ES 350 Purchase goof on NAV

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 06:43 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks DasMan!

anyone use trapster ( droid app)

- it also has traffic (red/yellow/green) overlays. speedtraps, but also a crowd sourced realtime update on conditions based on phone gps /speed.

to the OP. sure couldn't hurt to ask the dealer.... GL!
Old 01-06-13, 08:41 AM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toyota Lexus built-in NAVs (I've had five of these over the last seven years) are "okay," however, a good Garmin with a beanbag on the dash will outperform the navigation capability of the Lexus Toyota OEM GPS. As for the integration of AC, radio, media, etc., I find those fun at first, but also cumbersome and complicated while on the move. The software is not totally intuitive, and you cannot do much while on the move.

Bottom line to Nickma, you did fine - be happy with what you have purchased, buy a Garmin with a beanbag, and enjoy the ES300h ride - buy your wife a diamond ring with the difference and become a hero.

I have purchased a Garmin (not because of my gripes with the Lexus NAV, but for those times I'm in a rental), but I do find it a great second opinion when navigating on a trip in the family Lexus' - 90% of the time, it provides a better route and is easier to use than the Toyota Lexus NAV GPS. FWIW
Old 01-06-13, 09:37 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Although I completely agree that a garmin nav is superior technologically (feature-wise) , I do like having the integrated screen and not having something on the dashboard. And having the directions coming from the car speakers. I actually use my iPhone as a backup for directions.
Old 01-06-13, 12:14 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

How is the Nav on this? Personally, I love using Google's Nav app, over the one in my BMW 535xi. It's much simpler to use voice commands than typing in stuff.
Old 01-06-13, 01:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew
Although I completely agree that a garmin nav is superior technologically (feature-wise) , I do like having the integrated screen and not having something on the dashboard. And having the directions coming from the car speakers. I actually use my iPhone as a backup for directions.
With a simple audio cable from the aux output of the phone to the aux input of the radio you can have the spoken directions coming from the car speakers. I have Nav on my F, but sometimes use my Droid for navigation with this method. My truck does not have navigation and I also use this method. I have also used it on my wife's ES that has no navigation.

Lou
Old 01-06-13, 01:52 PM
es300h
Driver School Candidate

I agree, this time i bought with Nav and will never buy one without Nav.
Old 01-07-13, 04:20 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have factory nav in my chrysler not bad but no traffic. I use the google maps with traffic on my android not bad. I also have a kenwood with the gramin traffic it is horrable. Then there is the lexus nav. The points of interest is cool I can set it to show all starbucks in the area. The traffic is great and accurate. And then their is destination assistance. Everyone should have that . So much eaiser then trying to enter an address between stop lights. So far I have never got a bad agent. Unlike do a search on the nav the agents will help you try and figure out how to find a location. My only complaint is I should be able to use google maps on my tablet or home computer and share a location with Enform, instead of have to use Enform to find a location. Order of prefererance. 1. Lexus Nav and traffic, 2. Google Maps nav and traffic, 3. 2007 Chrysler, 4. 2008 chevy vette, and last and the most expensive but worst unit is the Garmin in the kenwood dnx99990.
I also agree the media interface on the Lexus is horrable. If I could get it to reconize playlist that would really help (If have over 10gig of music on a usb). I only use 5 stations on sirius so the is not bad.
Old 01-07-13, 07:45 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Hopefully, Lexus will update the software for the Media interface.

My brother has the RX Hybrid and is in the middle of a project where he can output the screen on his phone into his nav screen and use the Google Nav instead of the Lexus Nav.

Isn't the Lexus Agent a paid service?
Old 01-07-13, 08:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had the factory NAV on my last 4 Lexuses (LEXI?) and would not have one without. My wife drives a Honda Accord coupe without factory NAV and has a fancy Garmin instead. While there are a couple of things that are nice on the top of the line Garmin, we both agree that the factory NAV is the way we will go in the future. A lot of the additional cost of the NAV is repaid in trade-in price.
Steve
Old 01-12-13, 08:31 PM
UTAS
Driver

See http://lexusoverride.com/comments.php

Many Lexus owners are upset with disabled NAV input while moving. Anyone have other auto makes that are easier to use while driving?
Old 01-13-13, 03:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand why anyone with a new Lexus that includes 1 year of Destination Assist would be frustrated with the system. In any case, the voice prompts works to enter a destination while driving and is actually quite good. But again, with DA active, both manual and voice input is really not necessary.