Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Battery ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 03:49 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsiva97229
Dear Frmmli et. al
Your post above on the closest equivalent ES300h agm battery (Exide) makes interesting reading and I commend your research and advice on the topic.
I have a 2014 ES300h and the battery looks good at 60K so far. However, I am starting to think I need to be prepared for the eventuality. The Lexus dealer in Portland, OR is charging $600 for the Panasonic battery. Seems way overpriced and a ripoff to say the least.

I could not get the Exide FP-AGM24 in carid and it is out of stock as of April 2nd, 2019. However since you mentioned Group 24 would work, the Exide MX24 seems to be a plausible candidate (IMO) and Carid has it for $190. The dimensions seems more or less similar to the original battery and the current ratings as well.

Length: 10.2". Width: 6.8". Height: 8.6".

See more details in the link below

https://www.carid.com/exide/marathon-max-agm-battery-mpn-mx24.html

Exide MX-24 (from carid)

Can you pl let know if this will work for the car. The venting holes, we cannot see in the picture. There is no side view of the battery. I called up the carid rep and he said that it does have the holes but will work only for the GS. (this point you mentioned above in the thread that to order, we need to call the car as GS and not ES300h).

If I have your blessings on this battery, I can give it a shot when my current one starts to show signs of weakness. The terminal orientation (+ on left and - on right) seems perfect as well for the MX24 unlike the 24F.

Thanks much

Regards

Siva R
I did not dig out all the info I used then, but I am 98% confident that the MX-24 is a direct replacement of the FP-AGM24. CARiD cannot confirm that(no answer/info they can read off the screen and I will not expect the person can be very knowledgeable about these batteries stored in the warehouse!). They did say that the MX-24 has a vent on each end. I will say it is very likely correct looking at key hole shape silhouette; and the location is right and like that on the FP-AGM24 I have. Both of them belong to the Group 24, i.e. the same dimensions. Oh, the height you quoted includes the handle and the net height is 7.9". Both have that same dimensions. The terminals locations are the same.

To be 100% confident that the MX is direct replacement in those 3 areas, you can call Exide's HQ at1.678.566.9000 (in GA) and go for customer support under the Transportation sector.

Ref: the spec sheet on the FP is http://www2.exide.com/media/partscat...20FP-AGM24.PDF

Good luck.
Old 04-02-19, 05:37 PM
rsiva97229
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Frmmli,
Thank you so much for taking the time to verify some of the info that I had posted on the MX24 with Carid and also for providing the phone number of Exide to talk to for further clarification. We have likely hit the replacement battery and not get robbed by the Lexus aftersale parts price and the dealer's gouging quotes.

Carid quotes $216 to ship to OR (base price of 190).

If I get some more info from Exide on the battery architecture, I will certainly post it here for the benefit of other users who may be in a similar boat as mine.

Thanks yet again for being the pioneer and your detailed postings opened my eyes.

Regards

Siva R
Old 04-05-19, 12:50 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Frmmli,

Carid quotes $216 to ship to OR (base price of 190).
RockAuto will sell it to you for 186.79 + 18.99 shipping = $205.78

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...0521360&jsn=10
Old 04-08-19, 07:46 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frmmli
Answer: Mine 2014. Pretended to be 2014 GS350.

I recall, if accurate enough: since I know the exact battery number, I searched on their site for it, moved towards ordering, it gave a drop down asking me for year/makes/model and I had to get through that first. ES300H did not work, and the 2014 GS was allowed.

Good luck. Ordering over the phone is the same price. Note, the prices shown is lower than the approx $200 almost implying shipping is included but the real price at checkout will get you to almost $200 as on mine. No core charge. To get rid of the old battery, any AutoZone type places will take it but I do not think they will pay you back anything!!
​​​​​
​​​​​
Exide FP-AGM24. (also fits 2014 GS)

Thanks, but where the heck were you 6 months ago? j/k

edit: I forgot to say, the dealer confirmed your post above.
when driving over for the replacement, I was worried the car wouldn't restart at a stoplight, But like you said, the small trunk battery is only used to boot the computer at startup. So any old 12v source should work.

