ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

USB Will Not Play Music

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 10:53 AM
calmondo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB Will Not Play Music

I have copied several music files onto a USB Flash Drive, and inserted the drive into the USB port in the armrest. When I select USB as the media, the screen says, “No music files found”. If I have files for an audio book on the flash drive, everything works just fine. Music NO, Audio OK. I have done this with three different flash drives, all with the same result. The music files are identified as, “MPEG-4 Audio”, the audio book as, “MP3 format sound”. I use the same “Drag & Copy” method to place the files into the flash drive. Looking for some suggestion to get the music to play.
Old 10-20-12, 12:41 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by calmondo
I have copied several music files onto a USB Flash Drive, and inserted the drive into the USB port in the armrest. When I select USB as the media, the screen says, “No music files found”. If I have files for an audio book on the flash drive, everything works just fine. Music NO, Audio OK. I have done this with three different flash drives, all with the same result. The music files are identified as, “MPEG-4 Audio”, the audio book as, “MP3 format sound”. I use the same “Drag & Copy” method to place the files into the flash drive. Looking for some suggestion to get the music to play.
Can you convert one of your music files to MP3 and put it on a flash drive? Try one to see if it works.
Old 10-20-12, 12:51 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the owners manual (page 538), the system only plays MP3 and WMA files. This explains why your audio books (MP3) play but your music (MPEG-4, or M4A) will not. I would try converting your MPEG-4 files to MP3s; my guess is that they will play fine.

Here's a link for a free M4A to MP3 converter: http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to..._4-187723.html

Last edited by jetman; 10-20-12 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 01:00 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

If you're using iTunes, you can right click on the files and choose "convert to mp3 " or "import as mp3" I forgot what the wording is.
Old 10-22-12, 12:59 PM
calmondo
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved

I posted a request for a solution to this problem two days ago, and it now has been solved. Using Jetman's (see reply #3) suggestion for a program to convert MP4 to MP3, I now have a USB Flash Drive with over 500 tunes playing through the Lexus speakers.

I found a mini flash drive with 16GB capacity that fits almost invisibility into the USB armrest port. See pictures below. The flash drive comes in 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB capacities. I am using less than 20% of my drive at present. The 16GB is priced at less than $10 on Amazon. I plan to leave it in the port and use when desired.

The technology to be able to have a 32GB drive be that small is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails USB Will Not Play Music-san-disk.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-15, 04:58 AM
Nancy40
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Any conversions on mac platform

Originally Posted by jetman
According to the owners manual (page 538), the system only plays MP3 and WMA files. This explains why your audio books (MP3) play but your music (MPEG-4, or M4A) will not. I would try converting your MPEG-4 files to MP3s; my guess is that they will play fine.

Here's a link for a free M4A to MP3 converter: http://download.cnet.com/Free-M4a-to..._4-187723.html
Old 04-14-15, 01:32 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the same problem, flash drive with tons of music from various c.d.'s would not play in my Lexus... then discovered they needed to be mp3 format... fortunately for me it was an easy fix.. the music program on my computer has multiple settings, one of which converts all music ripped from a cd to the computer to be MP3... then it's just a simple matter of dragging those songs to my 32 gig flash drive.. my only complaint is I hate the location of the usb port being in the arm rest console... that's just an inconvenient place..

Poppa
Old 05-15-15, 04:10 AM
lexus350us
Driver School Candidate

if anyone can confirm this but the Lexus USB port will not read USB 3.0 flash drives. Placed 100 MP3's on a USB 3.0 drive and it wouldnt even recognize it. Took at 16GB stick and put the same songs on them, most of them played on the 2.0 but not on the 3.0.

Having problem with the USB port when music is played that the radio would physically lock up and stop playing songs. The only way to unlock it is to physically remove the Flash Drive from the USB port, from that point turn the radio back on and start over. It freezes on the same songs, but when you turn it off and turn it back on, it will play those songs fine, then next time freeze on that song. It didnt play it, then its not an MP3 but because i does , go figure.
Old 05-15-15, 06:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus350us
Having problem with the USB port when music is played that the radio would physically lock up and stop playing songs. The only way to unlock it is to physically remove the Flash Drive from the USB port, from that point turn the radio back on and start over. It freezes on the same songs, but when you turn it off and turn it back on, it will play those songs fine, then next time freeze on that song. It didnt play it, then its not an MP3 but because i does , go figure.
If it's repeatable, as it appears from your issue description, take it in to the dealer and have it looked at. That has never happened to me and pretty much all I listen to are MP3's on a 128GB flash drive.
Old 05-17-15, 05:02 AM
USMC0331
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a 3.0 64GB flash drive with no problems playing my music. Still trying to figure out how to get my album artwork to show up though. Tried using 100x100 and 120x120 but still no luck. Just get the USB logo to show where the album artwork should be.
Old 05-18-15, 06:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by USMC0331
I use a 3.0 64GB flash drive with no problems playing my music. Still trying to figure out how to get my album artwork to show up though. Tried using 100x100 and 120x120 but still no luck. Just get the USB logo to show where the album artwork should be.
No artwork will show up while using a memory stick, just an iPod.
Old 07-26-15, 02:26 PM
haroo
Driver School Candidate

Default f

Originally Posted by lexus350us
if anyone can confirm this but the Lexus USB port will not read USB 3.0 flash drives. Placed 100 MP3's on a USB 3.0 drive and it wouldnt even recognize it. Took at 16GB stick and put the same songs on them, most of them played on the 2.0 but not on the 3.0.

I have mp3 music on a 32gb Dash Patriot Memory flash drive that is not recognized on my 2015is radio. How can you tell whether it is 2.0 or 3.0.
I have a 16gb flash drive that works fine Can't figure why one works and the other doesn't. Any idea.........thanks Haroo
Old 07-26-15, 04:00 PM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
No artwork will show up while using a memory stick, just an iPod.
I have a 16GB usb stick filled with songs from my iTunes library. About 50% of the artwork shows up. Still trying to figure out how to get it all to show. The usb stick is formatted as FAT32.
Old 07-26-15, 05:55 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by user420
I have a 16GB usb stick filled with songs from my iTunes library. About 50% of the artwork shows up. Still trying to figure out how to get it all to show. The usb stick is formatted as FAT32.
You see artwork with a memory stick? Must have been added for 2015. It's about time!
Old 07-26-15, 06:06 PM
user420
Driver

^^^ There are other issues though. The files must be in the root directory of the USB and do not not maintain the proper order from the original source. So you've got files playing from different genres/cd's in no particular order. Very frustrating. I think I'll try putting the artists in separate folders in the root directory and see if that works. As far as the artwork, it's nice when it appears on screen. Seem to remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with the metadata of the individual file as to whether or not it shows up. Still working on that one too.

Quick Reply: USB Will Not Play Music