ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018-247/)
-   -   Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-6th-gen-2013-2018/670926-hate-the-es350-wood-leather-steering-wheel-help.html)

KratosBear 12-28-12 03:37 PM

Hate the ES350 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - HELP!

Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a 2013 ES350 within the next month. However, I am having trouble liking the wood/leather steering wheel. I have always had leather steering wheels and just don't like the wood look or feel. I know it is quality wood and watched the video of how the wood steering wheel is made but I hate it! Does anyone know if I can get an all-leather steering for the ES350? I spoke with the dealer today and asked if the IS or GS all leather steering wheels would work and they said no. Does anyone else feel the same about the steering wheel? This would be my first with wood....I am almost tempted to purchase a BMW instead all because of the wood! I know it is crazy but it is driving me crazy! I would love to hear your thoughts/ideas! :cry:

Thanks,

Joe

Dave Mac 12-28-12 04:25 PM

I too am not real excited about the wood and leather steering wheel but have learned to live with it. It is an optional wheel I think though, but I have only seen one ES without it. If it is too bothersome I assume you could order the standard leather wrapped (I assume it is leather wrapped) wheel and change it out. And I wouldn't take the salesman's word that a GS wheel would not work without further checking - it looks to be quite similar. What you want to do is find something that will use all of the airbag components without incurring that cost.

My real advice is just give it a try before doing anything.

Dave Mac

dCota 12-28-12 04:28 PM

Hey Joe!

I can understand your concerns --- had them myself.
Just bought my first Lexus ('13 ES350) a little over a month ago, and I was concerned about the wood trim and steering wheel.....I've just never been a fan.

But, the more I looked at it (and ultimately drove away in it!), I have really come to appreciate the look.
The Dark Birds Eye Maple is VERY dark, and in fact almost looks black. I know the ES300h has the Bamboo, and that's just WAY too light for my taste.

Just my two cents worth, but I gotta say -- the wood trim grew on me in no time at all, and I really appreciate the aesthetic of it.

Good luck!

-dCota

KratosBear 12-28-12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Mac (Post 7672787)
I too am not real excited about the wood and leather steering wheel but have learned to live with it. It is an optional wheel I think though, but I have only seen one ES without it. If it is too bothersome I assume you could order the standard leather wrapped (I assume it is leather wrapped) wheel and change it out. And I wouldn't take the salesman's word that a GS wheel would not work without further checking - it looks to be quite similar. What you want to do is find something that will use all of the airbag components without incurring that cost.

My real advice is just give it a try before doing anything.

Dave Mac

Thanks Dave... I appreciate the info! I thought the GS looked the same too and would fit... I can start searching on the web to see what I find.

KratosBear 12-28-12 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by dCota (Post 7672793)
Hey Joe!

I can understand your concerns --- had them myself.
Just bought my first Lexus ('13 ES350) a little over a month ago, and I was concerned about the wood trim and steering wheel.....I've just never been a fan.

But, the more I looked at it (and ultimately drove away in it!), I have really come to appreciate the look.
The Dark Birds Eye Maple is VERY dark, and in fact almost looks black. I know the ES300h has the Bamboo, and that's just WAY too light for my taste.

Just my two cents worth, but I gotta say -- the wood trim grew on me in no time at all, and I really appreciate the aesthetic of it.

Good luck!

-dCota

Hi DCota.. I have been staring at the pics trying to convince myself it isn't that bad but the feeling is different! It seems like my hands would slip during the summer....but i agree with you... I like the Dark Birds Eye Maple... If I have to I would defintely go with that interior color and defintely want the Starfire exterior. Thanks for responding!

UTAS 12-28-12 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by KratosBear (Post 7672806)
Hi DCota.. I have been staring at the pics trying to convince myself it isn't that bad but the feeling is different! It seems like my hands would slip during the summer....but i agree with you... I like the Dark Birds Eye Maple... If I have to I would defintely go with that interior color and defintely want the Starfire exterior. Thanks for responding!

Greetings:

I have owned four Lexus autos since '06, and have not had a problem with the wood / leather combo -actually, the finish is exceptionally smooth and gentle to the touch. No issue with slipping in any weather. Our latest vehicle has the bamboo, and it is beautiful - heated at the thumb holds, too. Had both dark and light colors over the years - all are very nicely crafted with the available interiors.