Last edited by mrBillFL; 04-08-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 02:25 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

If I have your blessings on this battery, I can give it a shot when my current one starts to show signs of weakness. The terminal orientation (+ on left and - on right) seems perfect as well for the MX24 unlike the 24F.

Thanks much

Regards

Siva R
I ordered mine today from RockAuto.com

As to your question being will this work? At RockAuto they state that this is the alternate/OEM PN for the FP AGM 24 (see highlighted text below)

I will be installing this in my 2013 ES300h

The following users liked this post:
Shilly (05-13-23)
Old 04-09-19, 08:48 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

mrBillFL, Sorry for offering the solution late!! I had a couple of failure to start in my garage from running radio while doing something in the car and did not spent time to figure out the system, that I have a problem and the solution till the crazy -30 degree night in Chicago getting stuck from running the radio for a few minutes after refueling!!
Old 04-16-19, 07:29 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Today I did the deed..

Panasonic to Exide MX24

The first thing I would like to point out is a location to hook up a 12 volt power supply if you want to keep the car alive during the process. This will keep you from losing any of your presets such as infotainment radio stations you may have programmed.

Here is how I did it with a small 12 volt battery from my motorcycle..

After hooking up the secondary power source I removed the Negative/Ground wire from the battery. Then I removed the Secure Mount that keeps the battery from moving around while driving. This requires a 10 mm socket. I found it easiest to use a deep-well socket because the upper nut has a long way to go thread wise.. see photo:

Once the bracket is removed you can disconnect the Positive/Battery side cable and you are ready to remove and replace the battery.

Another side note, this battery has two vent ports and the opposite side come plugged from the factory. You need to remove the plug from the right side and reinstall it on the left side. Then you need to remove the factory "L" shaped plug on the hose from the Panasonic battery and use the smaller one provided with the Exide Battery. The Hose is the same size only the side that goes into the battery is different.

Now you are ready to swap..

Once the new battery is in place, secure the battery with the strap but don't over tighten. Then attach the vent hose. Next you should attach the Positive side FIRST then the Negative side. If you are using an external battery to keep the system alive, now remove the secondary power source. That's about it.. Judging from the date stenciled on the top of my battery, I think it's about 6 years old. 20th day 2nd month of 2013

And here is the finished project..

The only other thing worth mentioning is the Panasonic battery weighs 36 lbs and the Exide is 50 lbs.

I hope this helps you guys out there~

Last edited by gamma742; 04-16-19 at 08:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gamma742:
Frmmli (04-16-19), jollick (04-17-19), RogueXI (05-10-19)
Old 04-16-19, 08:21 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Very good write-up from Gamma742. Fill in all the details I left out.

By the way, Gamma742's first photos is where you can conveniently 'jump' this car when this secondary battery is dead and you cannot bootup the electronics to run the starting process. Alternatively, you can also jump at the battery in the trunk.

Leveraging on the details Gamma742 has given and showing a safer way to do it, I will tell you how I do it AND you must know what you are getting into and take extra step to safeguard. That's why I did not want to talk about it originally. I am NOT suggesting you copy what I did. Here is what I did:

I did not have a second battery like Gama742. Took the old battery off with cables still attached, and put it down in the trunk right next to the battery tray. Dropped new battery into the tray. Loosen up the batteries cables clamps at terminals/posts on there old battery just enough but did not pull out/off. Made sure the clips on one end of the jumper cables were not touching, put clips on the other end of the jumper cables on the poles of new battery, red to positive and black to negative. Went back to the other end of the jumper cables and put the clip correctly with red to positive battery cable clamps first and securely, lastly black securely on negative cable clamps but once the clip was on the clamp, I pull the clamp off the battery terminal. To be extra foolproof, I wrapped up that clip plus the battery cable clamp with a plastic bag. Then I removed the positive battery clamp with the jumper cables clip on it off the old battery and migrated that to the positive post of the new battery. The clip of the other end of the jumper cables is still on the new battery's post when I did that. I had to make sure the clamp I was putting onto the past was in continuous contact with the post before I slid the clip off the post. That was to ensure the power flow to the electronics before I cut off the clip. Then I migrated the negative clamp with the jumper cables clip on it to the negative post of the new battery and did the same, ensured in contact before pulling off the clip.

