ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 03:37 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a 2013 ES350 within the next month. However, I am having trouble liking the wood/leather steering wheel. I have always had leather steering wheels and just don't like the wood look or feel. I know it is quality wood and watched the video of how the wood steering wheel is made but I hate it! Does anyone know if I can get an all-leather steering for the ES350? I spoke with the dealer today and asked if the IS or GS all leather steering wheels would work and they said no. Does anyone else feel the same about the steering wheel? This would be my first with wood....I am almost tempted to purchase a BMW instead all because of the wood! I know it is crazy but it is driving me crazy! I would love to hear your thoughts/ideas!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-28-12, 04:25 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I too am not real excited about the wood and leather steering wheel but have learned to live with it. It is an optional wheel I think though, but I have only seen one ES without it. If it is too bothersome I assume you could order the standard leather wrapped (I assume it is leather wrapped) wheel and change it out. And I wouldn't take the salesman's word that a GS wheel would not work without further checking - it looks to be quite similar. What you want to do is find something that will use all of the airbag components without incurring that cost.

My real advice is just give it a try before doing anything.

Dave Mac
Old 12-28-12, 04:28 PM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Joe!

I can understand your concerns --- had them myself.
Just bought my first Lexus ('13 ES350) a little over a month ago, and I was concerned about the wood trim and steering wheel.....I've just never been a fan.

But, the more I looked at it (and ultimately drove away in it!), I have really come to appreciate the look.
The Dark Birds Eye Maple is VERY dark, and in fact almost looks black. I know the ES300h has the Bamboo, and that's just WAY too light for my taste.

Just my two cents worth, but I gotta say -- the wood trim grew on me in no time at all, and I really appreciate the aesthetic of it.

Good luck!

-dCota
Old 12-28-12, 04:31 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I too am not real excited about the wood and leather steering wheel but have learned to live with it. It is an optional wheel I think though, but I have only seen one ES without it. If it is too bothersome I assume you could order the standard leather wrapped (I assume it is leather wrapped) wheel and change it out. And I wouldn't take the salesman's word that a GS wheel would not work without further checking - it looks to be quite similar. What you want to do is find something that will use all of the airbag components without incurring that cost.

My real advice is just give it a try before doing anything.

Dave Mac
Thanks Dave... I appreciate the info! I thought the GS looked the same too and would fit... I can start searching on the web to see what I find.
Old 12-28-12, 04:34 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dCota
Hey Joe!

I can understand your concerns --- had them myself.
Just bought my first Lexus ('13 ES350) a little over a month ago, and I was concerned about the wood trim and steering wheel.....I've just never been a fan.

But, the more I looked at it (and ultimately drove away in it!), I have really come to appreciate the look.
The Dark Birds Eye Maple is VERY dark, and in fact almost looks black. I know the ES300h has the Bamboo, and that's just WAY too light for my taste.

Just my two cents worth, but I gotta say -- the wood trim grew on me in no time at all, and I really appreciate the aesthetic of it.

Good luck!

-dCota
Hi DCota.. I have been staring at the pics trying to convince myself it isn't that bad but the feeling is different! It seems like my hands would slip during the summer....but i agree with you... I like the Dark Birds Eye Maple... If I have to I would defintely go with that interior color and defintely want the Starfire exterior. Thanks for responding!
Old 12-28-12, 06:29 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by KratosBear
Hi DCota.. I have been staring at the pics trying to convince myself it isn't that bad but the feeling is different! It seems like my hands would slip during the summer....but i agree with you... I like the Dark Birds Eye Maple... If I have to I would defintely go with that interior color and defintely want the Starfire exterior. Thanks for responding!
Greetings:

I have owned four Lexus autos since '06, and have not had a problem with the wood / leather combo -actually, the finish is exceptionally smooth and gentle to the touch. No issue with slipping in any weather. Our latest vehicle has the bamboo, and it is beautiful - heated at the thumb holds, too. Had both dark and light colors over the years - all are very nicely crafted with the available interiors.

One of those vehicles had leather and metal on the wheel, but the wood is so much nicer.

You will like it, if not immediately, in time it will win you over.
Old 12-29-12, 06:25 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with you. its not the look its the function and feel.