One of those vehicles had leather and metal on the wheel, but the wood is so much nicer.

You will like it, if not immediately, in time it will win you over.

mrBillFL 12-29-12 06:25 AM

I'm with you. its not the look its the function and feel.

There were a number of accidents linked to wooden wheels in the 60-70's. However, those were non-power steering cars.

just ordered size C off ebay. (cheapest I could find)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271002864049...84.m1439.l2649

will update after install if this fits (;/)

fwiw, I've put several wheelskins on my suv. they are high quality. but takes some time to install correctly. with the correct color, it looks factory. I actually have 3 on my 2003 now. just keep ordering thicker diameters.

KratosBear 12-29-12 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrBillFL (Post 7673474)
I'm with you. its not the look its the function and feel.

There were a number of accidents linked to wooden wheels in the 60-70's. However, those were non-power steering cars.

just ordered size C off ebay. (cheapest I could find)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271002864049...84.m1439.l2649

will update after install if this fits (;/)

fwiw, I've put several wheelskins on my suv. they are high quality. but takes some time to install correctly. with the correct color, it looks factory. I actually have 3 on my 2003 now. just keep ordering thicker diameters.

Thanks Mr. Bill! The item for the Ebay link is gone... what was it? a cover? I did see the wheelskin covers but would they fit properly over the wood/leather?

KratosBear 12-29-12 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by UTAS (Post 7672957)
Greetings:

I have owned four Lexus autos since '06, and have not had a problem with the wood / leather combo -actually, the finish is exceptionally smooth and gentle to the touch. No issue with slipping in any weather. Our latest vehicle has the bamboo, and it is beautiful - heated at the thumb holds, too. Had both dark and light colors over the years - all are very nicely crafted with the available interiors.

One of those vehicles had leather and metal on the wheel, but the wood is so much nicer.

You will like it, if not immediately, in time it will win you over.

Thanks for the info! I am sure it will grow on me!

dspcap 12-29-12 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KratosBear (Post 7672732)
Hi Everyone,

I will be purchasing a 2013 ES350 within the next month. However, I am having trouble liking the wood/leather steering wheel. I have always had leather steering wheels and just don't like the wood look or feel. I know it is quality wood and watched the video of how the wood steering wheel is made but I hate it! Does anyone know if I can get an all-leather steering for the ES350? I spoke with the dealer today and asked if the IS or GS all leather steering wheels would work and they said no. Does anyone else feel the same about the steering wheel? This would be my first with wood....I am almost tempted to purchase a BMW instead all because of the wood! I know it is crazy but it is driving me crazy! I would love to hear your thoughts/ideas! :cry:

Thanks,

Joe

Hi, where's this video you speak of, I haven't seen it?

I really like the feel of the steering wheel, but just my 2 cents.

KratosBear 12-29-12 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by dspcap (Post 7674518)
Hi, where's this video you speak of, I haven't seen it?

I really like the feel of the steering wheel, but just my 2 cents.

Hi, you can youtube the video "Lexus Steering Wheel" and it shows the LS wheel being made. Here is a link that shows the Lexus wheel being made too: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Steering-Wheel

LexBob2 12-29-12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by KratosBear (Post 7674451)
Thanks for the info! I am sure it will grow on me!

Make sure that you can really get past it. It would be a shame to get the car and just not be happy with it - Or have to put some aftermarket steering wheel cover on it, if you really don't want to.

Good luck with your decision.

KratosBear 12-29-12 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by LexBob2 (Post 7674559)
Make sure that you can really get past it. It would be a shame to get the car and just not be happy with it - Or have to put some aftermarket steering wheel cover on it, if you really don't want to.

Good luck with your decision.

You are absolutely right! I called another dealer today and they said they could order me a light grey "all leather" steering wheel for $1,000.00 which is for the 2013s. Of course, I want black to match the interior and the light grey is the only color that can be ordered. I just can't win :egads:

Dave Mac 12-29-12 09:23 PM

I was just filing away my ES 350 window sticker and I noticed that the Wood & Leather Trimmed Shift Knob and Steering Wheel is a separate line item with a charge of $330. If you want to wait (and my wait was only about 60 days) just try to special order the car without this item. There are some items that Lexus will not build a car without but I don't know if this is one of them. I thought of ordering my luxury package car without the Wood & Leather trim but had decided against it before making the deal so never asked the question. I think the only item I did not want but had to order was the rear sunscreen and I didn't know why because they had a car without this option on the floor right in front of me but the deal was good and it was the last day to get the order in for that month and December delivery so I was okay - $210 I think.

