ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Remote start cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 06:35 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start cost?

My dealer informed me that the 2015 ES300h has a remote start, but only if it is activated initially, which is another $1000. If you dont activate it this way, it will be a yearly subscription fee. Does that make any sense?
Old 02-26-15, 06:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

There are many owners/members that have the system that can start the car either by the key Fob or a smartphone. This requires a monthly fee. Then there's a system that uses only the key fob. This has no monthly fee. The last time I checked the cost for both installed - at my dealer - was $700.00. I believe that this price is exorbitant and went searching for an alternative. I found a system that utilizes the Lexus key fob - no extra remote is required - for $350. installed. Works identical to the factory remote start. I think that your dealer is blowing smoke at you and I would ask for more specifics. Call a couple of other dealers and ask what they want for the same system.
Old 02-26-15, 07:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
went searching for an alternative. I found a system that utilizes the Lexus key fob - no extra remote is required - for $350. installed. Works identical to the factory remote start.
We've been through this before. Your's works identically to the factory remote, up to about 100', on a good day. After that, your's blows away the factory RES.

To the OP. I don't see the Lexus Enform Remote as a stand alone option, only included with the Nav/ML audio package. If your dealer wants to add that to a lower package for $1k, and you really want it, I would just upgrade and get all three options for $2,700. You'll still have a monthly fee for the smartphone app, though.
Old 02-26-15, 10:01 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

If the car has the Lexus enform remote, does that mean you get an FOB that can remote start the car? Or is the dealer installed unit different from the enform remote?

I think I got it. The lexus enform remote is actually an app for the smart phones, but is NOT an fob. The dealer installed unit will work with the fob on the car keys, is that correct? Does this mean that I have to install an additional unit to get the fob to remote start the car?

Last edited by wowzer; 02-26-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 10:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

The one system includes the factory fob and YOUR smartphone. You can use either/or to start the car. The other system uses only your factory fob to start the car remotely. No smartphone. This information alludes to Lexus factory systems - no aftermarket jobbies. So if your dealer is trying to sell you an aftermarket system for $1000.00, I'd find another dealer...
Old 02-26-15, 10:27 AM
phonebill
Driver School Candidate

I can start my RC 350 F Sport with the key fob. I paid nothing for it, it is not listed on the sticker, and I just found it by fooling around. The enform remote only works 1 out of 3 times and is very slow. However I can start it from anywhere.
Old 02-26-15, 10:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phonebill
I can start my RC 350 F Sport with the key fob. I paid nothing for it, it is not listed on the sticker, and I just found it by fooling around. The enform remote only works 1 out of 3 times and is very slow. However I can start it from anywhere.
Apparently, there's a fix for your Enform RES issue, as others have mentioned. Your dealer should be aware.

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find lots of info in the RC section of the forums.
Old 02-26-15, 10:58 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

The one system includes the factory fob and YOUR smartphone. You can use either/or to start the car. The other system uses only your factory fob to start the car remotely. No smartphone. This information alludes to Lexus factory systems - no aftermarket jobbies. So if your dealer is trying to sell you an aftermarket system for $1000.00, I'd find another dealer...
So does this mean that you can remote start your car after the 1 year is up AND the you do NOT renew the subscription? All I want is to be able to remote start my car without paying a yearly subscription cost.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-15, 11:06 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Then forget the smartphone. You can have the Lexus factory remote start installed by your dealer that utilizes only your factory key fob, or an aftermarket system for less money that also uses your factory key fob. Neither requires a monthly fee.
Old 02-26-15, 11:12 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Then forget the smartphone. You can have the Lexus factory remote start installed by your dealer that utilizes only your factory key fob, or an aftermarket system for less money that also uses your factory key fob. Neither requires a monthly fee.
So to clarify, does this mean that if the dealer installs the remote start, then I can use the FOB to start the car, without having to pay the annual cost? I can't seem to find definitive answer to my question (which is probably because I'm not clear enough).

What I'm trying to determine is if the factory remote start needs to have the annual subscription cost. If the answer is yes, then the dealer installed remote start is what I want. I just don't want to pay money for an item that I already have....

Thanks
Old 02-26-15, 12:42 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Smartphone = monthly fee. No smartphone = no monthly fee. Start car with smartphone OR fob= monthly fee.
Start car with fob only= no monthly fee. Both systems can be installed by dealer. Both systems are factory remote start systems. It is your choice.
Old 02-26-15, 12:51 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wowzer
So to clarify, does this mean that if the dealer installs the remote start, then I can use the FOB to start the car, without having to pay the annual cost? I can't seem to find definitive answer to my question (which is probably because I'm not clear enough).

What I'm trying to determine is if the factory remote start needs to have the annual subscription cost. If the answer is yes, then the dealer installed remote start is what I want. I just don't want to pay money for an item that I already have....

Thanks
You need to find out from the dealer, what they're planning on installing. The old RES, which is what I have, is just a key FOB activated starter with no subscription fee. Its downfall is that it has a range of less than 100 feet, which is horrendous for its intended purpose. If they're going to install a smartphone based starter, you'll be required to pay a yearly fee to use it, on top of the cost of the unit and installation.
Old 02-27-15, 08:39 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Maybe this will help explain:
http://www.lexus.com/enform/

Quite a few models include Lexus Enform Remote (LER) from the factory. With the ES, it has to have Navigation. You do not need Mark Levinson. It's a telematics system built into the car from the factory. Once activated, LER will work from your smartphone AND key fob. It's free for one year. After the first year, it's an additional fee and you have to be enrolled in Safety Connect in order to have LER. So after the first year it's $220 a year for Safety Connect and LER.

Lexus does have an add on Remote Engine Start (RES) system that has to be installed into the car at the dealer. There is an upfront cost for this system but not annual charges. This only works with the key fob. Officially it isn't technically offered for cars with LER. However, as you can see some people have installed this system on top of LER.
Old 02-27-15, 09:20 AM
Franklin5
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 ES300h on order. If the one-year trial LER lapses without renewal, will the key fob still work as a remote starter?
Old 02-27-15, 09:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by offroad200
Maybe this will help explain:
http://www.lexus.com/enform/

Quite a few models include Lexus Enform Remote (LER) from the factory. With the ES, it has to have Navigation. You do not need Mark Levinson. It's a telematics system built into the car from the factory. Once activated, LER will work from your smartphone AND key fob. It's free for one year. After the first year, it's an additional fee and you have to be enrolled in Safety Connect in order to have LER. So after the first year it's $220 a year for Safety Connect and LER.

Lexus does have an add on Remote Engine Start (RES) system that has to be installed into the car at the dealer. There is an upfront cost for this system but not annual charges. This only works with the key fob. Officially it isn't technically offered for cars with LER. However, as you can see some people have installed this system on top of LER.
Good explanation. This is why two heads are better than one...

Quick Reply: Remote start cost?