ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 11:16 AM
Jiawa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at TLX with three dealers in two month period. Almost bought one (had it for one night). Bought an ES350 instead on the second day after test driving one.
Old 01-06-16, 11:20 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Traded in a 2012 Maxima with all options to get my 2015 ES350. The Maxima was a spacious car with awesome leather seats, quiet inside, great acceleration, nice features, comfortable ride. Only negatives were CVT and torque steer and possible concerns about Nissan long term reliability. The new Maxima with all it's features is a bargain. The 2016 $40k+ Platinum model sells for $6k off around here and even less at year's end. Even at $14k less than a 350ES UL, it's stiff competition. Just didn't want to go with another CVT!
Old 01-06-16, 05:13 PM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdamKralic
I considered a lot of cars. I was a train commuter for a looooong time and my wife and I were able to get away with sharing a car. With my new job...train commute is impossible so...

Considered and test drove: Jeep Cherokee. (Liked the looks but the ride was rough and the acceleration was weak) Ford Fusion (liked the looks but "meh" plus Fusion is what my wife drives...who wants two of the same car?) Ford Mustang GT (idk I love the looks and the acceleration is of course fantastic...but they depreciate so fast and are worth like 15 cents when you trade them in)

So then I turned to my friends for advice. One auto mechanic buddy said anything Toyota. Another buddy who writes car loans for a living said Lexus ES 350. He just bought one and he took me for a spin. I liked it.

Test drove the IS 250...thought it was non-luxurious feeling. Then I test drove the ES 350...bought it.

I like the look of the Ford Fusion as well. I rented a Fusion Titanium Edition for a trip and was pretty impressed with the car and the 30 mpg it got on the highway. I was just concerned with Ford's long term quality and reliability. It's a good looking vehicle though.

I've never been in an IS. They seem to be really well liked.
Old 01-06-16, 05:15 PM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
I had a 2010 TL coming off lease. Would have liked to buy it but Acura wanted 3k more than it was worth and not willing to deal. Also not willing to deal much on new TLX or RLX so they lost my business. I considered the Genesis but as it was a new model at the time they also wanted too much for it. Because the Acura dealer also owns a Lexus dealer 1/4 mile down the road I decided to look at Lexus. I test drove both ES and GS and settled on the ES due to incentives and use of regular gas. It also was an easy swap-off in turning in the TL for the ES. I do not regret my decision as the ES has been flawless for 1 1/2 years and gets great gas mileage for its size.

How is the TL? How would you compare the TL, ES and TLX?
Old 01-07-16, 06:28 AM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannoli
I've got both the TLX and the ES. Interestingly (and surprisingly to me), the ride and quietness are quite close. I had originally thought the TLX ride was actually softer than the ES, but now that I have the Pirelli A7 AS+ tires, I'd call it a tie. Note to Lexus, STOP using those hideous Bridgestones!

The TLX has a very nice interior, but the ES outdoes it in the 'luxury look' department, both inside and out IMO.

Handling is quite close, but I might give the edge to the TLX.

The one frustration with the TLX is the Nav. It's among the worst Navs I've ever experienced. I'm not sure what routing logic it uses, but it's very frustrating at times.

They're really both excellent cars.
Old 01-07-16, 06:59 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I did like the TL's I leased (2k, 2004, 2008 and 2010). The 04-09 generation TL were the best versions of this car both looks and performance-wise. I had no troubles with any of them though at times the tranny would shift harder than I liked. Other than the 2010's polarizing looks it was a comfortable/sporty car to drive. I do miss the ability to operate the NAV system while the car is in motion which I can't do in the ES. All the TL's were prone to rattles over time.

I was not quite as fond of the TLX in the time I spent with it. In my opinion they cheapened up some of the materials and content (no spare tire, one strut to hold up hood, etc...),. Not to mention the fact that as a brand-new car at the time I could not work with the dealership to get a decent deal. I have since read that they are having a lot of problems with the new transmission and there is even a class-action lawsuit leveled at Acura due to it. Glad now I didn't press the issue.