Dave Mac

mrBillFL 12-29-12 09:49 PM

By my measurements size c is correct. -YMMV.

the problem with all these links is 2013 es350 / es300h is not listed.

wheelskins are top of the line covers. had them on several cars. some put multiples to get a ticker wheel.

AFAIK the 300h only comes with bamboo / leather.

will post pic when completed....

ElliotB 12-30-12 03:24 AM

I first starting driving a vehicle with a partial wood steering wheel a few years ago, and was hesitant about it. But, it time, I have learned to enjoy and appreciate it.

I suggest you give it a try for a while longer. You may change your mind and find like me and many others that it is really a nice touch to a great vehicle, and is usually only enjoyed by a minority of drivers who have higher end vehicles.

KratosBear 12-30-12 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ElliotB (Post 7674841)
I first starting driving a vehicle with a partial wood steering wheel a few years ago, and was hesitant about it. But, it time, I have learned to enjoy and appreciate it.

I suggest you give it a try for a while longer. You may change your mind and find like me and many others that it is really a nice touch to a great vehicle, and is usually only enjoyed by a minority of drivers who have higher end vehicles.

Thanks Elliot!

lemon397 12-30-12 09:44 AM

Should have got a heated one. you'll be surprised to see how it helps in cold weather.

Slackbus 12-30-12 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lemon397 (Post 7675083)
Should have got a heated one. you'll be surprised to see how it helps in cold weather.

The heated steering wheel turned out the be the most surprising feature for me. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but its actually my favorite option on the whole car. It feels really nice with the soft leather.

lemon397 12-30-12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Slackbus (Post 7675096)
The heated steering wheel turned out the be the most surprising feature for me. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but its actually my favorite option on the whole car. It feels really nice with the soft leather.

I had the same feeling when i turned the switch ON and felt it while driving the car back from dealership. I generally keep it ON till the car and heated seats gets warm enough and then turn it off but it really helps for that 5-10 mins.

LisaES350 12-30-12 08:05 PM

When the car was a day old I told my husband that "I don't know how I ever lived without a heated steering wheel!" One of the best comfort features for me as Well.

dochusar 12-30-12 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ElliotB (Post 7674841)

I too would concur with Elliot. I have had too many leather wrapped steering wheels so when I got the wood/leather steering wheel in LX, was not enamored of it until I drove it. It reminded me of the steering wheels of my youth in the early 60's. the wood feels well in your hand and have gotten fond of it know!

mikedege 12-31-12 10:42 AM

I would prefer an all leather wheel, but, I would also prefer one with less of a diameter, its like I'm holding onto a tree trunk. I mean this thing is phat..... :sad: lol.... but, I will take it, besides that, this car is awesome.:D

-Mike:thumbup:

mrBillFL 01-01-13 06:14 AM

I like PHAT wheels! :p

fwiw, I see a ding on my wheel at the 5 O'clock position. small but a indentation....

KratosBear 01-01-13 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mrBillFL (Post 7677615)
I like PHAT wheels! :p

fwiw, I see a ding on my wheel at the 5 O'clock position. small but a indentation....

Maybe it's a knot from the tree!

mrBillFL 01-01-13 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KratosBear (Post 7677657)
Maybe it's a knot from the tree!

^ must be in sales! LOL.

could have been my metal watch band... but is 5 o'clock, not 7oclock.....

then again, I found ballpoint ink mark on the A pillar after deliver. dealer will correct all this month... but really the prep was less than I expected....

(40psi all around, not 33 as listed on door frame).
THAT bothers me the most... since I could see women/ typical buyer not checking that till the next service. 10k miles (?)

