Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Battery ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 06:00 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you are going to be fine and now we know that our ESh can run on the Prius replacement battery. While not any cheaper, it's always good to know we have options to the overpriced OEM Panasonic.
Old 06-03-19, 05:09 PM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the update after three weeks of using the Autocraft battery (link for which I had posted a few weeks ago).

1. After exhaustive testing in diff conditions, the battery was just not adequate for the lexus es300h - mainly, the AH in the battery was not adequate to run the instrumentation in the vehicle, and handed over control to the IC engine a little too sooner than it should have - resulting in getting (about) 6/7 mpg less than before. I used to get 38/39 mpg in mixed use and was getting about 32.

2. Talked to the Advanced Auto folks in Chandler AZ, who swapped the battery to "AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 24F, 710 CCA" - I have been using this for about 3 days now and my mpg and the hand offs between the hybrid and IC appear to be closer to the OEM battery, and I seem to be getting a better mpg than the earlier one. I am getting about 36/37 mpg now, but that may be because the vehicle is learning.

3. The battery costs $150 approx in AZ (with a 25% discount for the web orders!), and you get your core deposit back when you turn in your old core.

4. Since this is a sealed AGM battery, (apparently) there is no venting to be handled, so the vent tube is dangling there. No temp sensor is needed either.

So, we now have two alternatives to the Lexus Panasonic 12V!

Good luck.

Last edited by RaymondV; 06-04-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-13-19, 01:32 PM
dskinner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
RockAuto will sell it to you for 186.79 + 18.99 shipping = $205.78

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0521360&jsn=10
Have been researching to replace the 12v battery in my 2013 Es300h. This thread has been amazing!

I decided to try and purchase the MX24 from RockAuto this week. They shipped the battery with no elbow vent and no plug for the second vent hole. When following up with RockAuto, they simply stated the battery does not include the elbow vent or vent plug and the components are not available on their website either. I've spent a little bit fo time searching for, but haven't found, a compatible vent plug or elbow vent. Now, I have to send the battery back ($23 return shipping) for a refund minus my $25 shipping costs for the order. $48 bucks later, no battery and I have to purchase from another retailer. RockAuto was cheaper by about $20-$30, but in the end costs me more.

I had made the assumption that the manufacturer ships the battery with the elbow vent and plug, now I'm nervous to make the same mistake again. Calling CarID to see if they can confirm this ships with the vent plug and elbow, though no word back yet. ( They drop ship the MX24 from the manufacturer so there is no way to check current stock) Has anyone had a successful purchase from other website where the elbow vent and vent plug where included?

Update: CarID states that the MX24 does not require venting and will not ship with an elbow vent adapter or vent plug. This seems to be contradictory to the great details provided by Gamma742 (who ordered from Rock Auto also) and Frmmli. What am I missing here?

Last edited by dskinner; 12-13-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 10:28 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow after reading this thread i knew id see people talking about how its 300-400 for the battery
I bought my 2016 ES300h with 37k on it just 4 months ago in August drove down to Florida for it.
I used to live in Boca Raton used to go to JM lexus all the time for service with my ES350
i called up Casey who runs the Express service drive he always took care of me he got the car in for a full inspection made sure it was ready for the 3000 miles drive back home to Utah where i live now he called me up said everyhtign is great except the battery needed replaced i was like the car is less than 4 years old and needs a new battery i asked how much
he told me like 420 bucks i was like wtf for a battery. he said don't worry its still under the base warranty since it only had 37k and it was under 4 years old from the in service sale date so im happy about that
Old 12-07-20, 09:58 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Figured, I will post an update on my experiences with my Autocraft battery (AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size 24F, 710 CCA) after nearly 2 years of use.

1. This battery does NOT provide identical fuel efficiencies as the OEM one - at least in the relatively flat Phoenix area. I average around 34-35 mpg in the summer months and about 37 mpg in the cooler winter months. The hand-offs to the EV mode are delayed (i.e. in the OEM the handoff would happen at 45 mph and below, whereas the Autocraft does this only below 40 mph - all things remaining the same (i.e. hybrid battery charge, engine temp, outside temp, etc )

2. Discussed this with the Toyota Svc Manager who confirmed that the Panasonic OEM has some variations which gives the extra mpg oomph, and other replacements options are experiencing similar minor drops in fuel efficiencies. I notice that in this thread, we have not shared the impact to fuel eff with other batteries. Would be interesting to know that.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
12jimmyjam (12-07-20)
Old 12-21-20, 02:46 PM
rockinboa
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I have a 2013 ES300h myself.
My 12V is dead and I need to replace it.
What did you end up doing and how did it turn out?
I'm concerned about the vent.
Old 12-29-20, 12:05 PM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Default if hybrid fuel eff is important to you, stick to OEM, else explore posts above...