In concept, I was using the new battery to kept the electronics powered at all time with the jumper cables before cutting off the power from the old battery. But it was clumsy procedure.

Originally Posted by gamma742
Today I did the deed..

Panasonic to Exide MX24

The first thing I would like to point out is a location to hook up a 12 volt power supply if you want to keep the car alive during the process. This will keep you from losing any of your presets such as infotainment radio stations you may have programmed.

Here is how I did it with a small 12 volt battery from my motorcycle..

After hooking up the secondary power source I removed the Negative/Ground wire from the battery. Then I removed the Secure Mount that keeps the battery from moving around while driving. This requires a 10 mm socket. I found it easiest to use a deep-well socket because the upper nut has a long way to go thread wise.. see photo:

Once the bracket is removed you can disconnect the Positive/Battery side cable and you are ready to remove and replace the battery.

Another side note, this battery has two vent ports and the opposite side come plugged from the factory. You need to remove the plug from the right side and reinstall it on the left side. Then you need to remove the factory "L" shaped plug on the hose from the Panasonic battery and use the smaller on provided with the Exide Battery. The Hose is the same size only the side that goes into the battery is different.

Now you are ready to swap..

Once the new battery is in place, secure the battery with the strap but don't over tighten. Then attach the vent hose. Next you should attach the Positive side FIRST then the Negative side. If you are using an external battery to keep the system alive, now remove the secondary power source. That's about it.. Judging from the date stenciled on the top of my battery, I think it's about 6 years old. 20th day 2nd month of 2013

And here is the finished project..

The only other thing worth mentioning is the Panasonic battery weighs 36 lbs and the Exide is 50 lbs.

I hope this help you DYI guys out there~
Old 04-18-19, 01:27 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

It seems that the Exide FP-AGM24 may have been superseded by the Exide MX24. We had a member here at CL who was reluctant to try it without being sure the MX24 would indeed work. I hope I didn't complicate the process by mentioning my keep alive method. My intent in posting was to assure others that the Exide Marathon Max (MX24) is a viable replacement for the DIY'er to use while at the same time save a few hundred dollars in the process.

It was NOT my intent to cheap out and toss any ole 12 Volt Battery in my Lexus..

I feel that since our ES300h has the battery in the trunk it may be possible for some gasses to get into the passenger compartment. Therefore, it is important to use a AGM Battery, just as Lexus did from the Factory. Secondly, I wanted to use a battery that had the option for a vent hose and not just one that would vent into the trunk. And the third hurdle to overcome, was to get one of the same size (to fit into the battery caddy) and of equal or better in capacity to the OEM Panasonic Battery.

I feel the Exide MX24 is the true champion and an excellent replacement for the Panasonic in our ES300h

A special thanks to Frmmlias without his post, I wouldn't have had the courage to attempt this myself.
Old 04-18-19, 03:31 PM
Frmmli
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gamma742. I do not think you or I are cheaping out because we understand the function of this battery, and just do not see the value in investing in the dealer's battery. I am pretty sure that Exide MX24 is now the replacement for the recently discontinued FP-AGM24 I used. (I will update my thread to indicate the update)

IF the member who asked about that is the same person I replied to a while back, I am pretty sure the MX24 is the new model/number; only short of called Exide to ask. I think mine is probably from the last batch of FP-AGM24. Of course 24 defines the dimensions(class) and the vents holes are there, other than capacity numbers I did not compare, but expect it to be the same or similar, but that is not very very critical as it is not used for actual cranking.

Echoing Gama742, we all should use AGM (partly also because it locates in the trunk and AGM with jell electrolyte can resist the shock and vibration much better ), should use one with the vent(it does emit gas) & hook up the vent hose, should be class 24 to work with the original bracket, and the posts correctly located to work with the original battery cables.