---
edit:
A pillar pic - I can be fixed but IMHO, should have been caught by the new car prep guys.

ralphtc 05-08-17 05:54 PM

I love the wood and leather steering wheel, I always admired it everytime I saw a Lexus, now owning a CPO 2010 ES350, I love the feeling of the steering, as I've had no slipping issue at all, and have only owned the car for less than a month. I just wish they made the heated steering wheel back in 2010 included in a package. My 2010 Maxima SV with the premium package had the heated steering wheel, I'm going to miss that feature in the winter time, also I wish the steering wheel had side bolsters, but with the wood that's impossible, still love that steering wheel, makes the car so sexy.

zes 05-08-17 06:29 PM

I actually bought the car because of the wooden steering wheel. I always wanted a car with a wooden wheel. I think they add a touch of class to the car.

mtsmts 05-09-17 05:57 AM

2013 Lexus All Leather Steering Wheel

1 Attachment(s)
My 2013 Lexus ES 350 does come with all leather steering wheel but it is a base model. If my care comes with it, I am sure the dealer can special order one for you.

Poppa 05-10-17 01:48 AM

Personally I really like the wood and leather steering wheel. Loved it since day one... feels great to the touch..... I can tell you this...at the beginning of this thread you sounded as if you really really really hate it... so much so that I'm not sure you would ever come around to liking it. I don't know you so maybe you would, but just based on the tone I don't think you would ever be a fan... if that is truly the case and you hate it that much, I wouldn't buy the car... If you're like me, it will nag at you and you won't really enjoy the vehicle.. I know because when I was shopping for a car I was thinking about buying another cadillac... a friend of mine worked at the dealership and he had one caddy in the model I was interested in... only one he had and he made me one hell of an offer.. it was one of those offers that was too good to be true. The problem was I hated the color... it was silver... I didn't just dislike the color, I absolutely hated it.. but the deal was soooooo good, I told my wife I was going to go ahead and buy it... she told me if you don't like the car now before you buy it, you will definetly not like it after you buy it and are making those monthly payments.... she was right, I passed and went to Lexus where they had exactly what I wanted in the color I wanted and at a price I could live with... I'm just saying if you can't change the steering wheel out, and if you can't get passed it, you won't like it later. just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and I hope you can get it worked out to your satisfaction.

Poppa

dchar 05-10-17 09:03 AM

Someone just had to revive such an old thread...I'm sure OP has already bought an ES or has moved on somewhere else.

ralphtc 05-10-17 09:11 AM

Doesn't matter it it's an old thread, the wood steering wheel is always a good topic discussion.

norakat 06-19-17 01:22 PM

I was upset to find out that my wood / leather steering wheel actually had faux molded plastic for wood; at least my particular model.

I drive professionally and wish I had the leather wrapped version since the hard plastic hurts my hands after a while.

MSAGRO 06-19-17 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bamboo looks great in the hybrid...

SW17LS 06-21-17 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by norakat
I was upset to find out that my wood / leather steering wheel actually had faux molded plastic for wood; at least my particular model.

I drive professionally and wish I had the leather wrapped version since the hard plastic hurts my hands after a while.

It actually does not have plastic faux wood. The wood steering wheel is real wood, as is all the wood trim in your ES if so equipped.

Mike728 06-21-17 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by norakat (Post 9900866)

Are you referring to a different brand vehicle, like GM? Our ES steering wheels are real wood.

bc6152 06-21-17 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by norakat (Post 9900866)

Well, as others have pointed out, there's no plastic in your steering wheel. So sit back and relax knowing that you have a premium wood steering wheel. I would recommend investing in a pair of soft leather driving gloves for your professional driving.

norakat 06-22-17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bc6152 (Post 9902416)
Well, as others have pointed out, there's no plastic in your steering wheel. So sit back and relax knowing that you have a premium wood steering wheel. I would recommend investing in a pair of soft leather driving gloves for your professional driving.

Nope, you guys are wrong. This particular Luxury model has a plastic faux wood steering wheel and side molds/trim. It has been confirmed with Lexus.

MSAGRO 06-22-17 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, only the 2013-14 GS450h has the authentic bamboo. I think the LS600h had it too.

Each wheel hand made, made no economic sense for mass production.

Plus I currently own the GS450h and the ES300h with real and fake bamboo respectively. The GS's silky feel vs the Es's glass smooth coating.

You can can tell the difference side by side.

SW17LS 06-22-17 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by norakat (Post 9904247)
Nope, you guys are wrong. This particular Luxury model has a plastic faux wood steering wheel and side molds/trim. It has been confirmed with Lexus.

You are 100% incorrect. Where did you have this confirmed by Lexus? The dealer? If they said that they have no idea what they're talking about. The ES is a gloss bamboo vs the matte in the GS and LS, but it's still real bamboo.

No Lexus has a plastic wood steering wheel.