Originally Posted by rockinboa
Hey, I have a 2013 ES300h myself.
My 12V is dead and I need to replace it.
What did you end up doing and how did it turn out?
I'm concerned about the vent.

if hybrid fuel eff is important to you, stick to OEM, else explore posts above...you will lose about 4/7 mpg depending upon the battery. There is some logic handoff between the OEM battery and the car computer as to when the hybrid battery sends over its juice, which is absent in other batteries. Trust this helps
Old 12-30-20, 08:12 AM
Jasonheum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frmmli
Solution I am writing should be for the Gen 6 ES300H. I have just figured it out and replaced mine. Currently the dealer want $680 installed and buying from dealer Parts Dept to DIY is about $580, a little less if you buy the Toyota Camry replacement but absolutely no warranty.

​​​​ The perfect fit solution is a group 24 AGM battery. (Not 24F which reverses the polarity and doable but why! Also absolutely must be AGM. I skip explanation here. It should also have a builtin vent hole to hook back up the original exhaust hose. The battery is 'sealed' but the gas from the electrochemical process needs to exit out of the trunk. I will skip further explanations here.). The perfect buy is the Exide FP-AGM24 (18 April 2019 - I am updaing my recommendation: I am pretty sure that Exide MX24 is now the replacement for the recently discontinued FP-AGM24 I used. You can shop for the MX24. See other comments on where else to get this battery other than CARiD) 4 year warranty. It came with vent hole in front end and rear end, one plug to use on the end not used and a L-shape elbow which the Lexus hose plugs right into. Mine is about $200 after shipment from CARiD, and they can do Paypal. Note: They sell on eBay but hard to find them that way and they do not show up based on the battery number. So, just Google for them and call. Here is the most important thing to KNOW. If you ask Exide directly or CARiD to key in your makes and models, they will swear there is nothing they can offer. On CARiD site if you do it on line, that battery number is matched only to the GS and you have to pretend that's what you have. Why, I will venture my explanations later on.

How? Super easy. All you need is a 10mm wrench. See photos, I will skip detailed instructions, and it is just that simple. Push two snaps on top of battery door on right side of trunk and remove door. Take note the red positive post is in the front, and the post is the larger diameter one. Suggest you take a pic first if not experienced. Remove the nut and the bolt on the hold down bracket. Unplug the vent elbow from battery and remove it from the hose. Loosen the two cable clamps a little and remove from posts. Swap battery, reconnect and install clamp. The bracket should hold down the battery but not way overtightened to deform the battery housing. Move the plastic plug from the rear vent hole to the front. Plug the Exide elbow into original hose and plug in the rear vent hole. Put on batt cables and tighten the clamps .

you will have to Reset a few things in the car since you have cut off power for a while. Not a big deal. Note, on this car, your car computers are not affected and will not lose programs. Don't have to see the dealer after your DIY. If you want to avoid having to reset those few things, you have to get fancy and use cables to keep powering the car,

The L elbow on top is the old one. Can throw away.
utilizing the two batteries you have, if the old one is not totally dead.

I will not explain about the ES300H not showing up until I have time with another message.
Anyone cares about the opposite vent port on Exide (and other batteries w/ 2 ports)? Something to cover and block it? Or what?
Old 02-23-21, 03:10 PM
Phi871
Driver School Candidate

How is this battery holding up today? I just recieved mine and I am still not clear about what to do about the vent hole.
Old 03-05-21, 11:45 AM
skaler
10th Gear

Default 2014 ES300h with 47,600 miles

Bought this car from a Lexus dealer here in Atlanta on April 30, 2015 with 21,421 miles on it. Runs fine, but I notice that the gas mileage has been declining. Early on, I'd get as high as 43mpg, if driven on the highway. Around town, maybe 37-39.
Now, it's more like 31-33. Haven't been on the interstate since covid. I had no idea about "hand off" and that batteries could impact mpg. I have no reason to think that the battery in my trunk is not original. However, why does it say "Explosive gases, severe burns, and do not tip"?
That sounds like the warnings you'd see on a regular acid battery.
My battery is right in the middle of the consensus 3-8 year age for failure or end of life. Pep Boys want $250 for a Champion battery, and Batterie Plus carries Optima, also around $250.
Most folks on here seem to prefer the Exide MX24. I can get that from a ebay vendor in Illinois for right at $200 including shipping.
Do you folks still think the Exide is the best ?
Thanks.
Old 03-13-21, 05:49 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by skaler
Most folks on here seem to prefer the Exide MX24. I can get that from a ebay vendor in Illinois for right at $200 including shipping.
Do you folks still think the Exide is the best ?
Thanks.