With regard to keeping the electronics powered, that is NOT the most critical because the ES does not lose the settings in the computer(s) if you do not do that but it does lose all settings set by customer (radio stations, memory seat...) nothing life and death. If you want to power it, you can do what Gama742 did, what I did and if you have another car next to you, jump from that battery to the Lexus(Gama742's photo; under the hood). Minus the optinal attempt to keep the electronics under power, it is very simple and straighforward for anyone to DIY this battery replacement and a very clean job.
Old 05-10-19, 09:54 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread and a wealth of info here. Thanks!!!

I just had this issue - yesterday actually - and needed to swap out the battery right away. Could not wait for the Exide - I saw in one of the other threads in this forum that along with Bosch and Exide, Advanced Auto Parts's store brand (Autocraft 24R) could work - details in https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...Group+Size+24R.

I jumped the AZ located 2013 es300h (directly connected the jumper cables to the battery poles on the 12V battery in the side of the trunk), and took it over to the store and they swapped the battery and the car started. Have driven about 25 miles so far. Tried most of all the things in the car like radio, moon roof, etc, and all appear to work!

The only difference that I see is that the green EV light does not come as easily as it used to in the older battery (i.e I would be in EV mode at 45 mph on flat roads after a mile of driving. But seem to get to EV only at 25 mph after a mile of driving). Am I making sense, or do I need to let the car get comfortable with the battery chemistry a bit more? Any experiences in this area?
Old 05-10-19, 11:26 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaymondV
Excellent thread and a wealth of info here. Thanks!!!

I just had this issue - yesterday actually - and needed to swap out the battery right away. Could not wait for the Exide - I saw in one of the other threads in this forum that along with Bosch and Exide, Advanced Auto Parts's store brand (Autocraft 24R) could work - details in https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...Group+Size+24R.

I jumped the AZ located 2013 es300h (directly connected the jumper cables to the battery poles on the 12V battery in the side of the trunk), and took it over to the store and they swapped the battery and the car started. Have driven about 25 miles so far. Tried most of all the things in the car like radio, moon roof, etc, and all appear to work!

The only difference that I see is that the green EV light does not come as easily as it used to in the older battery (i.e I would be in EV mode at 45 mph on flat roads after a mile of driving. But seem to get to EV only at 25 mph after a mile of driving). Am I making sense, or do I need to let the car get comfortable with the battery chemistry a bit more? Any experiences in this area?

I followed the above link and that battery looks like a replacement for the Prius. I hope it has enough juice for the ES300h

Last edited by gamma742; 05-10-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 11:56 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

By juice you mean, the AH and the CCA? ....the car appears to be doing all its things, except for the way in which the EV is kicking in!

Curious to know if the folks who have the used the Exide MX24 have seen anything like this.
Old 05-10-19, 12:25 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RaymondV
By juice you mean, the AH and the CCA? ....the car appears to be doing all its things, except for the way in which the EV is kicking in!

Curious to know if the folks who have the used the Exide MX24 have seen anything like this.
My car acts the same as it always has but there is something that you should keep in mind..

I kept my car alive throughout the swap. It never lost power. The ECM was never reset. Your ECM may be relearning your driving habits.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this.

As for the juice.. yes I had read somewhere the one Prius without SKS got one battery and the one with SKS got a more robust battery.
Old 05-13-19, 08:19 AM
RaymondV
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - the SKS and the ECM sent me googling, , now I understand. All es300hs come with SKS (right?), and the SKS in my car works smoothly - no issues after the battery swap.

Reason I ask is that I am curious if I am losing out on anything other than the battery charge life with the lower AH in the new Autocraft battery (as compared to the OEM panasonic 370$ battery!). I took the car out for a longer spin yesterday - about 50 miles, relatively flat terrain (Phoenix area!), and I got to 43 mpg!...my pre-battery swap average/norm.

Maybe the initial drop in mpg was the learning ECM (didn't realize that there is some driving style learning going on!).

The other variant in the car is that I have put on new tires around the same time - got the YOKOHAMA - YK740 GTX - was told that it is the closest to the earlier tires (factory oem) - maybe, that is playing a role in this mpg drop too. Hopefully, they all learn about each other and bring me back to the old avgs!

Quick Reply: Battery ES300H