ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

To Nuluxe or not to Nuluxe!?!?!? that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 01:16 PM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Nuluxe or not to Nuluxe!?!?!? that is the question.

I want to get an ES350 and I can only afford one that comes with the Nuluxe, should I have any worries?

(created a previous thread about this but worried the title didn't bring in the posters..)
Old 06-24-13, 01:46 PM
Fly4u
Banned

NuLuxe! This was a no-brainer for me as I prefer to avoid leather, and the alternatives with luxury makes are few.

I've driven four months on NuLuxe and don't notice a significant difference in the heat. IMHO NuLuxe has a soft feel superior to the many "cheap" leathers present in all but very high end autos. No issues with cleaning or appearance.

You'll have to try extensive test-drives and simply sitting in a demo to assuage any concerns.
Old 06-24-13, 08:22 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Our ES has NuLuxe and we are very happy with it. Very comfortable and looks great. Don't listen to those who will tell you they look cheap and smell funny. Look for yourself - I think you'll be more than satisfied with it. Good luck!

Last edited by gmanusmc; 06-24-13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 05:08 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Our ES has NuLuxe and we are very happy with it. Very comfortable and looks great. Don't listen to those who will tell you they look cheap and smell funny. Look for yourself - I think you'll be more than satisfied with it. Good luck!
looked at it and liked it very much, I was really impressed, I am just worried about the wear on it.
Old 06-25-13, 06:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bower
looked at it and liked it very much, I was really impressed, I am just worried about the wear on it.
If you are worried about the durability why not just opt for one of the packages that includes leather?

Last year we were shopping for BMW and MB models both of which had each brands name for vinyl and would have been fine with either especially in the MB. In the end we bought an Audi which came with leather but the seating material didn't factor in our decision.
Old 06-25-13, 09:08 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you are worried about the durability why not just opt for one of the packages that includes leather?

Last year we were shopping for BMW and MB models both of which had each brands name for vinyl and would have been fine with either especially in the MB. In the end we bought an Audi which came with leather but the seating material didn't factor in our decision.
The price factors into my decision, if I find that Nuluxe is not dependable or people have problems with it, then I will be getting a Avalon Limited.
Old 06-25-13, 10:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The price factors into my decision, if I find that Nuluxe is not dependable or people have problems with it, then I will be getting a Avalon Limited.
If it's feasible look at some pre-owned MB's with vinyl to see how they've aged. A MB rep showed us a couple to answer our questions and the cars we saw looked like new.

If still in doubt, the Avalon is a very good alternative.
Old 06-26-13, 03:03 AM
timbo813
8th Gear

My 2013 ES350 has the black Nuluxe. I've had a weird problem that I hope the forum can help me with. The seats get white streaks whenever they encounter sweat. Sometimes I come home from the gym or a hike, and afterwards I notice these white streaks. I'm not the kind of guy that sweats excessively, so this is very weird. Anyone else run into this and have a suggestion for cleaning the seats?
Old 06-26-13, 05:18 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Now this is exactly what I am wanting to know. I also run.
Old 06-26-13, 09:29 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get white smudges on non-leather components, like door panels or glove box door, not only in this car but my other cars. I've narrowed it down to something on my hands or my wife's, such as hand sanitizer or make-up. It doesn't always come off with just a damp rag, I sometimes have to use a small amount of cleaner. I like a product called "tough stuff" in a yellow spray can, comes out in a foam. I also use glass cleaner...blue can...also foam.
Old 06-26-13, 09:58 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any white residue or streaking is caused by lotion, moisturizer, or other skin oils.

Nothing to do with the material specifically!

I encounter this issue often when detailing women's vehicles!

Usually have to use a rather aggressive all purpose cleaning product because the residue is slightly 'water resistant' if you will.
Old 06-26-13, 10:42 AM
MerlotISF
Rookie

Nuluxe is a very nice alternative to the leather, yes it is a little different, but people do not notice unless you tell them, my buddies BMW 320i has the leatherette and he thought it my Nuluxe was real leather. It doesn't look cheap, IMO Nuluxe is a great choice. I have the Nuluxe in my ES350, although I do not have the heated seats, I like it. It isn't as nice as my 2013 Camry SE's leather with the Ultrasuede, but you will like it. No problems here!
Old 06-26-13, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I know the NuLuxe gets some hate, but IMHO it feels softer and more luxurious than the base leather on the ES. The semi-aniline leather on the UL model is better, but I think the NuLuxe is great.

If I were getting an ES I wouldn't be afraid of the NuLuxe.
Old 06-27-13, 02:35 PM
Braindrain
Driver School Candidate

I want to get an ES350 and I can only afford one that comes with the Nuluxe, should I have any worries?

(created a previous thread about this but worried the title didn't bring in the posters..)
Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I've had it for a few days now and notice that the Nuluxe material itself is not bad. However, it is matte and can show smudges a lot easier than leather.

Other than that, I'm pleasantly surprised with how good it is.
Old 06-27-13, 06:37 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a base model '13 ES350 loaner with nuluxe seats for 4 days before I got my car. I thought the seats were very comfortable and looked incredible. They were way better than the leatherette seats I had in my Audi.

Quick Reply: To Nuluxe or not to Nuluxe!?!?!? that is the question.