Yes get the Exide.. my daughter has my ES300h and it's working flawlessly.
Old 03-15-21, 12:49 PM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

What fuel efficiency is she getting with the Exide battery? Is it same as before or different (assuming that her driving conditions / patterns have been similar!)?
Old 03-25-21, 11:50 AM
cmichielic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Frmmli
Solution I am writing should be for the Gen 6 ES300H. I have just figured it out and replaced mine. Currently the dealer want $680 installed and buying from dealer Parts Dept to DIY is about $580, a little less if you buy the Toyota Camry replacement but absolutely no warranty.

​​​​ The perfect fit solution is a group 24 AGM battery. (Not 24F which reverses the polarity and doable but why! Also absolutely must be AGM. I skip explanation here. It should also have a builtin vent hole to hook back up the original exhaust hose. The battery is 'sealed' but the gas from the electrochemical process needs to exit out of the trunk. I will skip further explanations here.). The perfect buy is the Exide FP-AGM24 (18 April 2019 - I am updaing my recommendation: I am pretty sure that Exide MX24 is now the replacement for the recently discontinued FP-AGM24 I used. You can shop for the MX24. See other comments on where else to get this battery other than CARiD) 4 year warranty. It came with vent hole in front end and rear end, one plug to use on the end not used and a L-shape elbow which the Lexus hose plugs right into. Mine is about $200 after shipment from CARiD, and they can do Paypal. Note: They sell on eBay but hard to find them that way and they do not show up based on the battery number. So, just Google for them and call. Here is the most important thing to KNOW. If you ask Exide directly or CARiD to key in your makes and models, they will swear there is nothing they can offer. On CARiD site if you do it on line, that battery number is matched only to the GS and you have to pretend that's what you have. Why, I will venture my explanations later on.

How? Super easy. All you need is a 10mm wrench. See photos, I will skip detailed instructions, and it is just that simple. Push two snaps on top of battery door on right side of trunk and remove door. Take note the red positive post is in the front, and the post is the larger diameter one. Suggest you take a pic first if not experienced. Remove the nut and the bolt on the hold down bracket. Unplug the vent elbow from battery and remove it from the hose. Loosen the two cable clamps a little and remove from posts. Swap battery, reconnect and install clamp. The bracket should hold down the battery but not way overtightened to deform the battery housing. Move the plastic plug from the rear vent hole to the front. Plug the Exide elbow into original hose and plug in the rear vent hole. Put on batt cables and tighten the clamps .

you will have to Reset a few things in the car since you have cut off power for a while. Not a big deal. Note, on this car, your car computers are not affected and will not lose programs. Don't have to see the dealer after your DIY. If you want to avoid having to reset those few things, you have to get fancy and use cables to keep powering the car,

The L elbow on top is the old one. Can throw away.
utilizing the two batteries you have, if the old one is not totally dead.

I will not explain about the ES300H not showing up until I have time with another message.
Great notes. This just happened to me with my 2014 ES300h. 7 years plus not turning the car on for several weeks due to the Pandemic. I called Lexus and the current replacement cost is $585. I want to double check if you still recommend the Exide MX24. It looks like it fits great in your pictures. I noticed is only available online with stores that i never heard before and I'm not a fun of eBay due to past bad experiences. Is this only available online? do you have a trusted website to get it ship to OC? or there is a location i can go? . Perhaps you can recommend another type of battery more commercially available. Thank you so much in advance.
Old 03-25-21, 12:21 PM
tomscot2
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

rockauto.com has the Exide MX24 for $149.70 plus shipping ($16.99 via FedEx Ground to my zip code).
EXIDE MX24 Battery | RockAuto
Old 09-21-21, 05:04 PM
aghozzo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomscot2
rockauto.com has the Exide MX24 for $149.70 plus shipping ($16.99 via FedEx Ground to my zip code).
EXIDE MX24 Battery | RockAuto
does this one has the fume vent ? Reading the thread some people say it shipped without it

Quick Reply: Battery ES300H