Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 07:04 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app

Hi all, more hybrid hacking involved, I'm now using the Torque app on Android after trying to make do with a modded version of the open source AndrObd app. I'm using a cheap Bluetooth OBD adapter, the gooddriver brand seems to be a good ELM clone.

The paid version of Torque allows for custom PIDs so I loaded up a 3rd gen Prius profile to see hybrid system data on the ES300h. The ES has 17 battery banks compared to the Prius' 14 so the profile needs to be edited. Right now, I'm monitoring motor voltages and temperatures, battery bank voltages and resistance - all values look normal and I'm getting 40+ mpg on my daily commute.
Attached Thumbnails Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app-tmp_14568-screenshot_20170511-0931221718146733.png   Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app-tmp_14568-screenshot_20170511-0931171795608298.png   Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app-tmp_14568-screenshot_20170511-0931191839556724.png  
Old 05-10-17, 10:48 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

This is fantastic! I have Torque and Carista on my Android. How can Indo this?
thanks..
Old 05-10-17, 11:30 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Carista can be used to diagnose fault codes. Torque can also do this but I prefer using it for real time data and logging.

The latest version of Torque seems to have Prius and Toyota/Lexus hybrid PIDs built in. You can add them by running the Torque app and doing this:
  1. Click on Settings
  2. Click on Manage extra PIDs/sensors,
  3. Click on the dot menu button on the upper right
  4. Click Add predefined set
  5. Click Prius Gen 3 (2010+)
  6. You can then add hybrid specific values in the real time data screen.

I've attached my usual dashboard config for Torque showing temperatures for almost everything, battery block resistance and voltages. Unzip it, copy BlueES.dash to .torque/dashboards folder in your Android local drive, note the dot in the folder name.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
BlueES.zip (3.7 KB, 759 views)

Last edited by chromedome; 05-10-17 at 11:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chromedome:
mortarhead (11-07-17), NdYAG (11-07-17)
Old 05-11-17, 09:08 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Hi all, more hybrid hacking involved, I'm now using the Torque app on Android after trying to make do with a modded version of the open source AndrObd app. I'm using a cheap Bluetooth OBD adapter, the gooddriver brand seems to be a good ELM clone.

The paid version of Torque allows for custom PIDs so I loaded up a 3rd gen Prius profile to see hybrid system data on the ES300h. The ES has 17 battery banks compared to the Prius' 14 so the profile needs to be edited. Right now, I'm monitoring motor voltages and temperatures, battery bank voltages and resistance - all values look normal and I'm getting 40+ mpg on my daily commute.
Chromedome, I believe that 40+ mpg is from running on non-Ethanol gasoline. Can you confirm this?
Old 05-11-17, 05:50 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, no ethanol in this neck of the woods. It's nice to be getting close to 50 mpg on my morning commute now as I don't have to run either the heater or the AC. There's an OBD PID that shows climate control power consumption.
Old 05-11-17, 07:34 PM
zes
Advanced

I will have to get my adaptor next time I go home to Ohio. Can you also display motor current? I wonder if motor voltages and currents are higher in sport mode, relative to normal or eco mode.
Old 05-14-17, 04:43 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Chromedome, what year is your es300h? We have a 2017 so wondering if that gen Prius pid will work.
Old 05-14-17, 06:11 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

There's no motor voltage PID but I remember MG2 voltage being 600V in Sport mode vs 400V in Eco and Normal modes. There's a PID for MG1 and MG2 motor torque, maybe you can use that instead.

I checked MG2 torque from standing starts with at least 50% charge - Sport mode got 250 Nm, Eco and Normal 150 Nm. 250 Nm from essentially 0 rpm is a ton of torque. To get more you'd have to go for a GS450h, a Volt or a Tesla.

Mine is a 2014 car. These PIDs work for all ES hybrids and previous gen Camry and Avalon hybrids. I don't know if the latest Prius or Camry hybrids use the same codes.

Last edited by chromedome; 05-14-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 09:49 PM
zes
Advanced

I wonder if that is why sport mode has to be manually engaged each time he car is started. It may reduce propulsion battery life because of higher load on it.

Higher motor voltage will increase the inverter current draw because battery voltage will be the same and higher torque will also increase current.
Old 05-25-17, 04:28 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

It's an EPA reg, the car's official mileage figure is set according to the default drive mode. Presumably the ES300h got 40 mpg on the EPA test cycle in Normal or Eco mode.

Standing starts with full power in Sport mode also put a lot of stress on the drivetrain. That's 250 Nm from 0 rpm... On grippy surfaces, the car launches off the line without any tire spin. That said, the car has a gutsy midrange when going from 40-60 mph, again depending on current state of charge and if the engine's warmed up.
Old 11-07-17, 03:29 AM
mortarhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chromedome, how to edit .dash files?
Old 07-08-18, 07:21 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you ever add the necessary PIDs for the 3 additional battery banks.
Old 07-21-18, 02:42 PM
Protheos
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Carista can be used to diagnose fault codes. Torque can also do this but I prefer using it for real time data and logging.

The latest version of Torque seems to have Prius and Toyota/Lexus hybrid PIDs built in. You can add them by running the Torque app and doing this:
  1. Click on Settings
  2. Click on Manage extra PIDs/sensors,
  3. Click on the dot menu button on the upper right
  4. Click Add predefined set
  5. Click Prius Gen 3 (2010+)
  6. You can then add hybrid specific values in the real time data screen.

I've attached my usual dashboard config for Torque showing temperatures for almost everything, battery block resistance and voltages. Unzip it, copy BlueES.dash to .torque/dashboards folder in your Android local drive, note the dot in the folder name.
I hope you can help me add this blueES file, have tried for hours. I do not have a .torque/dashboards folder, NOR can I add one as the computer refuses to let me name a folder using either a . or a / . I really want to add your dashboard... All that exists in my phone files related to torque that I can find is a folder called torque logs. I searched the entire phone memory using my computer please help..
Old 08-10-18, 04:57 AM
majorlee
Driver School Candidate

i have a 2006 GS450h

got the Torque pro app and started to get it to connect

Gen2 HV, so selected the first prius option

having an issue where i cannot see any readings for any of the 14 packs + most other hybrid functions, its working/connected as other ones it can see show up in green and give a value

did a search looking for custom ones but your post leads me to believe i have done something wrong

Last edited by majorlee; 08-10-18 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-19-22, 12:47 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

@chromedome do you know how to edit the Prius PID's from 14 banks to 17 as your ES300h requires ? I have a Gen4 GS450h which has 20 banks so I'd need to do the same. Curious if the torque reading from the Prius PID will match the GS450h

Quick Reply: Hybrid systems monitoring with Torque app