ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery/Charging Issues with Leaving 2016 300h in garage for say 60-90 days???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 06:49 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery/Charging Issues with Leaving 2016 300h in garage for say 60-90 days???

I am out of town (warmer climates starting late Feb and may not be returning until mid May. I did not think of battery issues with the 300h? First how long can you leave this hybrid w/o issue and have it still start upon return?

I do not even know how you charge the hybrid battery?

If I have my son take it and drive it for awhile...how long to actually help get to full charge?

Is short...how big a problem/issue might I have now...at about 5 weeks of sitting...and what would make sense to do at this point?

Any risk of permanent battery damage or other problems?

Oh the price we pay to "be warm"...Thanks...TMR
Old 03-24-17, 09:06 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I do not have a hybrid Lexus altho Ive had Toyota Camry and Prius Hybrids. I kept a Battery Tender attached to the 12volt battery, cause its that battery that operates the computers etc including the hybrid battery.. It will trickle charge it or months. I have a quick disconnect tjhat came with ut. i now use on my bike and Mower.. as far as the Hybrid battery itself, I cannot answer that...Just trying to help with the regular 12 volt battery.
Old 03-24-17, 06:11 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I don't know if a battery tender is really necessary for shorter periods like you described but I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for taking that precaution.

In terms of my personal experience, this winter when the snow got deep we parked our ES 300h for two months and switched to the NX. My wife and I are very lucky that we can usually carpool to work. Anyway, It was just fine after about 60 days. It might be worth noting that our garage is heated so we never let it get below about 45 degrees (it gets too cold for the treadmill located in another bay otherwise) and I realize cold temps can affect battery performance.
Old 03-24-17, 08:18 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I don't know if a battery tender is really necessary for shorter periods like you described but I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for taking that precaution.

In terms of my personal experience, this winter when the snow got deep we parked our ES 300h for two months and switched to the NX. My wife and I are very lucky that we can usually carpool to work. Anyway, It was just fine after about 60 days. It might be worth noting that our garage is heated so we never let it get below about 45 degrees (it gets too cold for the treadmill located in another bay otherwise) and I realize cold temps can affect battery performance.
Interesting...most of the time it has been "OK" temps in Mpls area. Perhaps I will be OK after 2+ month away. It will be warm again when we return.

Any other experience with letting an h car sit for 2 months or more???? TomMartin
Old 03-24-17, 08:57 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm doing that right now. I wouldn't let the car sit outside in very cold temps but anything above 40 F should be fine. I pump the tires a lot higher than usual and drive the car around to get at a half charge on the battery pack before leaving it to sit. Sure miss the big half electric beast...
Old 03-27-17, 11:34 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chromedome
I'm doing that right now. I wouldn't let the car sit outside in very cold temps but anything above 40 F should be fine. I pump the tires a lot higher than usual and drive the car around to get at a half charge on the battery pack before leaving it to sit. Sure miss the big half electric beast...
Did you leave on a trickle charger? Will I likely be "OK" for 2+ months w/o charger? It sb nice and warm when I return. Thanks...TomMartin
Old 03-27-17, 12:18 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

The easiest and safest thing to do IMO is to attach a battery tender when you leave for the winter and disconnect it when you get back in the Spring. I've been doing this for years with my '66 Corvette. I was changing the battery every two years due to depletion and recharging constantly which causes sulphurization in the cells. After starting to use a BT on the 'Vette I keep a battery now about 6-7 years... I also use a 6 volt BT on the '31 Ford. Cost between $30 -$50. and last forever.
Old 03-28-17, 01:56 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bc6152
The easiest and safest thing to do IMO is to attach a battery tender when you leave for the winter and disconnect it when you get back in the Spring. I've been doing this for years with my '66 Corvette. I was changing the battery every two years due to depletion and recharging constantly which causes sulphurization in the cells. After starting to use a BT on the 'Vette I keep a battery now about 6-7 years... I also use a 6 volt BT on the '31 Ford. Cost between $30 -$50. and last forever.
Thanks BC...my problem is I am "after the fact"...ie; I forgot to think about it when we had to leave in a hurry and am now one month into a 2-2 1/2 month time away...like 2000 miles away. Trying to figure out if I should attempt to get my car started and driven for some period...or if my odds are OK if I just leave as is until I return at end of 2-2 1/2 months away??? Also, I would be less concerned if it just were a regular auto vs the hybrid 300h...don't really want to cause problems with the two battery configuration. Thanks...TomMartin
The following users liked this post:
SIMMO91 (05-24-22)
Old 03-28-17, 08:58 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Agree fully. My 99 Vette's had a large parasitic drain and so I often had to use a conventional battery charger to bring it up to starting capacity. These type batteries (and the Lexus batteries) are not designed for deep discharge which shortens their life. I replaced the Vette battery in 2002 with an Optima Yellow Top (which incidently is designed for deep discharges) and put it on a Battery Tender. That battery lasted until last year (2016)!!! My point is that you want to avoid even a moderate drain over these months since that will shorten the battery's life.
Old 04-05-17, 09:22 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Well, my wife is flying home in mid-April for a wedding shower. That will answer my question Hope all is well and she can drive enough in the week back home to charge it up pretty well. Thanks...TomMartin
Old 04-06-17, 02:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Well, my wife is flying home in mid-April for a wedding shower. That will answer my question Hope all is well and she can drive enough in the week back home to charge it up pretty well. Thanks...TomMartin
The concern is charging the 12-volt battery, not the hybrid battery. That should not take long.
The following users liked this post:
TomMartin (04-08-17)
Old 04-15-17, 07:49 AM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the ES300h there are two batteries the hybrid battery and the 12 volt batter that runs the electrics and starts the engine.
One important thing the 12 volt battery is only available from your lexus dealer and it is expensive, about $380 dollars. The best I can figure it needs to constantly put out a lot of cranking current to start the engine.
I have gone through two batteries. because mine sits for about 3 to 4 months at a time.. The 12 volt drops below the point where it can be recharged. As long as the batter has about 10 volts it will charge. below 7 volts it will not charge..

