ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How big of a damage would warrant radiator support/mount repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 09:37 AM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How big of a damage would warrant radiator support/mount repair?

I've left many comments on my 15 ESh CPO purchase that i made about six months ago.
Its been in the dealer more than i had it, getting quite some work done starting from dashtop, roof rattle, and mismatching paint with cracked grille.

They've had 3 body work done to try to match it, never turned out ok, and there was always slight panel gap in the front hood/bumper where one of the sides was a bit pushed in.
Last time they said it was done and with matching paint job, it STILL was not matching and the shop guy again agreed to, so they took it back again saying they'll try a different body shop.
this time i asked if they could look further in and see what may be causing that gap.

After my car was dropped, they were silent for two full weeks, without giving any sort of status update / estimate. i finally called and he said the body shop just got done yesterday but he didnt have the chance to inspect it. But according to what they sent him, he said the gap was caused from a radiator support and that they had to work on that to fix the support/mount or something.
When I got my car, the only thing they disclosed to me was that they had to fix a chrome piece on the grill. If they had to re-align the radiator, what sort of front damage are we looking at?

i dont know enough to know, but mainly worried what other crap may have happened to the car to warrant such fix?
Though the dealer did have the car for a LONG time, I also did drive it around quite a bit but drive-wise, i was not feeling anything weird. but now knowing it might have had a front collision that was more than just a slight fender bender, really really not feeling comfortable with the purchase and the car.

I am thinking of options to talk with the sales guy/manager and looking for any viable options/advises. This is a certified lexus dealer.

I would really appreciate any input and thank you for the time!

- also thought about just trying to contact lexus corporate to seek advise, but with dealer always trying to fix stuff and agreeing to problems etc, i wasnt sure if that might leave a big negative impact on the sales guy or the dealer.

Last edited by newyerker; 10-28-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-28-17, 11:03 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Was this condition all prexisting before you bought it from the dealership? Was it sold as a "certified" used Lexus at the dealership? If it was, there's a lot of liability for the dealer there.

If it's truly been in the shop for longer than you've owned it, I would really be pushing for the Lexus dealership to buy it back from you and move on to a different vehicle. They clearly did not fully disclose the condition of the vehicle. I don't know legally what your options are and that's a messy route, but I would probably start with just talking with a sales manager about trading your vehicle in for the full purchase price on something different.

This is why unfortunately I get so skittish about any sort of accident history on a vehicle.
Old 10-28-17, 12:09 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Was this condition all prexisting before you bought it from the dealership? Was it sold as a "certified" used Lexus at the dealership? If it was, there's a lot of liability for the dealer there.

If it's truly been in the shop for longer than you've owned it, I would really be pushing for the Lexus dealership to buy it back from you and move on to a different vehicle. They clearly did not fully disclose the condition of the vehicle. I don't know legally what your options are and that's a messy route, but I would probably start with just talking with a sales manager about trading your vehicle in for the full purchase price on something different.

This is why unfortunately I get so skittish about any sort of accident history on a vehicle.

Yup, sold as L certified from a legit lexus dealership. and some conditions were there like a very small crack near where they said the chrome piece was replaced. and carfax was clean, with no accident history whatsoever.
Old 10-28-17, 12:57 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

It wouldn't take much to bend a radiator support. That whole front end is tied together and any accident that does more than scuff the bumper has a chance to bend something.
They will have a very hard time getting it back to perfect. I had a used 4Runner that I bought that had the same issue. The front bumper cover never lined up perfectly.
Talk with the dealer. They may be willing to work with you since it was certified.
Old 10-28-17, 01:17 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to read about all your troubles. I agree that it is time to ask the dealer to buy back your car. They definitely sold you a car that has been in a collision. Just kludging to make it work and hide the damage is not a solution to this. If you encounter resistance with buy back, contact corporate. You have an upper hand with it being L certified and spending its time more at the dealer than you. The bent radiator support may also have damaged the subframe. To see the damage in it clearly, they would have to take the engine out.