ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 04:41 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fly- The Toyota dealer did give you a big favor by letting you sit in their car. You should be so honored.
Old 06-19-13, 06:31 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Fly- The Toyota dealer did give you a big favor by letting you sit in their car. You should be so honored.
LOL! At least I didn't fart on their seat!
Old 06-19-13, 07:29 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fly4u
LOL! At least I didn't fart on their seat!
Would that be considered returning the favor?
Old 06-19-13, 08:22 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by Arty101
Would that be considered returning the favor?
Certainly! I don't hold this against the dealership or Toyota...... it was more a statement about a disinterested sales advisor. If I were seriously interested in the Avalon it would have been pursued.
Old 06-23-13, 08:38 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand this thread. Is it to say the ES interior is not as good, quality wise, to the Avalon, or that you literally mean just to switch badges? The whole exterior and interior of the Avalon design does not conform with current Lexus designs, so it would not be a fit into the Lexus lineup. The spindle grill to the "BMW"esque dash are not present in the Avalon. If you are talking quality, I have not sat in the Avalon yet, but the ES is plenty nice to me, even compared to my LS430.
Old 06-23-13, 11:49 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by Bower
Taking the looks of the vehicle out of it I can tell you the ES drive is far superior to the Avalon, forget the fancy gadgets of the Avalon and just drive the car. The ES is much quieter, when you run over bumps they feel nice and squishy in the ES while the Avalon hits them with more of a thud. Look and feel the interior and how tight things are, nothing to rattle down the road. It is a better built vehicle with a better suspension. The one downfall I noticed was the ventilated seats are much cooler in the Avalon. *shrug* my 0.2 cents.
I think your judgement might be clouded by bias for Lexus. If we took actual noise decibel measuring equipment, you'd see that the cabin of the Avalon is one of the quietest in the world.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon...road-test.html

Silent but Stately
Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels).
Old 06-23-13, 11:50 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Is it possible to make two cars have sex?

I love the exterior of the ES but I love the interior of the Avalon. If only those two could make a baby
Old 06-23-13, 11:53 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by Bower
The Lexus is quieter, drive and compare, there is no mistaking it. when you hit stuff in the Avalon you hear it more than when you hit things in the lexus, it just absorbs it.
Edmunds already did and they brought precise noise measuring equipment along with them for the ride.

The results quietly speak for themselves.
Old 06-23-13, 05:50 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
Edmunds already did and they brought precise noise measuring equipment along with them for the ride.

The results quietly speak for themselves.
I could not find the Edmunds interior noise rating for the ES, I would like to know if they had the same tires, which can make a difference.
Old 06-23-13, 10:22 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by jollick
I could not find the Edmunds interior noise rating for the ES, I would like to know if they had the same tires, which can make a difference.
The numbers are below.

Silent but Stately
Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels).
Old 06-23-13, 10:28 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

One reason the Avalon might be quieter at 70 MPH is that the slow sloping rear window is more streamlined so it cuts through the air better. Any way, I'm not going to pick a car just because it's less than one Db quieter.
Old 06-23-13, 11:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

This is the same review that cite over $4500 between the hybrid and the comparable gas Avalon - the difference is more like $ 1800 that 2 owners commented.
Old 06-24-13, 06:10 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRuger
One reason the Avalon might be quieter at 70 MPH is that the slow sloping rear window is more streamlined so it cuts through the air better. Any way, I'm not going to pick a car just because it's less than one Db quieter.
I don't think anyone would. But, if one's justification for choosing the 300h over the Avalon is the "quieter ride" then the facts say that simply isn't true.

I would pick the 300h for its exterior design and extra 1 yr of warranty. But not for its "quieter ride" and "better handling" because that's just fooling yourself.
Old 06-25-13, 05:07 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
I don't think anyone would. But, if one's justification for choosing the 300h over the Avalon is the "quieter ride" then the facts say that simply isn't true.

I would pick the 300h for its exterior design and extra 1 yr of warranty. But not for its "quieter ride" and "better handling" because that's just fooling yourself.
The ride felt softer regardless. I am sure on a flat road it may very well be the same in loudness, but go over some bumps and hear the clanks of the Avalon, while in the ES you hear softer thuds, it will seem quitter and really it is.
Old 06-25-13, 09:19 AM
Fly4u
Banned

We should just be happy there are so many choices in the automotive world, particularly in the world of "badged" automobiles that are in reality quite similar. What is most important for those caught between the Avalon and ES is to extensively test drive both - that might mean prodding the sales advisor to allow an experience better than the typically "canned" route.

Sorry for the platitudinous post, but you can't go wrong with either vehicle!

Quick Reply: Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?