ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Spots on dash glass - is it possible to be inside the glass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 10:00 PM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spots on dash glass - is it possible to be inside the glass?

I bought my 2015 ES 350 yesterday. Today I noticed that there are spots on the dash glass (instrument panel). It's really distracting at night when the blue light illuminates everything. Here's a pic. I didn't notice it at first because the glass is clear directly in front of the gauges. I hope that is an indication the spots are on the outside and not on the inside. I've tried cleaning with water and a damp towel. Nothing helped. Could it be the spots are on the interior side of the glass? I don't want to scratch the glass. Any ideas? Spots on the instrument panel glass
Old 06-22-17, 05:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The panel lens is plastic not glass. More likely is that those spots are permanently etched into the plastic lens, likely something that was used as a spray cleaner or protectant on the interior and splashed there.

I would try a mild plastic cleaner like Plexus, and if that doesn't work move up to a plastic polishing system like Novus or even Meguiars PlastX.

If those don't work, you'll have to replace the lens.
Old 06-22-17, 06:28 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kthurman
I bought my 2015 ES 350 yesterday. Today I noticed that there are spots on the dash glass (instrument panel). It's really distracting at night when the blue light illuminates everything. Here's a pic. I didn't notice it at first because the glass is clear directly in front of the gauges. I hope that is an indication the spots are on the outside and not on the inside. I've tried cleaning with water and a damp towel. Nothing helped. Could it be the spots are on the interior side of the glass? I don't want to scratch the glass. Any ideas? Spots on the instrument panel glass
Maybe the dealer will handle it under warranty or goodwill.
The following users liked this post:
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 06:49 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Be careful what you use in trying to remove the spots. That is soft plastic and will scratch very easily. If you scratch lines into the plastic it will cause refraction with light and make it even more difficult to view instruments. Looks to me like something was oversprayed onto the plastic and damaged it.
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 07:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If it's really bothering you, you could check with a professional detailer and see if there is anything they can do. As mentioned the plastic is very soft and will damage easily.
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 08:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Going along with what others have posted, I think that my first attempt would be to see if I could get the dealer to do something about either repairing or replacing the plastic. If that failed, I'd be inclined to go to a detailer and to see what he/she could do. As has been pointed out by several others, the plastic is very delicate, and there is potential for making it worse if you attempt a do-it-yourself repair. If it was my car, I don't think I'd want to take that risk.
Old 06-22-17, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Before people get too worked up about "potentially damaging the lens"...a new lens is only $36.

http://parts.iralexusofmanchester.co...wd=&origin=pla
Old 06-22-17, 08:59 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Just a thought, try vinegar.
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 10:40 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Before people get too worked up about "potentially damaging the lens"...a new lens is only $36.

But switching out the lens will probably be a lot of work.
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dchar
But switching out the lens will probably be a lot of work.
I don't think so actually...taking the dash and components of these cars apart is actually pretty straightforward...
kthurman (06-22-17)
Old 06-22-17, 11:42 AM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your detailed suggestions and for pointing out this is plastic and not glass. I will buy one or more of the recommended cleaners that you just mentioned. I found them on Amazon but am hopeful I can find them locally.
Old 06-22-17, 11:44 AM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

I will call the dealer and ask for their assistance with this too, especially if I cannot remove it myself with the products others have recommended.
Old 06-22-17, 11:46 AM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

Wow. Your link has been eye-opening to me. I had no idea such replacement parts could be easily found and ordered online.
Old 06-22-17, 11:48 AM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

The panel lens is plastic not glass. More likely is that those spots are permanently etched into the plastic lens, likely something that was used as a spray cleaner or protectant on the interior and splashed there.

I would try a mild plastic cleaner like Plexus, and if that doesn't work move up to a plastic polishing system like Novus or even Meguiars PlastX.

If those don't work, you'll have to replace the lens.
Thank you for your detailed suggestions and for pointing out this is plastic and not glass. I will buy one or more of the recommended cleaners that you just mentioned. I found them on Amazon but am hopeful I can find them locally.
Old 06-22-17, 08:12 PM
kthurman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Going along with what others have posted, I think that my first attempt would be to see if I could get the dealer to do something about either repairing or replacing the plastic. If that failed, I'd be inclined to go to a detailer and to see what he/she could do. As has been pointed out by several others, the plastic is very delicate, and there is potential for making it worse if you attempt a do-it-yourself repair. If it was my car, I don't think I'd want to take that risk.
I called the service department today at Carmax and explained the problem. Setup an appointment to get the car looked at under the dealerships 30 day warranty. They told me not to spend money on cleaning solutions or replacement parts because they will try cleaning it themselves (and will replace it if that doesn't work). I'm optimistic that Carmax will take good care of this.

Quick Reply: Spots on dash glass - is it possible to be inside the glass?