There were a number of accidents linked to wooden wheels in the 60-70's. However, those were non-power steering cars.

just ordered size C off ebay. (cheapest I could find)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271002864049...84.m1439.l2649

will update after install if this fits (;/)

fwiw, I've put several wheelskins on my suv. they are high quality. but takes some time to install correctly. with the correct color, it looks factory. I actually have 3 on my 2003 now. just keep ordering thicker diameters.

Last edited by mrBillFL; 12-29-12 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-29-12, 06:07 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I'm with you. its not the look its the function and feel.

There were a number of accidents linked to wooden wheels in the 60-70's. However, those were non-power steering cars.

just ordered size C off ebay. (cheapest I could find)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271002864049...84.m1439.l2649

will update after install if this fits (;/)

fwiw, I've put several wheelskins on my suv. they are high quality. but takes some time to install correctly. with the correct color, it looks factory. I actually have 3 on my 2003 now. just keep ordering thicker diameters.
Thanks Mr. Bill! The item for the Ebay link is gone... what was it? a cover? I did see the wheelskin covers but would they fit properly over the wood/leather?
Old 12-29-12, 06:09 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UTAS
Greetings:

I have owned four Lexus autos since '06, and have not had a problem with the wood / leather combo -actually, the finish is exceptionally smooth and gentle to the touch. No issue with slipping in any weather. Our latest vehicle has the bamboo, and it is beautiful - heated at the thumb holds, too. Had both dark and light colors over the years - all are very nicely crafted with the available interiors.

One of those vehicles had leather and metal on the wheel, but the wood is so much nicer.

You will like it, if not immediately, in time it will win you over.
Thanks for the info! I am sure it will grow on me!
Old 12-29-12, 06:57 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a 2013 ES350 within the next month. However, I am having trouble liking the wood/leather steering wheel. I have always had leather steering wheels and just don't like the wood look or feel. I know it is quality wood and watched the video of how the wood steering wheel is made but I hate it! Does anyone know if I can get an all-leather steering for the ES350? I spoke with the dealer today and asked if the IS or GS all leather steering wheels would work and they said no. Does anyone else feel the same about the steering wheel? This would be my first with wood....I am almost tempted to purchase a BMW instead all because of the wood! I know it is crazy but it is driving me crazy! I would love to hear your thoughts/ideas!

Thanks,

Joe
Hi, where's this video you speak of, I haven't seen it?

I really like the feel of the steering wheel, but just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-12, 07:32 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dspcap
Hi, where's this video you speak of, I haven't seen it?

I really like the feel of the steering wheel, but just my 2 cents.
Hi, you can youtube the video "Lexus Steering Wheel" and it shows the LS wheel being made. Here is a link that shows the Lexus wheel being made too: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Steering-Wheel
Old 12-29-12, 07:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the info! I am sure it will grow on me!
Make sure that you can really get past it. It would be a shame to get the car and just not be happy with it - Or have to put some aftermarket steering wheel cover on it, if you really don't want to.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-29-12, 07:49 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Make sure that you can really get past it. It would be a shame to get the car and just not be happy with it - Or have to put some aftermarket steering wheel cover on it, if you really don't want to.

Good luck with your decision.
You are absolutely right! I called another dealer today and they said they could order me a light grey "all leather" steering wheel for $1,000.00 which is for the 2013s. Of course, I want black to match the interior and the light grey is the only color that can be ordered. I just can't win
Old 12-29-12, 09:23 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I was just filing away my ES 350 window sticker and I noticed that the Wood & Leather Trimmed Shift **** and Steering Wheel is a separate line item with a charge of $330. If you want to wait (and my wait was only about 60 days) just try to special order the car without this item. There are some items that Lexus will not build a car without but I don't know if this is one of them. I thought of ordering my luxury package car without the Wood & Leather trim but had decided against it before making the deal so never asked the question. I think the only item I did not want but had to order was the rear sunscreen and I didn't know why because they had a car without this option on the floor right in front of me but the deal was good and it was the last day to get the order in for that month and December delivery so I was okay - $210 I think.

Dave Mac
Old 12-29-12, 09:49 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazon Amazon

By my measurements size c is correct. -YMMV.

the problem with all these links is 2013 es350 / es300h is not listed.

wheelskins are top of the line covers. had them on several cars. some put multiples to get a ticker wheel.

AFAIK the 300h only comes with bamboo / leather.

will post pic when completed....

Quick Reply: Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!