This time I keep; it on a trickle chargerer. 4 months the first time 3 months the second. Both times when I checked it was fully charged. I tried disconnecting the battery it took the car a while to reset all the computers. Iy even created a check engine condition once. The dealer reset it for me at no charge but it was a hassle.

My ES300h does a lot of sitting, I am in California so and it stays in a garage, so the cold is not a factor. I have changed a number of the electronics on the car. Added an alarm. Added remote start that works from in the office or from my cell phone. I changed the proximity door locks so they work with out having to touch the door handles. All of these changes could also be adding to the battery drain.

Bottom line unlike most batteries. If voltage drops to low you will kill the battery. You must go to the dealer for a replacement. They are not cheap.
Old 04-15-17, 08:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by andywoods
On the ES300h there are two batteries the hybrid battery and the 12 volt batter that runs the electrics and starts the engine.
One important thing the 12 volt battery is only available from your lexus dealer and it is expensive, about $380 dollars. The best I can figure it needs to constantly put out a lot of cranking current to start the engine.
I have gone through two batteries. because mine sits for about 3 to 4 months at a time.. The 12 volt drops below the point where it can be recharged. As long as the batter has about 10 volts it will charge. below 7 volts it will not charge..
This time I keep; it on a trickle chargerer. 4 months the first time 3 months the second. Both times when I checked it was fully charged. I tried disconnecting the battery it took the car a while to reset all the computers. Iy even created a check engine condition once. The dealer reset it for me at no charge but it was a hassle.

My ES300h does a lot of sitting, I am in California so and it stays in a garage, so the cold is not a factor. I have changed a number of the electronics on the car. Added an alarm. Added remote start that works from in the office or from my cell phone. I changed the proximity door locks so they work with out having to touch the door handles. All of these changes could also be adding to the battery drain.

Bottom line unlike most batteries. If voltage drops to low you will kill the battery. You must go to the dealer for a replacement. They are not cheap.
You can put any brand name 12 VDC battery in your Lexus and don't have to buy one from Lexus for $380.00. Go to Costco, spend $89.99 for a battery with the same specifications and size classification as your original and save almost $300.00. They sell Interstate which is a premium battery.
Old 04-15-17, 11:38 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by andywoods

My wife is flying back to Mpls this coming Wed which will mean the car has been sitting for just under 8 weeks...much of that time it has been pretty mild temperatures and I expect it will be warming up by this time as spring is in place in Mpls. With your existing experience with letting your ES300h sit I am curious what your guess is (or others also?)? Eight weeks in temps likely in 40s,50,60s with maybe a very few nights lower...

Will it start???

I assume nothing to do to "prepare" to start as there is not charger in place and wife would need help anyway.

Thanks...I will post what happens as a specific data point of letting sit with no trickle charger. BTW...I will likely not leave for an extended time in the future w/o a trickle charger in place!

TomMartin
Old 04-15-17, 10:24 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put any brand name 12 VDC battery in your Lexus and don't have to buy one from Lexus for $380.00. Go to Costco, spend $89.99 for a battery with the same specifications and size classification as your original and save almost $300.00. They sell Interstate which is a premium battery.
one problem is only the official battery has a place for the vent tube. other batteries have a vent but you would have to make modifications for the vent tube to fit the vents on the battery. Having the outside vent may be more as a caution then the requirement. Not sure if I would risk not having it. The other thing. Other batteries are not meant to supply the instant cranking current need to constantly restart the engine. True other batteries will start the car, IMO I don't see them holding up like the original.

Last edited by andywoods; 04-15-17 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery/Charging Issues with Leaving 2016 300h in garage for say 60-90 days???