The ES has been marvelous with the exception as its stereotype as a "grandfather car". (I don't mind since I am a grandfather anyway)! Very roomy with easy-to-use controls. In my mind this newer generation is a bit sportier than previous ones but not as sporty as the TL was. It however is smoother-riding, has better quality construction and runs on regular gas. It is still rock-solid in the rattle department over 18 months of ownership.
Old 01-07-16, 11:44 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

After many Lexus I did look at Acura, Infiniti and even drove a Tesla (interesting car) this time only because of what I think is the worst looking spindle grill I have ever seen. But keeping in mind the Lexus service experience, the Lexus buying experience and the dealer and salesman I have always dealt with along with my wife telling me to "just get over it Dave" I special ordered an ES 350 and am really happy with it (still don't like the grill though), It is the best ES to date in my opinion.

I even considered getting a year end 2015 ES 350 at a good price but of course not a special order and I know that not moving forward with even a mid-cycle refresh car is something that is usually regretted.

Dave Mac
Old 01-09-16, 06:37 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

I tested a lot of cars. Even put them all on a spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-10-16, 06:23 AM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

That's a well done spreadsheet. You were really well armed for your decision.

How did you come up with values for reliability? I noticed you gave the Q50 low scores for GPS. How is Infiniti's different and deficient?
Old 01-10-16, 06:51 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I like the look of the Ford Fusion as well. I rented a Fusion Titanium Edition for a trip and was pretty impressed with the car and the 30 mpg it got on the highway. I was just concerned with Ford's long term quality and reliability. It's a good looking vehicle though.

Your concerns are well founded. Having had some terrible experiences with Ford sedans and horrendous repair bills, I definitely will never buy another.
Old 01-10-16, 09:18 AM
CanyonCarv
Driver School Candidate

We've had a IS350 for several years. Quality, reliability, and service were impeccable. It never skipped a beat. We also bought a Hyundai Sonata thinking it was good value for everyday use, and it disappointed us. Recently we just traded it in and got a the current ES and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-11-16, 05:48 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

That's a well done spreadsheet. You were really well armed for your decision.y

How did you come up with values for reliability? I noticed you gave the Q50 low scores for GPS. How is Infiniti's different and deficient?
I usedtruedelta and consumers for reliability. The gps on the infinit lacked traffic which is essential in nyc area. Also the infinit hybrid was strange to drive...very quirky steering, the steer by wire felt jittery. If it werent for the handling the q50's power is nice. I think they fixed it in the 2016 model, but 2015 was jittery.
Old 01-12-16, 08:14 PM
Cokey30
Driver School Candidate

Wife wanted me to trade my Camaro in so at first I was looking for a sports sedan q50 bmw530 ,well I couldn't find a slightly used 530 under warranty for what I wanted to spend and I definitely wasnt buying a bmw that wasn't certified my last 530 gave me hell. Q50 really looked great and was sporty I was sold on it until my friend that works for Toyota called me about a 2014 es350 trade they got in , so I took a look at first glance I loved the front of the car didn't care for the side profile nor did I care for the ride to old ladyissh to me. But the interior is what sold me tbh it just out classed the q50 in a way and along with toyotas reliability (that's all my wife has ever driven) I said wth lets do it..
Old 01-13-16, 05:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Cokey30
Wife wanted me to trade my Camaro in...
Reminds me of my first wife. I was happier when I traded her in!

Hope you enjoy the ES and welcome!
Old 01-13-16, 06:35 AM
Cokey30
Driver School Candidate

Thanks it's defiantly growing on me once I change the suspension to a more stiffer ride and add Wheels I will be Golden
Originally Posted by Mike728
Reminds me of my first wife. I was happier when I traded her in!

Hope you enjoy the ES and welcome!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?