still no touch screen.
Old 04-27-18, 01:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newyerker
ford and GM probably could not make crap to continue selling their horrible cars though theyve always had a strong profitability with their trucks and some SUVs. so that makes a lot of sense for those manufacturers but i think lexus was a bit different, though its best seller does happen to be RX. with the brand being the luxury brand it is, theres no way they're dropping the flagship full size LS, and their sports orientation with LC, RC, f-sports, i think we have a good while before lexus does anything crazy like the desperate ford and GM.

anyhow - first pics i saw of the ES interior was from the Fsport and i thought that was just BAD. but looking at regular trims with wood inserts etc, i think the interior is nice, though i cant say its a big improvement over the current gen which is pretty damn nice imho.

that touchpad is a PITA and something you cannot or should get used to though. thats too bad. and still no touch screen.
I agree that there is a difference between Ford or Chevy and the luxury brands. Clearly, Lexus, to maintain "luxury brand" status, needs to maintain production of a sedan that can end up with a MSRP of well over $100,000. So, regardless of the fact that Lexus only sold 4000 of the LS in 2017, the LS is assured of being in the lineup. Similarly, the LC Coupe, with about 2400 sold in 2017 has to be kept in the lineup, but other sedans and coupes with low sales numbers are not likely profit makers for Lexus, and I could see justification for discontinuing their production. Those models include the GS (7700 sold in 2017), the IS (26,000 sold in 2017), and the RC (7300 sold in 2017). Further, GS sales dropped by 48% from 2016 to 2017. IS sales dropped by 29%, and RC sales dropped by 34%.

For SUVs, on the other hand, sales were twice as high as for Lexus cars. Even if you take the RX, by far the biggest seller for Lexus, out of the mix, the total sales for the other 3 Lexus SUVs were almost equal to the combined number of sales for all 8 Lexus cars.

So, while it is likely that luxury brands will be able keep up car sales numbers better than non-luxury brands, even with luxury brands, there is a shift toward SUVs, and, in the near future, I won't be surprised if Lexus kills off at least a couple of its car models.
Old 04-28-18, 07:58 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I just saw video of the new ES and the outward changes are great, however the interior is a huge letdown. How could they mess up the interior like this? The swooping line across the dash into the center console is terrible looking and just leaves you with a 5 inch wide of dead space between upper and lower center controls. I don't like that look. Also the shifter **** looks like something from the 90's not very nice looking. I sure hope they improve that touch pad because I fear it's going to go into the IS350 on next revision. I was able to play around with the touch pad on the 2018 NX and I found it very unreliable and found myself over shooting and under shooting my mark, it was very flustering navigating around the interface and this was with about an hour of playing with it. I wasn't a fan.

What I find funny is how Lexus use to have touch screens (I had a 2007 IS350) and BMW said they would never do touch screens then now jump to today and BMW is offering touch screen and Lexus is not. How weird is that?
Old 04-29-18, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I really disagree. I think the new ES interior is a huge improvement and a definite step in the right direction. I really like the dash design.

Quick Reply: 2019 es350