ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lack of slow sleep follow capabiliy in ES350 Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 07:31 AM
gthaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of slow sleep follow capabiliy in ES350 Cruise Control

I have friends/family who swear by the "all speed" adaptive cruise control in their CR-V and Sonata vehicles. They say they the slow speed follow ability works wonderfully in rush hour and other busy times on urban highways. I wonder if the 2018 ES350 will add this feature. And why is Lexus, a premium brand, so lacking in its technology in various ways? (No android auto or apple carplay etc.)
Old 08-01-17, 05:48 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Only pure speculation but reliability is one of the forefront values of buying/owning a Lexus; that explains why Toyota/Lexus has been behind in technology across a lot of their vehicles (not just the ES350). This is assumably done to avoid headaches with sensors, electronic gremlins (ala MB or Audi among others) and I guess its working, Toyota reported a slight increase in sales compared to drops across most other brands (GM dropped 15.4%!).

I've been looking for a LS460 with adaptive cruise and there are probably less than 5% of their vehicles that have this option which is frustrating - even those with adaptive cruise may not be as advanced as, to your point, a Hyundai/Honda. My friend's Infiniti has awesome adaptive/cruise with adaptive lane departure yet the flagship of many Lexus/Toyota vehicles lack this feature. I'd say a lot is coming (starting with the all-new 2018 Camry) and catching up but for the meanwhile, we'll play laggards for the sake of predicted reliability.
The following users liked this post:
gthaker (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 07:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Some Lexus models do have all speed cruise control. I believe that the Generation 4 RX, which was introduced with the 2016 models, is one of the models with all speed cruse control. I suspect that it will be introduced to other models only when those models have a complete re-design and a new generation. That would mean, for the ES, it would be likely to happen with the 2019 ES, which should be the first year for the Generation 7 ES.

I do believe, though, that Toyota and Lexus have always been more conservative with regard to incorporating new technology into their vehicles. I've been driving Toyota and Lexus vehicles for over 20 years, and, even going back to the 1990s, Toyota didn't even have things like auto dimming mirrors, full time all-wheel drive, HID headlights, etc. until years after other manufacturers had been building vehicles with those features.

It may well be the case that it is Toyota and Lexus philosophy to hold off on using technology until reliability is assured and bugs have been worked out. But the reality is that, if you want leading edge technology, you would be better off buying a Hyundai or a Chevy than a Lexus or a Toyota.
Old 08-02-17, 06:50 AM
gthaker
Driver School Candidate

I would venture a guess that 2018 ES will extend the cruise to "slow sleep follow" capability that is on many cars now. While some (Lexus) owners consider this a "gimmick", there are times, as in Beltway traffic, where people have sworn by the benefits of this feature as it eliminates constant pushing on gas and brakes, gas and brakes. (Of course, the car is doing it for you, so there is likely only small savings in fuel and brake wear, but a lot less stress to the driver for the 30-40 mins he may spend in traffic.)

These days "Tech" in a car gets (deserved) attention, esp. from the younger buyers. As years go on, if Lexus hangs on this "we may be the last but we have reliable automobile" philosophy it will only get them so far.
Old 08-02-17, 07:21 AM
gthaker
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I need to proof read better. I keep saying "sleep", I mean "speed" ("slow speed follow").
Old 08-02-17, 07:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by gthaker
I would venture a guess that 2018 ES will extend the cruise to "slow sleep follow" capability that is on many cars now. .
My guess would be that the all speed cruise control will not be included on the 2018 ES. It has been Lexus practice not to make changes like that until a model has had a major redesign. Also, a Motor Trend article indicates "no changes" for the 2018 ES, except for some changes to features in the Premium Package.

" Base Price: $40,000-$43,000*

Body Type: Sedan

Unchanged: For 2018, the Lexus ES lineup returns as a carryover model from the previous model year. The Premier package adds features such as heated and ventilated front seats, a leather steering wheel, 17-inch alloy wheels, park assist, and blind-spot warning with rear cross-traffic alert. During 2018, expect a redesigned ES sedan to arrive riding on the TNGA platform, which will underpin front-wheel-drive Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Also Consider: Buick LaCrosse, Kia Cadenza, Lincoln MKZ.

Sum Up: Vanilla in character, polarizing in looks."